What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Stadium "Going To Happen" For csu

I think the csu AD is one of those guys, like Tharp, who believes that, in order to achieve a goal, you go public with it in order to get people on board. Bohn, on the other hand, I believe, has goals but prefers to work on them behind the scenes with the bigger movers and shakers.

CSU fans are now claiming College Game day in Fort Collins for the CU/CSU game in 2014:lol:

This would actually be awesome. It may be fantastically delusional but . . . pass another Brownie, dude. If we are good enough to warrant the Game Day crew, regardless of whether it is in Ft. Fun or Boulder, it would be great!

Hey, CSquared. I'm HH over on the other board. You really think I'm just dying for this thing to fail, or were you just taking pot shots at an opposing fan on the other board?

Given some of your comments yesterday, yes, it appeared to me that you wanted CSU to fail at its attempt at an on-campus stadium. You seem to have clarified some of those comments today.

Given some of your comments yesterday, yes, it appeared to me that you wanted CSU to fail at its attempt at an on-campus stadium. You seem to have clarified some of those comments today.

I think this whole thing is very premature and has a good likelihood of blowing up in CSU's face. Time will tell, but when things are announced and unfunded, they can go sideways quickly.

I also think there's a good chance CSU builds this and ends up defaulting on it if a bunch of debt is used because they want to accelerate the timeline. If that happens, CO taxpayers will be on the hook.

I think this whole thing is very premature and has a good likelihood of blowing up in CSU's face. Time will tell, but when things are announced and unfunded, they can go sideways quickly.

I also think there's a good chance CSU builds this and ends up defaulting on it if a bunch of debt is used because they want to accelerate the timeline. If that happens, CO taxpayers will be on the hook.
:nod: this has the potential to make CSU even more of a laughing stock than it already is.

If this is thing is going to be privately funded as Graham claims can be done, I don't believe CO taxpayers will have much to worry about. Time will tell.

My understanding is they already have $40MM committed

Someone with solid connections to the athletic department is claiming that it is even more (a lot more) than $40MM committed. Hard to tell what is truth and blatent speculation, but Graham is talking like a man with alot of money backing him up. I am guessing that we will know more details in the spring with regards to financing.

I think the csu AD is one of those guys, like Tharp, who believes that, in order to achieve a goal, you go public with it in order to get people on board. Bohn, on the other hand, I believe, has goals but prefers to work on them behind the scenes with the bigger movers and shakers.

I think Bohn is afraid to ever have any concrete goals out in public because he does not want to be held accountable.

Most people assume Bohn is like other AD's. You know the ones who want to field championship teams. Bohn is a manager. He is a good one. But balancing a budget, avoiding problems and playing politics so he stays in the PTB's good graces are the priorities. If CU wins some along the way, great, if not, that is OK too with MB.

MB does a lot of things well, but the PTB got what they wanted when they hired him. Somebody who would take orders, balance the budget, do PR, and keep the AD from having bad press. Oh, and to see if maybe a few games could be won every now and again to keep the donors happy. MB excels in that role. Prove me wrong MB.

I think Embo was a good hire, not the first choice I had, but a good one. I am not sure MB wanted to go that route, but his hand may have been forced, just a hunch. Embo can do it here. He's got the skills and more importantly, the attitude. Boyle is a good hire too IMO. Given time, I think both major revenue sports will do well. But that will be mostly because of the coaches IMO.

Bohn is a manager. He is a good one. But balancing a budget, avoiding problems and playing politics so he stays in the PTB's good graces are the priorities. If CU wins some along the way, great, if not, that is OK too with MB.

While I think you're assessment is accurate, I don't think that precludes him from becoming a more performance based AD. He has done what he was hired to do, which was clean up a collossal mess. Now that he's done that, he can concentrate on other issues. Let's give him the opportunity to take the next step before we crucify him.

Absolutely not, I have already invested in pitchforks and torches, what do you expect me to with them?:lol:

Seriously, I hope BB and MB have clued in to the fact that most alums, donors and society at large look to a University's athletic department as their point of contact. Having one that is in a state of disrepair, well you might as well show up to a job interview in cut offs and a tshirt. You aren't going to get much notice. Keeping D II showed their hand IMO. They don't care about winning. The only reason they do now is that htey have gotten a ton of heat. Take the heat away and they revert back to the status quo. JMO.

Absolutely not, I have already invested in pitchforks and torches, what do you expect me to with them?:lol:

Seriously, I hope BB and MB have clued in to the fact that most alums, donors and society at large look to a University's athletic department as their point of contact. Having one that is in a state of disrepair, well you might as well show up to a job interview in cut offs and a tshirt. You aren't going to get much notice. Keeping D II showed their hand IMO. They don't care about winning. The only reason they do now is that htey have gotten a ton of heat. Take the heat away and they revert back to the status quo. JMO.

