What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New name: Mike Gundy

I'm not sure if Gundy is actually in the market, or if his agent is in the market for getting his client a raise.

I'm not sure if Gundy is actually in the market, or if his agent is in the market for getting his client a raise.

Big 12 is getting a nice raise from the old media contract...might as well have some of that money! :thumbsup:

Gundy's skill position recruits always seem a bit "sketchy" and his defenses have sucked big-time! Plus he never had to build anything, Boone just handed him the keys.

Anderson has much better upside, liking him (and the Stanford DC) a bunch.

Gundy's skill position recruits always seem a bit "sketchy" and his defenses have sucked big-time! Plus he never had to build anything, Boone just handed him the keys.

Anderson has much better upside, liking him (and the Stanford DC) a bunch.

I had been a big advocate of the Stanford DC - but looking at his resume a bit more I have cooled. Fangio has 1 year of college coordinator experience. Prior to that, he spent 24 years in the NFL. Granted, most of that 24 years was as a defensive coordinator for one team or another. He has tremendous experience as a defensive coordinator.

But he has ONE (1) year's worth of experience in the college ranks. And that one (1) year is the PRESENT YEAR. He has absolutely no recruiting ties, no recruiting relationships, and chances are he doesn't recruit very much at Stanford, anyway.

Lots of rumors here in Oklahoma that Mike Gundy is not getting along with his AD and TBoone.

He's getting a lot of play for Ark and Tenn jobs. He makes about $3.25 mil.

Would you be interested in the Buffs going after him?

IMHO, Gundy is not going to come to Boulder, even if Bohn says pretty please, with $3M on top. Gundy has endless streams of money and support where he is at right now. I cannot reconcile in my mind why he would even consider stepping into a program where there is very little financial and donar support. It makes no sense. There is no upside for him.

Bohner is going to find another "diamond in the rough" ex coordinator or small time head coach, not an established world beater. We are going to all go who? Who? Then Bohn is going to cross his fingers and hope it works out like he has done the past two times. The good thing is I do not believe Bohn will make the mistake of hiring a position coach again.

I had been a big advocate of the Stanford DC - but looking at his resume a bit more I have cooled. Fangio has 1 year of college coordinator experience. Prior to that, he spent 24 years in the NFL. Granted, most of that 24 years was as a defensive coordinator for one team or another. He has tremendous experience as a defensive coordinator.

But he has ONE (1) year's worth of experience in the college ranks. And that one (1) year is the PRESENT YEAR. He has absolutely no recruiting ties, no recruiting relationships, and chances are he doesn't recruit very much at Stanford, anyway.

Derek Mason is the DC at Stanford now (since 2011). Fangio is the 49ers DC now....

IMHO, Gundy is not going to come to Boulder, even if Bohn says pretty please, with $3M on top. Gundy has endless streams of money and support where he is at right now. I cannot reconcile in my mind why he would even consider stepping into a program where there is very little financial and donar support. It makes no sense. There is no upside for him.

Bohner is going to find another "diamond in the rough" ex coordinator or small time head coach, not an established world beater. We are going to all go who? Who? Then Bohn is going to cross his fingers and hope it works out like he has done the past two times. The good thing is I do not believe Bohn will make the mistake of hiring a position coach again.
Really good post. We need to be prepared to be (initially) disappointed with the hire, then within 48 hours talk ourselves into it, then be prepared for a mixed recruiting class, then be prepared for an up-and-down 2013 season.

I just don't think that we are going to get a huge name in here. There aren't many out there, and we are competing with alot of programs that have just as much money as we do that aren't a smoldering crater.

We are going to hire a guy who sees CU as a challenge ("we've been at the top - are you good enough to take us back there?"), has an ego big enough to take on the challenge, and wants to settle his family here. Guys who are coming from a safety net and/or are looking for a safety net are not going to come here.

Really good post. We need to be prepared to be (initially) disappointed with the hire, then within 48 hours talk ourselves into it, then be prepared for a mixed recruiting class, then be prepared for an up-and-down 2013 season.

I just don't think that we are going to get a huge name in here. There aren't many out there, and we are competing with alot of programs that have just as much money as we do that aren't a smoldering crater.

We are going to hire a guy who sees CU as a challenge ("we've been at the top - are you good enough to take us back there?"), has an ego big enough to take on the challenge, and wants to settle his family here. Guys who are coming from a safety net and/or are looking for a safety net are not going to come here.

I'll take and up & down season compared to 2012's season of all down. Honestly though, a 4 win season next year is about the best case scenario far as I see. Unless we get a miracle like Mack Brown and he brings in some of those recruits committed to UTerus already.

Can't get it done? You mean winning a conference championship and winning a BCS bowl doesn't count as "getting it done"?

Was that because they were good? Or because OU had a down year? Or because Nebraska & Texas A&M (and CU) had left the Big 12?

There is a reason that he might be available.

I think we can all agree that CU is an utter **** show. Gundy has NEVER been in a bad situation. He has been at OSU in some capacity for his whole career. He was OC under Les and inherited his guys. He has had one of the richest men in America showering his program with cash. I am pretty sure Gundy has no concerns about desks or water.

Asking him to navigate through our mess of a program would be like asking Donald Trump to give ups The Apprentice to spend the rest of his career on Survivor.

Was that because they were good? Or because OU had a down year? Or because Nebraska & Texas A&M (and CU) had left the Big 12?

There is a reason that he might be available.

I think we can all agree that CU is an utter **** show. Gundy has NEVER been in a bad situation. He has been at OSU in some capacity for his whole career. He was OC under Les and inherited his guys. He has had one of the richest men in America showering his program with cash. I am pretty sure Gundy has no concerns about desks or water.

Asking him to navigate through our mess of a program would be like asking Donald Trump to give ups The Apprentice to spend the rest of his career on Survivor.

you don't know much about the Miles era at OSU. First thing GUndy did was run off a lot of Miles criminal types. and at OSU that's far out stuff. you also don't watch much football. Gundy has one the best, most balanced offenses going for years....with him or Larry Fedora as OC, whoever. guy is good. balanced run pass O, look it up on the NCAA site.

OSU is always going to be #2 in Oklahoma, #7 or something in the Dallas Media....even when they win.

maybe OU and UT were down last year....but is that the argument you made when Mac won the Big 8 in non 1990 years. it's a football season...OU and NU were down? winning is not a referendum on the past. you win you win. did Mac win because NU was down? or Bama was down? or USC was Down?

i love guy's offense....run/pass balance. i thought we should have considered larry fedora when we hired embree.

Last edited:
but i do love some of the logic in the thread that he's not good enough for us because he's interviewing for jobs that aren't the bottom we've hit.

great stuff buff fans.

but is that the argument you made when Mac won the Big 8 in non 1990 years. it's a football season...OU and NU were down? winning is not a referendum on the past. ............ did Mac win because NU was down? or Bama was down? or USC was Down?

i love guy's offense....run/pass balance. i thought we should have considered larry fedora when we hired embree.

Holgorson was the true genius at OC for OSU, not Fedora. He showed it this year at WVA, just don't ask him to have anything to do with defense.

As for taking advantage with down teams, as you very well know, Mac never dodged any team at home or away and several times Nebraska and OK came in here highly ranked or CU played there against highly ranked teams. Barnett was the guy who caught teams when they were going through turmoil in both the Big 10 and in the Big 8/12. When the big dogs got sorted out, GB's teams reverted to their natural level.

Still not sure Gundy is very "clean" in recruiting. His teams always seem to have more than a few sketchy 4 & 5 star types.

you don't know much about the Miles era at OSU. First thing GUndy did was run off a lot of Miles criminal types. and at OSU that's far out stuff. you also don't watch much football. Gundy has one the best, most balanced offenses going for years....with him or Larry Fedora as OC, whoever. guy is good. balanced run pass O, look it up on the NCAA site.

OSU is always going to be #2 in Oklahoma, #7 or something in the Dallas Media....even when they win.

maybe OU and UT were down last year....but is that the argument you made when Mac won the Big 8 in non 1990 years. it's a football season...OU and NU were down? winning is not a referendum on the past. you win you win. did Mac win because NU was down? or Bama was down? or USC was Down?

I was working for OSU when Miles left and Gundy took over, so got to watch the house clean (lots of less than stand-up players were shown the door) and subsequent rebuild (pre-mega millons from Pickens). Recruiting behind Texas, TAMU and OU in that region, he always has competitive teams. His defense is somewhat questionable, but so is every defense in the Big 12. Last year he beat a very good Stanford team and has had very good skill players drafted for the past 3 years. I can't imagine he is coming here, but who ever gets Gundy is getting a great coach and person.

Holgorson was the true genius at OC for OSU, not Fedora. He showed it this year at WVA, just don't ask him to have anything to do with defense.

As for taking advantage with down teams, as you very well know, Mac never dodged any team at home or away and several times Nebraska and OK came in here highly ranked or CU played there against highly ranked teams. Barnett was the guy who caught teams when they were going through turmoil in both the Big 10 and in the Big 8/12. When the big dogs got sorted out, GB's teams reverted to their natural level.

Still not sure Gundy is very "clean" in recruiting. His teams always seem to have more than a few sketchy 4 & 5 star types.

I think your facts are slightly off.

Holgerson didn't join OSU's staff until after Fedora left. (i.e. Fedora leaving was the reason OSU hired Holgerson) After Holgerson left, Todd Monken came on. Monken was the OC last year when OSU won the Big 12 and won the Fiesta Bowl.

Mac may not have dodged any teams - but the fact of the matter is, it took OU and OSU going on major probation for McCartney to beat either Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. (McCartney went 1-13 against OU/OSU pre-major probation, his one victory coming against OSU in 1986) When McCartney was winning the Big 8 there was only one team in the conference besides Colorado that was ranked - and that was Nebraska. It's a much different world, today.

If I remember correctly, back in the day he said that OSU should never lose to CU (or something like that.) Unless he's changed his opinion of CU, I'd guess his chances of being the next HC are exactly zero.

If I remember correctly, back in the day he said that OSU should never lose to CU (or something like that.) Unless he's changed his opinion of CU, I'd guess his chances of being the next HC are exactly zero.

He never said that - Barry Switzer said it when recruiting for OU about 25 years ago....He told a recruit that CU was a nice program but they would never beat the Sooners while the recruit was there (at CU).

Last edited:
We don't deserve a good coach if Gundy is not good enough for you guys. One of the Best coaches in College football today.

What a bunch of BS. You don't have one fact correct in your post. Barnett beat a Nebraska team in 2001 that came in ranked #1 in the country (not down at all). Texas was ranked #3, We also beat a number 12 KSU team, #25 Texas A&M team, - CU played 7 ranked teams that year going 5-2 against. Nothing to do with anyone being down.

Nice character assassination on the players without any facts presented.

Can't get it done? You mean winning a conference championship and winning a BCS bowl doesn't count as "getting it done"?

No ****, what a stupid comment. Perhaps he got it done in spite of being #7 in his recruiting market. Along with the T. Boone money comes ridiculous expectations and pressure. Gundy has thrived in spite of it.

We don't deserve a good coach if Gundy is not good enough for you guys. One of the Best coaches in College football today.

Yep.

It's kind of ridiculous how some of these coaches are nitpicked. Heck, 2 years ago it looked like UGA might actually fire Richt and there were a good number of people here saying they wouldn't want him at CU.

Back