What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

new rivalries

I'm not sure you fully grasp how rivalries work. Hate is a significant contributing factor.

I think it can be a rivalry for a little while, until the series is a little more even, within 2-4 W either way. I don't take that school/FB team very seriously for the most part.

Despite VT dominating UVA lately, that's a clear in-state rivalry. There's no team either side would rather beat in the regular season for 98% of the fan base. It's a game that can make a bad season into one much sweeter.

For CU, our only way for rivalries is to continuously be in the thick of it to win the South and reach the P12CG. That's where our rivalries will from - facing a UU or someone with the stakes high year after year. Although unlike some of you, I'd like to play Nebraska on a semi-regular basis and keep it as somewhat of a historic rivalry. With conference realignment separating so many rivals, bowl games and OOC games provide a link to keep historic rivalries somewhat alive.
sorry dude, but a strong 30 - 40% of VT alums view Miami as our chief rival.

sorry dude, but a strong 30 - 40% of VT alums view Miami as our chief rival.

Not the sense I get at all as a longtime VA resident. That's like the element of UVA that insist on UNC as VT is beneath as an institution and UVA/UNC is the oldest rivalry in the South, but two sparring state schools are rivals. Miami is a great secondary rivalry, but a private school with no fans 1,000 miles away isn't VT's chief rival. Miami and VT had a lot on the line in the late 90s/early 00s. Those things come and go. In-state rivalries stay.

I don't see neighbors doing these things as pranks with Miami fan yards. This is from my neighborhood (someone left a present for a VT fan when he got back from vacation, it's the size of a logo at midfield), and it goes back and forth. Nor UVA vanity plates saying "V-agina" or VT-Sux. There's no doubt UVA's struggles have put a damper with the division being on the line when they two met only a couple times so far in the ACC, but message board and office chatter makes it clear where the rivalry stands. It's natural for kids who went to HS together. It isn't Clemson/SC, but it's a good, long-standing rivalry. It doesn't have the nastiness you'll find in BigXII rivalries, but there's no love lost and it extends beyond football. These things are cyclical. UVA had Tech's number in the Welsh days, now they have UVA's. And never forget who got you where you are in terms on conference affiliation ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8749.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
CU needs to win the South this year and beat USC next year for them to start caring about us as rivals. It's coming, but we gotta win one first.

Tennesssee - Florida is a rivalry, they also have a rivalry with Kentucky, they have a website and everything lol
Penn State - Boys over a certain age
Texas A&M - None, now
Arkansas - For the most part, ole miss is a big rival for them. Lsu as well
LSU - arkansas and the forward passing game
VA Tech - meh, no mean soirited rival i could find.

There are big games and certainly opponents they care more about, but nothing like certain programs that have that one game.

Really I don't disagree with you, but some of the above are big rivals to those schools. Not Ou/ texas or army / navy level, but still, rivals none the less.

If a considerable degree of "hate" is a, or maybe even the, major factor in determining who is or is not a "rival" ... I should think that those self-righteous hypocritical assholes down in Waco would have to be a natural choice ... at least from our point of view.

Problem is ... they probably don't give two ****s about us, other than possibly a lingering and incessant bitterness towards us for "stealing" their PAC 12 bid, which of course they had no chance to get anyway. Now that I think of it, this could have some major possibilities! If only we were in the same conference!

Nebraska can suck a bag of dicks...**** those guys. That's a rivalry. If a meteor crashed into Earth, only hitting Nebraska and wiping that godforsaken *** stain off of planet Earth I would stand up and cheer, and ask if I could get the meteor's autograph.
I have no use for Texas. **** Texas!

THAT'S the spirit!! :D

P.S. You forgot ****bailer

Rivalries feed on history, proximity, and close games.
They also require that you play one another, so I don't know why anyone would suggest Texas? That makes no sense.
We lack proximity to all the Pac-12 Schools (not that we were particularly close to any of the Big 12 schools). We don't have a history with most of the schools, beyond historical footnotes and the odd series we had before joining the league. The UU series from the turn of the 20th century into the 1960's is almost completely forgotten.