I'm really not sure it's a good idea to judge Bohn's priorities by the decision to keep DII for another year, since Bohn wanted to fire him then, but was overruled by BB (and DiStefano as well, to the extent he had influence..)

If this is thing is going to be privately funded as Graham claims can be done, I don't believe CO taxpayers will have much to worry about. Time will tell.

You better believe it won't take tax payer funds, because if CSU is able to divert some of its portion of tax payer revenue into the stadium than the state will just look at it as another excuse to cut funding even further if money is not being used for educational purposes.

As for the article, I am not seeing anything different than a month ago. If CSU keeps losing next year, and funding isn't in place you can kiss this dream bye bye.

I'm really not sure it's a good idea to judge Bohn's priorities by the decision to keep DII for another year, since Bohn wanted to fire him then, but was overruled by BB (and DiStefano as well, to the extent he had influence..)
"...keeping D II showed their hand..."

Maybe, but he went along with it. I like to think if I were in MB's postion and forced to trot out the FB punchbowl in public after having been required to leave the deuce floating in the bowl, that I would have resigned. Maybe I wouldn't have, six figure jobs are not easy to come by, but either way, MB has played the good soldier and defended the decision, and even gone so far as to sit by while BB lays it all on him in the DP. MB gets no pass from me. If BB, and Dr. Phil, forced it on him, he's a weak hand that will only go as far as Dr.Phil and BB allow him, so we go back to showing their hand, which in my view is to look as if they want the athletic department to be succesful, when in reality, they just want to have the budget balanced and no negative press or other problems. Maybe that is unfair, and if so, well...I am an alum and buy the tickets and gear, I guess I feel I am entitled to my opinion.

If they actually pay with private funds, you are right. If they get a down payment and then finance the rest, CO taxpayers have quite a bit to worry about.

Maybe, but he went along with it. I like to think if I were in MB's postion and forced to trot out the FB punchbowl in public after having been required to leave the deuce floating in the bowl, that I would have resigned. Maybe I wouldn't have, six figure jobs are not easy to come by, but either way, MB has played the good soldier and defended the decision, and even gone so far as to sit by while BB lays it all on him in the DP. MB gets no pass from me. If BB, and Dr. Phil, forced it on him, he's a weak hand that will only go as far as Dr.Phil and BB allow him, so we go back to showing their hand, which in my view is to look as if they want the athletic department to be succesful, when in reality, they just want to have the budget balanced and no negative press or other problems. Maybe that is unfair, and if so, well...I am an alum and buy the tickets and gear, I guess I feel I am entitled to my opinion.

So anybody who doesn't quit their job when they disagree with a decision their boss makes should be treated like they agree with the boss? The fact that Bohn didn't quit means he doesn't care about winning?

I'd be fascinated to see somebody actually live their life by the standard you're trying to impose on Bohn here...

I said I would like to think that if I were in his place I would have quit, immediately followed with my musing that maybe I wouldn't have, but go ahead and carry those thoughts out to their unwarranted hyperbolic conclusion if you like....

The bottom line is keeping D II was a catastrophic decision. It wasn't just any decision by his boss. It was a major policy decision that will have lasting effects on the dept. MB is supposedly hired to run, not just a run of the mill decision of whether to serve Pepsi or Coke products at the concession stand. People do resign over major policy decisions. If you want to give MB a pass because he was ordered to do it, you can.

Just a thought, but if you guys wanna go point-counterpoint on Bohn can you start another thread... like one with "Bohn" in the title so that I don't have wade through this valuable discussion to entertain myself with the delusions of ramdom in a thread supposedly devoted to CSU's new stadium?

That is not what actually happened. Bohn did want to fire Hawkins and the firing was pretty much in the Bag. Benson and DiStefano talked and said they were leaning towards giving DH another year (yes they were idiots) but the decision was Bohn's. Mike Bohn decided to play it safe and keep Hawkins. To try to make a compelling argument with his bosses that DH had to go was too risky for MB. Now a lot of middle managers in his position would of done the same thing but that is what keeps MB from being a dynamic leader because he is not going to take risks and he is not going to go against the grain. IMO, he put the security of his job ahead of what is best for the program. That is the difference between being mediocre and being great...to be great you have to take some risks and fail sometimes.

I think that is what you get with Bohn.

Just a thought, but if you guys wanna go point-counterpoint on Bohn can you start another thread... like one with "Bohn" in the title so that I don't have wade through this valuable discussion to entertain myself with the delusions of ramdom in a thread supposedly devoted to CSU's new stadium?

if you are just looking for laughs, you can just head over to ramnation.

Almost 60 posts for a CSU stadium? Surely my suggestion of CU joining the MWC before the Pac-10 move was announced doesn't seem so silly doesn't it?

Almost 60 posts for a CSU stadium? Surely my suggestion of CU joining the MWC before the Pac-10 move was announced doesn't seem so silly doesn't it?

No, somewhere around 5 posts about a new CSU stadium, and 55 posts about why Mike Bohn wants CU to lose....

Back