What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
Would be interesting to see names of assistants these guys have worked with that would be a good fit here.
I'll take a shot:
David Gibbs:
UH
DL - Ricky Logo - Californian Active in Polynesian Circles
LB - Vernon Hargreaves - Coached mainly on in Florida
DB - Zack Spavital - Recruiting Coordinator coached in Houston and Oklahoma
STC (just in case) - Jamie Christiansen - Californian Listed as one of Rivals top recruiters in 2013
Virginia Destroyers
LB - Kurt Goevia - Hawaiian, played in the NFL, Currently coaching at Hawaii
Texans
LB- Johnny Holland - Texan, only coached in NFL so far

Clancy Pedergast
USC
DL- Ed Orgeron - Uber Recruiter
LB- Mike Ekeler - Played under Snyder at Kansas State
CAL
DL - Todd Howard - Texas AM grad, played for the Chiefs
LB - Kenwick Thompson - Texan and Recruiting coord at Cal, Currently with Vandy
DB - Ashley ambrose - former Buff Coach

Either of these coaches could bring some really good assistants with them.

He had some great defenses at OU under Switzer. Also coached under Saban and Andy Reid (and the great Romeo Crennel...). He watched a player kill himself and managed to seem to stay stable. But mostly, I imagine he could put together a hell of a defensive staff while getting the most out of the players.
If he comes here, he may witness fans killing themselves if he doesn't turn the defense around.

Looks like the Dominoes are falling:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-john-chavis-heading-texas-aggies-lsu-tigers

Seems to reinforce that Durkin is probably going to UM since he was a top candidate for the Aggies job too

P.S. Why is there so much interest in G Gibbs all of the sudden? You guys are making me nervous. Past his prime for college DC IMHO. Sure there are some positive traits there but I am not going to be thrilled, even though he is arguably a step up from Baer.

Clancy is on LSU's radar.
I just don't feel Pendergast is coming to CU. Not b/c we couldn't be worthy, and it sounds like we can pay a competitive wage, but it feels like he is holding out for something else. Would certainly be hard to compete head on with LSU for the same role even if salaries were similar. A DC would know he is starting with close to a full deck at LSU. But if you like to prove you can rebuild quickly, CU offers lots of upside on the defensive side of the ball.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-john-chavis-heading-texas-aggies-lsu-tigers

Seems to reinforce that Durkin is probably going to UM since he was a top candidate for the Aggies job too

P.S. Why is there so much interest in G Gibbs all of the sudden? You guys are making me nervous. Past his prime for college DC IMHO. Sure there are some positive traits there but I am not going to be thrilled, even though he is arguably a step up from Baer.

He and MM were both on the Cowboys' staff during the same period.

I just don't feel Pendergast is coming to CU. Not b/c we couldn't be worthy, and it sounds like we can pay a competitive wage, but it feels like he is holding out for something else. Would certainly be hard to compete head on with LSU for the same role even if salaries were similar. A DC would know he is starting with close to a full deck at LSU. But if you like to prove you can rebuild quickly, CU offers lots of upside on the defensive side of the ball.

If true, simplifies things quite a bit I would think.

I think we get Durkin at 1 mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we're used to not getting our first, second, or third choices, so we're already rationalizing the inevitable 4th choice as being not so awful.

I think we get Durkin at 1 mil.

I'm starting to agree-I think word would have leaked on a footballscoop or coachingsearch.com if Durkin was the guy Harbaugh wanted....and I'm wondering if its because people want to see what he can do if he works for somebody who isn't as involved defensively as Muschamp was with him....would be our HUGE gain on the recruiting trail if we could get him........

I was told there would be no math.

SIAP, but it appears that there may be some ballet box shenanigans at play. This isn't one of those places you'd expect to see that occur like Iraq, North Korea, or Chicago.

poll results.PNG

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=400610213

not sure when this was written but .....

Gibbs expects to stay on as the defensive coordinator for new coach Tom Herman. The former Ohio State offensive coordinator was hired Dec. 16 as Levine's permanent replacement, though Herman will remain with the Buckeyes through their playoff run.
A few weeks ago. And having gone back and tracked the social media and interviews, it appears this statement came from a response Gibbs gave to a question from a reporter on his future plans. It seemed like traditional politically correct coaches speak rather than a serious commitment.

Can't believe he stays at UH when he has legit options in B5.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=400610213

not sure when this was written but .....

Gibbs expects to stay on as the defensive coordinator for new coach Tom Herman. The former Ohio State offensive coordinator was hired Dec. 16 as Levine's permanent replacement, though Herman will remain with the Buckeyes through their playoff run.

As far as Gibbs, I don't think this is a big deal.....Doesn't explain why he talked to Texas Tech-I'd stay at Houston over going there if I were him. I think taking the CU gig is a no-brainer for him if its offered. More money, your alma mater, and if things go well next year and in '16, he gets head coach feelers. I don't see David Gibbs turning this gig down if we offer it to him.

As far as Durkin, everything I've read about him and Michigan says he wants to go there....not necessarily that the interest is mutual. In fact, I saw a couple things coming out of Detroit that say Harbaugh's wants Lance Anderson from Stanford. Call me crazy, but I still think we are an option for him. Why? He's had interest from Texas A&M and North Carolina. Its public that he's said no to North Carolina, and A&M is going with Chavis.....Could they have seen an opportunity with Chavis and pounced on it? Sure, but I think their interest in Durkin was too public for this to have happened. He turned them down.

Pendergast isn't coming here. If he was, this deal would be done already. I don't think its a bad thing-I've read and seen here that he doesn't like to recruit. Doesn't make sense given what MM says he wants in his next DC.

Thinking David Gibbs is announced shortly after the Houston game tomorrow, or by Monday. Wonder if they didn't seal the deal days ago, but are holding off to avoid distractions before his bowl.

He seems like an innovative DC and have to imagine things will improve greatly under him if he is the guy. My top choice is Pendergast, but if that is cooking the lid is on pretty tight.

If we pay a million for a DC then we should be getting a top p5 DC. Only the very top assistants in the country are in that range. Durkin was making $500K at Florida.

Assistant Salarie

Gibbs is making $400K at Houston.

Last edited:
If harbaugh looks elsewhere, I think Durkin is a definite possibility. I am starting to get real anxious, hope it's settled soon.

From phone

Back