One of the largest issues is that the Pac-12 has been so consistent in membership, largely unchanged since the 1920's, and is very nicely paired, such that every team already has a rivalry or two.
Stan-Cal, USC, Notre Dame
Cal-Stanford, UCLA
USC-UCLA, Notre Dame
UCLA- USC, Cal
Oregon- OSU, UW
OSU - Oregon
UW- WSU, Oregon
WSU - UW
Arizona - ASU
All those rivalries are a century or so old, and have so much history and regional significance they are hard to ever recreate. Even the non-rivalry games have a long history.
Utah already has a deep-seeded rivalry with BYU that exists on so many levels it will be difficult to supplant. That said, if close, meaningful games follow, a rivalry can develop (UU has shown a desire to lessen the vitriolic relationship with BYU anyway). That said, I don't run into nearly as many UU alums in Colorado, shared border or not, as other Pac-12 schools or midwestern schools. Utah folks seem to stay in Utah (at least that's my experience).
I think the Arizona schools are somewhat plausible for us, as they're relatively close and may occupy a similar place on the totem pole in the south as us, realistically (on a 25-50 year view).
We will never supplant USC and UCLA's rivalry with one another, or the USC-ND rivalry. That said, if you beat a team in big games and recruit their back yard, they aren't liable to like you too much.
Developing a rivalry with a north team is tough because of scheduling.
That all said, every Pac-12 team has been kicking our *** for the entire time up to now that we have been in this league. We have a lot of scores to settle, and animosity will develop as we begin to contend. Rivalries are the largely greatest part of college football, it is something that CU has certainly missed. You can't buy history, and you can't manufacture rivalries, and for that reason, I'm happy we are playing NU in the future a few times.

USC is never going to care about us as a "rival" in the traditional sense. They just have too much else going on in closer proximity with California schools and Notre Dame. That's fine. It doesn't mean we can't have things get competitive and heated if we start to get our share of South and Pac12 titles, but rival? Highly unlikely.

Just keep winning and things will happen. The best thing we've done for ourselves thus far in the Pac (pretty sad that this is the highlight) was knocking Utah out of winning the South by winning in SLC in 2011. Granted, we couldn't follow up on that by descending into our worst seasons in history, but those are the situations that form rivalries. Utah and BYU will fade over time if they don't start playing every season. There will always be that hatred, but a loss to BYU doesn't kill Utah's Rose Bowl hopes. A loss to CU will.

What cracks me up is that 95% of Pac 12 fans have no idea of the sleeping giant that is Colorado football. Colorado is at the top of tier 2 in the conference just below USC (tier 1) alongside Washington and UCLA. They think we are a cute story now, but will enjoy as Colorado is one of the dominant programs in the conference and will have the best traveled and most annoying fan base in the conference. The rivalries are coming.

What cracks me up is that 95% of Pac 12 fans have no idea of the sleeping giant that is Colorado football. Colorado is at the top of tier 2 in the conference just below USC (tier 1) alongside Washington and UCLA. They think we are a cute story now, but will enjoy as Colorado is one of the dominant programs in the conference and will have the best traveled and most annoying fan base in the conference. The rivalries are coming.

The ignorance is astounding, especially when you get away from message boards and into more casual land. It's like this is some cute little Cinderella story. I understand it to some degree with kids who are 18, but so-called fans in their 30s and 40s should know better. It's not like we haven't met Pac teams (and beaten them) before we joined. It's going to make it all the sweeter to keep pummeling teams year in and year out. As I posted last night, we're about to be in our 29th bowl, which despite our last decade of woes - at a time when bowls become so prevalent that 2/3 of the conference were making them each year - still has us above most teams in the conference and right about even with Oregon and ASU. We're well ahead of Stanford and Cal in bowl appearances, among others.

Great points all around by everyone, except the longhorn crap. I'm beginning to dislike Utah , being late in the season , and this year meaning something. USC will have UCLA and the domers. Huskies could amount to something too. I think for most of the fan base around here it will always be that team that borders us. I have actually missed playing The bugeaters and would exchange them for the lammies as well

I don't get why more people are kind of just "meh" on Utah.

Their coach is a dick.

They joined the conference from the Mountain West and have had more success than us. That's really ****ing annoying right there.

They call themselves the 'U' and actually tell people they did it first.

Their hand sign is stupid. (We better not ever get a stupid hand sign - we're not idiots like Texas, we're not Johnny come latelys like Oregon, nor are we ripoff turds like Utah.)

They call their basketball coach Coach K. As if the "U" thing wasn't offensive enough.

Okay, now I'm just feeling sorry for them. But they have had more success than us, their football coach is a dick, and they're standing in the way of our goals, so **** them.

Their coach is a dick.

They joined the conference from the Mountain West and have had more success than us. That's really ****ing annoying right there.

Their hand sign is stupid. (We better not ever get a stupid hand sign - we're not idiots like Texas, we're not Johnny come latelys like Oregon, nor are we ripoff turds like Utah.)

They call their basketball coach Coach K. As if the "U" thing wasn't offensive enough.

Okay, now I'm just feeling sorry for them. But they have had more success than us, their football coach is a dick, and they're standing in the way of our goals, so **** them.

And they're *gasp* ... RED!!! (at least predominately). We hate Red!!! :mad:**

** and yes ... I'm aware of the apparent irony of posting an anger emoji that is at least arguably red. But whatcha gonna do?

Florida is a pretty big rivalry with Tennessee, no?

What about Wisconsin? Minnesota? Texas Tech? ****Baylor? TCU? Kentucky? Missouri? Clemson? I'm not saying these teams don't have "rivals", but if they do, I'm not really aware of them.
I know most Wiscy fans says "I f'ing HATE Ohio State."
As for:
Kentucky - Louisville and North Carolina are pretty big
Missouri - Kansas is a pretty hated foe. Thanks conference realignment.
Clemson - they play South Carolina on rivalry week every year.

In terms of proximity - that is pretty key. If a bunch of frat boys can't just drive through the night to a rivals campus and vandalize it and steal their mascot, it's not really a rivalry. I'm kinda serious.

It's pretty hard to hate a PAC 12 team. Try hating a cup of hot tea, a kitten, or cotton candy. It just doesn't work. I will root for the Buffs with great emotion and gusto each week, but the opponents are just a series of replaceable faceless nonentities. Although I don't like that mindless USC mini-song, and the douchey Trojan guy is ridiculous.

Their coach is a dick.

meh

It's pretty hard to hate a PAC 12 team. Try hating a cup of hot tea, a kitten, or cotton candy. It just doesn't work. I will root for the Buffs with great emotion and gusto each week, but the opponents are just a series of replaceable faceless nonentities. Although I don't like that mindless USC mini-song, and the douchey Trojan guy is ridiculous.

Actually, I kinda hate cotton candy. It makes my teeth hurt.

Rivalries feed on history, proximity, and close games.
They also require that you play one another, so I don't know why anyone would suggest Texas? That makes no sense.
We lack proximity to all the Pac-12 Schools (not that we were particularly close to any of the Big 12 schools). We don't have a history with most of the schools, beyond historical footnotes and the odd series we had before joining the league. The UU series from the turn of the 20th century into the 1960's is almost completely forgotten.

One of the largest issues is that the Pac-12 has been so consistent in membership, largely unchanged since the 1920's, and is very nicely paired, such that every team already has a rivalry or two.
Stan-Cal, USC, Notre Dame
Cal-Stanford, UCLA
USC-UCLA, Notre Dame
UCLA- USC, Cal
Oregon- OSU, UW
OSU - Oregon
UW- WSU, Oregon
WSU - UW
Arizona - ASU
All those rivalries are a century or so old, and have so much history and regional significance they are hard to ever recreate. Even the non-rivalry games have a long history.
Utah already has a deep-seeded rivalry with BYU that exists on so many levels it will be difficult to supplant. That said, if close, meaningful games follow, a rivalry can develop (UU has shown a desire to lessen the vitriolic relationship with BYU anyway). That said, I don't run into nearly as many UU alums in Colorado, shared border or not, as other Pac-12 schools or midwestern schools. Utah folks seem to stay in Utah (at least that's my experience).
I think the Arizona schools are somewhat plausible for us, as they're relatively close and may occupy a similar place on the totem pole in the south as us, realistically (on a 25-50 year view).
We will never supplant USC and UCLA's rivalry with one another, or the USC-ND rivalry. That said, if you beat a team in big games and recruit their back yard, they aren't liable to like you too much.
Developing a rivalry with a north team is tough because of scheduling.
That all said, every Pac-12 team has been kicking our *** for the entire time up to now that we have been in this league. We have a lot of scores to settle, and animosity will develop as we begin to contend. Rivalries are the largely greatest part of college football, it is something that CU has certainly missed. You can't buy history, and you can't manufacture rivalries, and for that reason, I'm happy we are playing NU in the future a few times.
If you check the historic record, CU and Utah were heated rivals in the old Rocky Mountain conference and that goes back a long ways. No "manufacturing" necessary and its fully supported by history. My dad scored tickets for a game in CU's undefeated 1961 season, the Utah game. Utah won 21-14, ruining an otherwise undefeated (until the Orange Bowl) CU season. Therefore I hate them!
But they were dropped from the sked, not to be picked up until CU joined the Pac. Based on their recent successes, first under Meyer and continued under Whittingham, da Utes are developing an arrogant attitude again, not quite at the Fusker fan level (those Utah folks are almost too nice) but their teams are starting to disrespect the Buffs on the field and the basketball court with some regularity. A real plus with da Utes is no mindset change is required on things colored "RED."

The only downside to the PAC-12 move that I can think of, is that we'll never be anyone's primary rival. Never going to happen Even Utah has BYU and we'll never replace them as a team that the team that Ute fans loathe the most. I don't care if we win the next 50 Pac-12 championships, USC will always hate UCLA and Notre Dame more, ASU and U of A will always hate each more, same with UW and WSU, Cal and Stanford, etc. We added Nebraska back to the schedule and that's good. Unless we can keep that going as a non-con rivalry like USC-ND, we'll never have a true rivalry.

Utah is a rivalry game. It just isn't a heated rivalry yet. That will come as we play more meaningful games against them.

Sounds like we just need to go stomp on the Trojans logo in the middle of the Coliseum in 2018 before inciting a brawl right before halftime, and going on to win 35-29.

That could change things in a hurry.

Utah is a rivalry game. It just isn't a heated rivalry yet. That will come as we play more meaningful games against them.

How? I just don't see Utah as a rival in any way, shape, or form. Just because the schedule dictates that we play them on Thanksgiving weekend doesn't make them our rival. Maybe something could develop with them years down the road because they're in the same place as us in terms of in conference rivals. But calling Utah our rival now is an insult to actual rivalries.

How? I just don't see Utah as a rival in any way, shape, or form. Just because the schedule dictates that we play them on Thanksgiving weekend doesn't make them our rival. Maybe something could develop with them years down the road because they're in the same place as us in terms of in conference rivals. But calling Utah our rival now is an insult to actual rivalries.

Historical rival that CU plays every year on rivalry weekend. That's how.

When the game on 11/26/16 decides the South Champion..you will hate them and want to bury them.

Historical rival that CU plays every year on rivalry weekend. That's how.

We didn't play them for 50 years. And the only reason we play them on rivalry weekend now is because all the other teams are playing their actual rival. You mentioned that it's a rivalry but not a heated rivalry. That reminds me of Jack Nicholson's quote from A Few Good Men when Cruise asks him if the private was in grave danger and Nicholson replies, "Is there another kind?" A rivalry that isn't heated isn't a rivalry. It's just another game on the schedule.

When the game on 11/26/16 decides the South Champion..you will hate them and want to bury them.

Yes, but not because they're a rival. It'll be because I want the Buffs to win the division. A rival is someone you want to beat more than anyone else when there's nothing on the line other than bragging rights.

Back