What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Pac 12 division alginment idea

Thanks Guys!

I created this plan, and it is not entirely different from a true zipper, but it does take into account some of the issues that people have with ignoring geography and some of the issues that geographical plans have in geographical exclusion. I'm glad to see that some of you like it.

North/South divisions still make the most sense - scheduling can still keep California teams playing and WA/OR teams in So Cal each year. It would require 10 conference games, however, for example for USC to play Stanford, Cal, and one each from WA and OR each year. Times, they are a-changing, so why not 10 conference games?

My thought:

*North/South Divisions. I think we all know how those would lay out, so I'm not gonna re-hash that.

*9 conference games

*The only team you play every year is your traditional rival

*Then play 8 of the other 10 teams on a rotating basis, regardless of division

So the divisions mainly exist to determine who goes to the CCG, but they don't dictate schedules.

Split up USC and UCLA in the scheduling so that every team plays at least one of those teams every year. Also, every non-LA team would have a game in LA 4 out of every 5 years, under this setup.

Thoughts?

I thought I read in some article or when Scott was on College Football Live recently that it wasn't going to be finalized until October. I'll post a link if I find it.

That's what I thought, too. I almost posted "October" last night but I couldn't remember whether I got that from a legitimate source or another message board asshole.

Scott said they have looked at three basic models: geographic divisions, the so-called "zipper" divisions, in which each of the six geographic pairings (Arizona-Arizona State, USC-UCLA, Stanford-Cal, Oregon-Oregon State, Washington-Washington State, Colorado-Utah) would be separated, or a hybrid of the two ideas.

Whatever the makeup of the divisions, Scott said, "If you're going to play nine conference games, you'll play five in your division and four out of six teams in the other division. You're going to play an L.A. team every year and you're going to get to L.A. at least two of every three years."

One issue with the "zipper" plan, Scott said, is that the rivalry games played in the last couple of weeks of the season would become inter-division games. That introduces the possibility of rematches in the Pac-12 Championship Game. To solve that issue, Scott said, the league will discuss moving those rivalries to the middle of the season.

League athletic directors will discuss these options at a meeting Friday. Scott said he doesn't expect that a decision will be made before the league presidents meet in October
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5415175

North/South divisions still make the most sense - scheduling can still keep California teams playing and WA/OR teams in So Cal each year. It would require 10 conference games, however, for example for USC to play Stanford, Cal, and one each from WA and OR each year. Times, they are a-changing, so why not 10 conference games?

The problem with 10 conference games is twofold:

1. We're at a competetive disadvantage against other conferences who only play 8 conference games. The Big 12 champ will have likeley played 3-4 cupcakes to start the season, while the Pac 12 champ only plays 2, max. Not only does it become less likely that a Pac 12 champ goes undefeated (and to the mNC title game), but we'd be much more beat up by the end of the season.

2. It's boring - less variety in scheduling and less opportunity to schedule interesting out of conference games.

Way too unbalanced The "Left" division is stacked. USC looks like they'd be a virtual lock to play in the championship game every year. Trade Washington for Washington State / Oregon for Oregon State / or Cal for Stanford and it looks a lot better.

USC always plays (Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State, Washington State, Arizona State, and Utah) and two of (Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado)

Depending on how the rotation works they could play Oregon St, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Utah etc..

My thought:

*North/South Divisions. I think we all know how those would lay out, so I'm not gonna re-hash that.

*9 conference games

*The only team you play every year is your traditional rival

*Then play 8 of the other 10 teams on a rotating basis, regardless of division

So the divisions mainly exist to determine who goes to the CCG, but they don't dictate schedules.

Split up USC and UCLA in the scheduling so that every team plays at least one of those teams every year. Also, every non-LA team would have a game in LA 4 out of every 5 years, under this setup.

Thoughts?

NCAA rule to hold a CCG is that each division champion has to be determined by a full round-robin, so you MUST play everyone in your division each year.

Other interesting piece of information from Jon Wilner at College Hotline & San Jose Mercury News:

Pac-10 expansion: Deputy commish Weiberg on logistics of the division split

* How does the league go about creating the various division and scheduling models?

Members of the office staff, Weiberg said, are working in conjunction with a Colorado-based company(Bortz Media and Sports Group) that advises professional leagues and college conferences on, among other things, scheduling.

Any of the Pac-10/12’s athletics directors can request computer models of multi-year schedules that would result from various division format.
The focus, Weiberg said, is “frequency of games.”

I see a California zipper with mods. Split the NorCal and SoCal schools so one of each goes north and vice versa. They go for this because they'll get to keep the complete intra-Cali round robin thing with 2 games left vs the opposite division's remaining 4 schools.

That leaves the NW schools and the "mountzona" schools playing 3.5 games a year vs eachother, 0.5 games a year vs the opposite div Cali schools, and the regular 5 in-divsion games.

Simple.

BTW before some lamer asks how you can play 1/2 a game....um do it every other year.

Whatever they do, I really hope that either Cal or Stanford ends up in the same division as CU. Having family in NoCal (heh), I'd be amenable to making the trek to the Bay area.

If given the choice between Cal and Stanford, I'll choose Stanford. It's on the same side of the bridge (only about 30 minutes, actually) from where my family lives. Better tailgating opportunities, too.

Whatever they do, I really hope that either Cal or Stanford ends up in the same division as CU. Having family in NoCal (heh), I'd be amenable to making the trek to the Bay area.

If given the choice between Cal and Stanford, I'll choose Stanford. It's on the same side of the bridge (only about 30 minutes, actually) from where my family lives. Better tailgating opportunities, too.

...and you dont' have to drill through as many hippies to get to the game.

Back