1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New OC Possibilities (if Kiesau leaves)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buttermaker, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

With the possibility of Eric Kiesau heading to Portland State as Head Coach and with some of the recent coaches that have been fired or are going to be fired, there are going to be some guys looking for work. What are your thoughts on the following as potential OCs:

Mark Mangino: Probably least likely because we can't afford what he could get as an assistant, but you never know. He has been a Big 8 / Big 12 offense guy for 20 years. Always seemed to get the most out of his players and offenses seemed very disciplined.

Steve Kragthorpe: Originally from Montana, coached at Texas A&M, put together some pretty good teams at Tulsa but did not work out at Louisville. Texas ties and has been an OC multiple times.

JD Brookhart: Born and raised in Colorado. Coached for Denver Broncos under Shannahan. Has been OC and a head coach. Has been coaching in Ohio for awhile so probably has good connections for recruiting in a state that we have done well in lately (Speedy, Rippy, etc)

Others? Discuss...

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Chuck Long would be at the top of my list, but I think Kiesau is staying.

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Nevada OC :smile2:

4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I actually like the idea of Mangino at OC, we could use his fiery attitude. Although I doubt Hawk would want him on the staff since I'm pretty sure Mangino isn't in favor of giving out juiceboxes after every practice. :smile2:

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Porbably NEVER going to happen, but what about Gary Kubiak? He'll be fired in Houston, I'm afraid.

6. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

he's probably a little too radioactive for our admin, but i wonder what Hal Mumme is up to these days?

7. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

He won't need to take a college assistant job. He'll be able to get college HC job, or a coordinator position in the NFL.

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I pray I'm wrong, but I wonder if our WR coach may not get the job....

9. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

i bet hawkins would promote denver johnson or kent riddle to offensive coordinator if kiesau leaves

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

True dat.

11. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

If kiesau leaves, please please hire bsomeone who understands running the ****ing football. Nothing spread. I ****ing hate that offense.

12. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Thank you.

13. Darth Snow

Nevada OC

14. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I hope Kiseau stays, I think he learned a lot this year, he had some pretty good plays designed towards the end of the year. I have faith that he can turn it around if the OL isn't awful and he gets a full offseason to implement his system.

EDIT: Nice, I failed to respond to what this thread is about. I'd love to see Kragthorpe or Long in here if Kiseau leaves. Not sure what other out of work OCs are lying around. One thing is for sure, no more learning on the job OCs. We need some previous experience calling plays this year.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  15. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

No way Riddle or Johnson gets hired. Kiesau is also the QB coach, adding the OC job and the QB job to Riddle (who already does TE/Special Teams) or Johnson would be too much. If, and thats a big if, Kiesau leaves we would HAVE to bring someone else in

16. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I really doubt that Mark Mangino or Gary Kubaik would be interested in being OC at CU.

17. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Thank you for sticking to the topic. I did not consider Long but I think he would be a nice addition too. I agree that Kubiak would not need to take a job like CU. He could be an NFL coordinator next year

IF Kiesau leaves, this is what it boils down to - this is big boy football and we need somebody with solid experience calling plays. However, I wonder if Hawk's ego would allow somebody on staff with that type of experience.

18. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Cody says he wants to coach. Daddy will probably make him the youngest OC in Div-1 football. 5-yd curl FTMV!

19. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Riddle would be allsome - Espy for QB!

20. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

I laughed at first, but sadly you are right.

21. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

You need an OL that can block before than can happen. That will take 2 recruiting cycles more than likely.

22. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

I would put a 0% chance that Chuck Long will give up a free $700,000 in 2010 to take on the possibly temporary job of CU's OC duties and its 1-year $250,000 salary.

Chris Klenakis (Nevada OC) would be great as he has OC and OL coaching background to improve that aspect of the game. We could easily double his current salary.

Karl Dorrell might be possible as OC as well.

23. Darth Snow

yes!!!!

24. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

25. ScottyBuff

If Groh's staff are let go at UVA, then I would add another to the "wish list":

Dave Borbely, former CU OL coach and current UVA OL/Running game coordinator

26. Buffnik

Nice call. CU ties. Only age 50, so experienced but not old. Successful everywhere he's been. Virginia's had a couple 1st round OL picks since he's been there, CU was tops in the Big 12 North with him and putting out some NFL guys. Before that he was OL coach at both Notre Dame and Stanford.

Main issue I have with him is that he's not a great recruiter.

27. ScottyBuff

Which fits into Hawk not wanting his Coordinators to be recruiters.

Probably too good to be true. Hawk bringing back a guy from the Barnett era would give the Admin ****-fits and would mean his "burnt to the ground" comments would have to be explained.

28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

As long as he fixes the OL next year, I can accept him not recruiting much. We seem to have some pretty decent recruiters already on staff, Ambrose being promoted should help even more.

29. Buffnik

You know what? If our administration and/or regents blocked a hire because he didn't meet CU's standards for emphasizing conduct/academics with his players... after the guy successfully worked at Stanford, Notre Dame, and Virginia... then I just ****ing give up. :lol:

30. Darth Snow

sounds a lot like firing a coach for performance after going 7 and 5 and then keeping a guy for going 3 and 9 in his 4th year to me :huh: