What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

new rivalries

Yes, but not because they're a rival. It'll be because I want the Buffs to win the division. A rival is someone you want to beat more than anyone else when there's nothing on the line other than bragging rights.
Right. But since we are new to the Pac we have to let rivalries develop organically. That's why I pointed out what a big game it could be on 11/26. Whichever team gets knocked out of the title game will be looking for revenge in '17. If both teams are great again next year, then a rivalry probably develops.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but we've never been anyone's primary rival.

NU-OU was always bigger to NU than we were. When the Big 12 dictated a change in the NU-OU game, things were different temporarily, but not really, as feelings go. I know that we all bristled at the nub denial that there was any rivalry with us, but even if it was, it was never as big of a deal to them as OU.

I guess CSU has felt like CU is bigger than Wyo as of late, but for the vast majority of their history, their Border War was a much bigger game than their occasional game against us.

As we've noted ad nauseum since we've joined the Pac, even if CU and UU develop a history of close and meaningful games, BYU will always be a bigger rival to them.

There is no one else even on the horizon.

It just is what it is.

Guys, I hate to break it to you, but we've never been anyone's primary rival.

NU-OU was always bigger to NU than we were. When the Big 12 dictated a change in the NU-OU game, things were different temporarily, but not really, as feelings go. I know that we all bristled at the nub denial that there was any rivalry with us, but even if it was, it was never as big of a deal to them as OU.

I guess CSU has felt like CU is bigger than Wyo as of late, but for the vast majority of their history, their Border War was a much bigger game than their occasional game against us.

As we've noted ad nauseum since we've joined the Pac, even if CU and UU develop a history of close and meaningful games, BYU will always be a bigger rival to them.

There is no one else even on the horizon.

It just is what it is.

Ute fans would like to change that. They hate the Y, but many would prefer not playing in football & hoops... moving onward and upward by developing an interstate rivalry with Colorado.

The ignorance is astounding, especially when you get away from message boards and into more casual land. It's like this is some cute little Cinderella story. I understand it to some degree with kids who are 18, but so-called fans in their 30s and 40s should know better. It's not like we haven't met Pac teams (and beaten them) before we joined. It's going to make it all the sweeter to keep pummeling teams year in and year out. As I posted last night, we're about to be in our 29th bowl, which despite our last decade of woes - at a time when bowls become so prevalent that 2/3 of the conference were making them each year - still has us above most teams in the conference and right about even with Oregon and ASU. We're well ahead of Stanford and Cal in bowl appearances, among others.

I live in Oregon and I can definitely attest to this. Oregon has a ton of casual fans which is to be expected when their program has had such recent sustained success. Ducks are to Oregon what the Broncos are for Colorado.

I was at a bar though talking to this former Oregon offensive lineman just before the Michigan game. He said we would not only get blown out by Michigan but by Oregon the following week. I told him we would cover against Michigan (which we barely did but did nonetheless) and beat Oregon. He thought I waas crazy until I just asked him what he knew about the program. He finally admitted he knew next to nothing about us. He said CU, Oregon State & Washington State were the worst in the conference which shows how much he was basing his opinion on prior years. Hell even after beating Oregon, the Oregon State fans still thought they beat Colorado by double digits. It'll take a couple good seasons for casual fans to take notice on CU because they don't know the history of the program which is fine by me because it's winning me a lot of free beer. Die hard Duck, Beaver & even other Pac12 fans already know what this program used to be and where it could be in the future.

We already knocked Utah out of one P12C, right?
Yep, and that's why they're starting to hate us. Do it again this year, especially if they pull off a win against UW, and they'll really be pissed.

Flip that around though: how much would you hate those ****ing douchebags with their whiney coach and stupid hand signs if they beat us and knock us out of the championship game?

If that were to happen, the first game I circle for next year is the game against them.

And I'm betting a lot of you would be right there with me, even you guys who say you're "meh" about then now.

If we start playing big, meaningful games against them every year (and lose some of them), trust me, the hate will flow. . .

All games are a rivalry to me because i hate everyone. **** Alabama, USC, UCLA, UTAH, LSU, OLE MISS, ARKANSAS, STANFORD. **** everyone if it's not CU.

Gonna kinda piggy back Nik here and say Utah. That's why I don't want them to lose anymore this year till we play. Don't worry Nik, I won't have wood lol.

CU has absolutely no natural rival in the PAC 12, and that's OK. "Rival" is either a) a real genetic thing aka "Sal is Dead Go Big Red", or b) a bull**** contrived thing. I just want to be 10-2 or better and in the national conversation now and then. Who gives a crap about the PAC 12?

All we have to do is win, boys. There will be plenty of hate out there to go around. I look forward to seeing from which direction(s) it will come.

If we play Utah for a right to get into the PAC12 Championship the last week it will not be hard to completely **** on the entire state of Utah. I'd think about wearing a tie and going door to door asking people if they had a minute to talk about #TheRise.

Bit unrelated, but Stanford/Notre Dame isn't quite the old rivalry many think. Stanford's win this year reduced Notre Dame's win in the series to 19-12. They only started playing every year in 1988 and had a hiatus in '95 and 96. Before '88, they had met a grand total of 4 times (1925, 1942, 1963 and 1964).

You people are funny.

Nebraska never viewed us as their rival because they beat us 2/3 of the time. They viewed OU as their rival because OU beat them when it mattered. WE viewed NU as our rival because they keep beating us.

So, we're going to have to go 0-10 to someone and then it'll be a rival like NU was.

You people are funny.

Nebraska never viewed us as their rival because they beat us 2/3 of the time. They viewed OU as their rival because OU beat them when it mattered. WE viewed NU as our rival because they keep beating us.

So, we're going to have to go 0-10 to someone and then it'll be a rival like NU was.
Ok, no rivalries then. I'm good with that.

Me too, the Utah "rivalry" is ridiculously contrived. The PAC decided we would start hating each other and play for a cup, plate or shoe. These things have to happen on their own and if not, so be it.

Contrived? Hardly.

From 1903 until 1962, Utah and Colorado played each other nearly every year. By 1962, they had played 57 games.[1] At that time, it was the second-most played rivalry for both teams (Utah had played Utah State 62 times;[2] Colorado had played Colorado State 61 times[3]). After the 1962 meeting, however, Colorado and Utah stopped playing each other in football.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_in_the_Rockies

Contrived? Hardly.

From 1903 until 1962, Utah and Colorado played each other nearly every year. By 1962, they had played 57 games.[1] At that time, it was the second-most played rivalry for both teams (Utah had played Utah State 62 times;[2] Colorado had played Colorado State 61 times[3]). After the 1962 meeting, however, Colorado and Utah stopped playing each other in football.

Yes, but even I wasn't born yet. You have to have some living people to have a rivalry.

Contrived? Hardly.

Good call though a few generations removed. This match-up has all the makings of a good, bloody, hated rivalry especially if BYU keeps stumbling alround

The way true two sided rivalries develop is through playing several big important games, and not having one team dominate. I don't want a true two sided rivalry against Utah.

You develop hatred for a team by losing important games against that team.

I hope Utah hates us with the fury of a thousand suns, and I hope Utah means nothing to us.

Last edited:
Back