1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New(ish) Member Joining the Stampede

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by skinsfan55, Jun 12, 2013.

1. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

Hey there,

This is going to sound a little odd, but I'm kind of new to college football. See, I grew up in New England. There were no real college football teams to root for. It was never popular with my peers, so I never really had much of an interest in following any particular team. I did eventually grow fond of the Washington Redskins. I love football, I'm a passionate Skins fan, but I always felt as if I was missing something because I wasn't invested in the college game. Recruiting, student sections, All-Americans... it all seemed pretty awesome, but I had no one to root for.

I figured it was time to pick a team to root for.

I've lived in Colorado now since 2001 (Colorado Springs for a year, Durango for college + a few years and back to the Springs about 4 years ago.) I've been attending post grad classes at UCCS for over a year, everything I've read about HCMM and his staff seems awesome, the team has nowhere to go but up, I was a big Kordell Stewart fan in the pros and I love the idea of a program like CU crawling their way back to the top of the pile. I decided to cast my lot with the Buffs.

Honest to God, I can't explain why... but with all the reading I've done, message boards I've followed, apparel I bought... I feel really invested in this team. I look forward to the rebuilding effort!

Buffalo Brad and Darth Snow like this.
  2. skinsfan55

I did have a question though. All our recruits for the class of 2014 are unrated on ESPN. Is it common for these rating agencies to adjust their scouting reports as the players complete their senior seasons? For instance, is it possible that ESPN upgrades one of our recruits from NR to 3 stars or more?

CVilleBuff likes this.
  3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Yeah they'll be rated as time goes on, although ESPN isn't well regarded for their recruiting coverage but each of the recruiting services do periodic updates.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Welcome!

I think you'll enjoy college sports more than you ever thought possible. It's still big business and corporate, but it doesn't feel that way. Maybe because colleges competed in sports before it made money, continue to compete in most sports despite losing money at them, and there would still be college football even if ESPN and the Vegas sports books ceased to exist. So, I guess it isn't all about the money.

Regarding ESPN recruit rankings:

1. They haven't fully committed to recruiting as part of their business model. Coverage is spotty.
    2. CU is rebuilding so isn't attracting the Top 150 prospects, which are really the only ones that ESPN knows a damn thing about.
    3. All of the premium recruiting services (Rivals, Scout, 247sports & ESPN) will regularly update through February signing day based on offer lists, camp performances, senior season & sometimes their own film review or direct scouting.

We cover recruiting in some pretty good forums on AllBuffs where we focus on compiling the info that's out there. If you see anything you don't like on the site, 96_Buff is our complaint department moderator.

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

**** ya. welcome. takes a special kind of person to choose the buffs right now. Well done!

6. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

They all get upgraded to five stars when they commit to Notre Dame; otherwise, the rating system is a mystery.

7. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Skins fan is a 5 star CU commit in my book. Welcome. I would recommend you post more and join us for sackygate.

8. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Welcome! Would you say star ratings or offer lists are more important.?

Semper Gumby

9. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Be sure to address 96 with a hearty "**** YOU!" the first time you lodge a compliant/make a suggestion.

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Welcome. Go Buffs

11. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

All I can say is it can be painful to be a Buff Fan but I would not trade it for the world. We are going thru a down period that has lasted almost a decade but we finally have what looks like a real football coach so we will see if we can get back to respectability in the next 3 years.

By the way, go all in and get behind the bball team! Tad is building something special and the team is freaking fun to watch.

Now go and get me a samich and a beer newb!

12. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Welcome skinsfan. I am also at UCCS, for MBA. Maybe we can exchange a "Go Buffs" on campus. What is the UCCS mascot anyway, a kitty or something? Not much exposure in the Business School to that stuff. Go Buffs!

13. skinsfan55

The UCCS mascot is a Mountain Lion... but since their colors are exactly the same, I think they're a lot closer to their parent school than places like UAB, UTEP and others.

Anyway, Boulder is a scant 90 minutes away and I have friends up in Parker who will help cut the driving time down. I look forward to seeing a live game this season.

14. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

You should bookmark this thread and then when the buffs are on top of the world again you can show evedence that you became a fan at our lowest.

15. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Welcome Skins. For many years we have had our highs and lows and everything in between. Yes, we are a optimistic bunch here and at this point in time have only one direction to go, UP.

16. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Glad to have you, but I do question your sanity.[video=youtube;DvOHbxBAEN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvOHbxBAEN8[/video]

17. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

fify.....

Oh, and Darth and Dio are a "special" kind of people.....in a short-bus kind of way!

18. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Allbuffs is the shortbus. Look around, you're one of us now.

19. Darth Snow

Also, Buffenuf believes you can learn all football skills in 3 weeks. Not sure why that's relevant here, but I figured it could be.

20. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Because after 3 weeks he forgets everything and has to climb back on that damn short bus.

21. skinsfan55

Well, whenever I play dynasty in NCAA, franchise in Madden or franchise in The Show I tend to pick the worst teams and try to turn them into a dynasty... :nod:

22. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

Be sure to check out politics and religion, we have plenty of atheists and Bible thumpers, but it might be nice to hear your Newish perspective on things.

23. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I'm all for the New(ish) people who come out of the wilderness and find the Allbuff's promised land.

Barzill could be named Barzion.

24. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Oh you poor bastard what have you done to yourself?

25. skinsfan55

Let's just say... my political leanings are a bit out of place in Colorado Springs.

26. Darth Snow

like polygamy eh? you will fit right in.

27. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

That just seems like more problems to me.

28. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Welcome, bro. ESPN is the worst place to go for recruiting coverage. You'll honestly gather much more from the AllBuffs recruiting forum (or Barzil if you pony up).

29. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Sadly he means "pony up" in the most literal sense. It's a weird hazing ritual directed by the Junta. It's just best not to resist.

30. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Welcome. Have you ever had an In N Out burger?