What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Folsom area construction

i was cruising home through the open area with the Ralphie statue between the SW corner of Folsom and Muenzinger this afternoon. and they've mounted 4 steel posts in concrete (tore up some of the bricks) about 20-25 feet high along Colorado. the area fenced off and 3 guys and a concrete mixer working.

i asked one of the guys what they were doing and he said they were putting in columns for entry to the stadium on gamedays. he said they were going to be "pretty fancy". he also used the word "arches"...should be interesting.

any one know anything about this? i assume they'll be in the standard CU quarry brick as edifice? some new element to the stadium walk?

seems kinda cosmetic given the financial situ around campus and with the AD....but that's a different discussion.

I saw that the other day. It looked like 4 flag poles to me. The columns were not big enough to do any stone arches between them plus I did not see enough structural members to support anything heavy.

I don't think the cost should be all that much if it is just flag poles.

I saw that the other day. It looked like 4 flag poles to me. The columns were not big enough to do any stone arches between them plus I did not see enough structural members to support anything heavy.

I don't think the cost should be all that much if it is just flag poles.

The specs say it has to be built Unicorn high, Longhorn strong and Husker tight.

So, I just looked out the window and it got me thinking that you all might want to know what Folsom will look like when you show up for the rocky mountain beatdown in a few weeks.

The flagpoles appear to be done. They aren't flying any flags yet but I'll be excited to see how they look on gameday. Perhaps more exciting (at least to my inner three year old that is fixated by any and all things related to construction) is the other project in the stadium plaza. They are putting in a giant pole to hold permanent lighting and it's just laying on its side with all of the fixtures on it. The really exciting part will be when they lift it up on Wednesday morning. I plan on being at work early with my camera to document this event. Stay tuned for pictures (I forgot my camera today).

interesting thing about the flag-poles is they have the old, pre-Bohn CU logo on them. they look good but sort of clutter up the space IMO. i'm sure they'll look nifty on gamedays.

the permanent light towers are here. lying on the ground north and south of Balch. each is a SERIOUS piece of metal.

the one south of Balch extends laying along the ground from about the Balch door 3/4 of the way to Colorado. i'd guess about 15 feet in diameter at the bottom.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, a nice gate/wrought iron fence type deal would be a nice addition. Take away all the crappy ticket "chutes" and put up some good looking entryways into the stadium complex. I'd be in favor of it.

Nice to hear someone else say that, I think the way they have the students and others enter those retarded chutes is horrible. It's like a freakin stampede! Put up some money and get legit entrances.

i was cruising home through the open area with the Ralphie statue between the SW corner of Folsom and Muenzinger this afternoon. and they've mounted 4 steel posts in concrete (tore up some of the bricks) about 20-25 feet high along Colorado. the area fenced off and 3 guys and a concrete mixer working.

i asked one of the guys what they were doing and he said they were putting in columns for entry to the stadium on gamedays. he said they were going to be "pretty fancy". he also used the word "arches"...should be interesting.

any one know anything about this? i assume they'll be in the standard CU quarry brick as edifice? some new element to the stadium walk?

seems kinda cosmetic given the financial situ around campus and with the AD....but that's a different discussion.
They are puttin in a McDonalds.

According to Bohn, those pillars are part of a new gate system for game day. I got this info from a new feature I just found on cubuffs.com. They are doing short video clips and have a whole bunch there. There's the "2 minute drill" with Bohn along with a bunch of "10 questions" with the new football players. The info on the construction was in the first "2 minute drill" from 8/10. All kinds of stuff in the archives. And its all free. Check it out. On the right side of the www.cubuffs.com home page, click on "free clips" then "archives".

There's pictures in that "2 minute drill" I mentioned. Bohn is standing in that area for the clip... you can see the pillars and some of the new lighting work. Try this link. Hope it works since this is my first try using tinyurl
http://tinyurl.com/2minutedrill

There's pictures in that "2 minute drill" I mentioned. Bohn is standing in that area for the clip... you can see the pillars and some of the new lighting work. Try this link. Hope it works since this is my first try using tinyurl
http://tinyurl.com/2minutedrill

Thanks, that helps.

Nice to get a wide shot from someone with a camera tho!

I think it is going to look pretty good

golden buff will hook us up later today i believe.

Indeed I will. I took the pictures already but I forgot my cable and I don't have a card reader on my work computer so it'll have to wait until I get home tonight. The light pole goes up early tomorrow morning so I'll try and post pictures of that at a later date.

Upon reflection, I feel like calling that monster a light pole is an understatement on par with, "we're going to beat the piss out of the sheep-humpers from up north" Some serious candlepower in that thing...

:eek:fftopic:So, how is the new Folsom construction going?

So here, as promised are some pics of the new construction. As you can see, there's still some work to be done but it's looking pretty good. Thankfully, someone from the athletic department will be documenting the light lift so you'll have to get that from cubuffs.com. I know my ass isn't getting over there at 5:00 am.

long view.jpg

pole.jpg

Reactions: dio
There are new developments regarding the plaza. It seems semi-permanent gates are getting installed to replace the old rent-a-gate style of gamedays past. The gates slide into holes that are capped off after gameday when the gates get removed. The gates are heavy steel paited black and look good between the new flagpoles. It's just one more new improvment to the stadium that will improve gamedays at CU. GO BUFFS!

dsc00328v.jpg

note the old CU logo on the columns. why? why change if we are going to build something new and put the old one one it. it makes no sense. maybe the slanted one can't be cut into stone? but, that seems unlikely.

i liked the blocky logo (old) better on the helmets/ralphie logo and on my gear....but, this is just weird.

Back