What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Facilities

Bohn has said that improved football facilities are next on the list. The basketball facility is already paying dividends. It's probably one of the best, if not the best practice facility in the league. It's certainly the newest. Let everybody else build their football facility and we'll build one that's just a bit better once they're done.

Not sure about that...I'm assuming the new basketball palace that Knight built at Oregon in memory of his son has a practice facility.

There is a point where the ROI is pretty small. All I am saying is I do not think we need to have the biggest baddest practice facility just to say we have the biggest baddest practice facility. If it is well in line with other top conference programs, we will be fine.

Agreed. I think we just need to keep up with the par, but give it some style and a good design/architecture. little aesthetic additions might be easy and just make it stand out to recruits a little more.

Or we could strive for the best possible, not sure why we want to just be average.

Or we could strive for the best possible, not sure why we want to just be average.

Sometimes you really are a pain in the ass, you know that? Nobody said anything about being average. The point is that we don't need to have the greatest facilities in the world. We just need to be pretty good. We need to be respectable. We will never have the kind of financial backing that Oregon has or that Texas has, so we will never have those kinds of facilities. What we need is something that won't make recruits scratch us off their lists.

Agreed. I think we just need to keep up with the par, but give it some style and a good design/architecture. little aesthetic additions might be easy and just make it stand out to recruits a little more.

Sometimes you really are a pain in the ass, you know that? Nobody said anything about being average. The point is that we don't need to have the greatest facilities in the world. We just need to be pretty good. We need to be respectable. We will never have the kind of financial backing that Oregon has or that Texas has, so we will never have those kinds of facilities. What we need is something that won't make recruits scratch us off their lists.
Sounds kind of average to me but whatever.

And yes I know I'm a pain in the ass.

I'd agree about the ROI but if we build a top of the line facility, we'll be at the top of the Pac 12 in that area. I don't know though, I like to have the best of the best.
We will never be able to out do Oregon. 2nd or 3rd best will be great due to the Boulder factor.

Yes football facilities...BUT I personally want Bohn to address our T&F facilities. I'm sure Wetmore would appreciate some money pumped into his program a little. Before expanding sports, let's make our current ones a little better. I think Hempen also deserves some money into his program. T&F and women's soccer are programs where a few dollars could go a long ways.

If you want to do facilities upgrades, now is the time. Construction rates are low, bond rates are low, and the future TV money is actually guaranteed. wait a few years and bonds won't be as cheap and inflation could really cut into how far the same money goes. I believe Cal's stadium bonds qualified for these rebuild america bonds subsidized by the feds- which effectively lowered interest rates by a percent or two and saves a couple million a year (or more) on the yearly payments.

You need something to sell recruits on besides facilities. I agree we need upgrades, but we're never going to compete with schools like Texas or Oregon when it comes to facilities. I would much rather have elite coaches and decent facilities than decent coaches and elite facilities. How many championships has T Boone Pickens University won lately? It's because despite endless financial resources it's still an average education, with decent coaches in Stillwater.

CU has more to offer, so it's less important that we overspend on extravagant facilities...really good facilities will do just fine.

I don't think it's likely that anyone in the PAC, or maybe the entire country, can compete with Oregon in this regard. The amount of money Phil Knight has poured in (and the way they let him do it -- they lease the land to him for the duration of construction, he builds whatever he wants, and then gifts it back to the University)

http://www.oregongridiron.com/facilities.html (Make sure to click on Locker Room and Treatment Center)

That said, being in the same league (and not being the worst) is worth a huge amount.

im not one for hyperbole, but that **** might be unmatched globally

kranker scheiss

You need something to sell recruits on besides facilities.

Think this might suffice?
CUB-0007%20CU%20Roof%20Tops%20at%20S%20copy.jpg

Also don't forget guys, yeah Boulder is great but the conference is chalk full of beautiful campuses as well, UCLA, Stanford, and UW are pretty damn nice, there is a much lower percentage of ugly places in unappealing locations compared to the Big 12.

Also don't forget guys, yeah Boulder is great but the conference is chalk full of beautiful campuses as well, UCLA, Stanford, and UW are pretty damn nice, there is a much lower percentage of ugly places in unappealing locations compared to the Big 12.

You can say that again:

3523153613_6263c7a8dd.jpg

Yes football facilities...BUT I personally want Bohn to address our T&F facilities. I'm sure Wetmore would appreciate some money pumped into his program a little. Before expanding sports, let's make our current ones a little better. I think Hempen also deserves some money into his program. T&F and women's soccer are programs where a few dollars could go a long ways.

Agree and I think you could kill two birds with one stone if they built the fieldhouse north of Franklin field that they had in mind in the 2001 Master Plan. It had an indoor track going around the practice field which of course could really help out the track and cross country team especially in Jan/Feb snow storm days.

For those of you who haven't been to Husky Stadium you should definitely make it up that way. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for nearly 4 years and have attended games at both UO and UW. Beautiful place. I think the renovation proposed on the right is scheduled to be completed by the 2013 season.

university-of-washington-stadiums-automatically-imported-aerial-views-of-university-of-washingto.jpgHuskyStadium_night_big.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
For those of you who haven't been to Husky Stadium you should definitely make it up that way. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for nearly 4 years. Beautiful place. I think the renovation proposed on the right is scheduled to be completed by the 2013 season.

They are removing the track from that stadium and lowering the field to add more seats to the lower bowl. That place is already loud and will get even louder. The Buffs will travel to Husky Stadium this season and then come back to the new Husky Stadium in 2015 (CU will miss UW in '13 and '14).

In this thread, CU will have the BEST facilities in the WORLD and win NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!! in football even though we haven't had a winning season in five years and have 0 legitimate quarterbacks on our roster. Why? Because of the TV contract! Oh and Boulder is really nice.

In this thread, CU will have the BEST facilities in the WORLD and win NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!! in football even though we haven't had a winning season in five years and have 0 legitimate quarterbacks on our roster. Why? Because of the TV contract! Oh and Boulder is really nice.

We know that we can recruit well to the location and the university. Even Hawkins was able to score a top 25 class. We also know that producing a football team that wins consistently is the norm. 1989 to 1996 is an outlier, as is the last 5 years under Hawkins as well as the Fairbanks era. Our norm over the history of the program is to win about 2/3 of our games. I don't think it's a stretch to say that with good coaching hires and a major increase in revenues driving facility improvement (which have always been mediocre), that winning 3/4 of our games on average into the future becomes the norm. It's aggressive, but it's firmly based in reality. CU football is a sleeping giant right now.

Come on Mr. Anshutz! Get your wallet out! The Phil Anschutz Atletic Center. Doesn't that sound nice? Name it after your kids if you want.

Last edited:
But don't forget beautiful Manhattan, KS
Mannhattan, KS.jpg

Last edited:

Careful! This sounds like something a Husker Fan would say! LOL!

Not invited to the Big Ten Boards until July 1st.

Anyway, can't a 2nd rate Buff fan chime in around here? Or is this board becoming only for the "Pac 12 elitists"?

You can stick around. Just mind your manners, boy.

You're like all of those mid-grade professional athletes who want to live the lavish lifestyle with the best of the best stuff: cars, houses, $1k kicks, etc. So then you become bankrupt because you were living outside of your means. We can't afford the best of the best. Deal with it.

You're like all of those mid-grade professional athletes who want to live the lavish lifestyle with the best of the best stuff: cars, houses, $1k kicks, etc. So then you become bankrupt because you were living outside of your means. We can't afford the best of the best. Deal with it.

:nod:

Back