What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Stadium "Going To Happen" For csu

I really hope CSU puts the stadium in that exact place and creates an entire complex. With the dorm locations, students could litteraly shake off a hangover on Saturday morning at 11:55 and walk into the stadium for a 12:00 p.m. kickoff. Could make for a really great atomosphere. Open the adjacent fields and parking lots for tailgating, similar to what they do at WYO,

Great atmosphere with 10,000 people?

CSU fans have long suffered as the little brother to their hated rivals. As the losses have piled up, so has their envy. They have finally reached a boiling point. They are done being denigrated or ignored. They're going all in and don't care what it costs them. From the day that the ground is broken on the new stadium, there will be no way that their rivals will be able to ignore them.

That's right, Wyoming and Air Force, CSU is gunning for you.

Biggest question in my mind is where on campus would this thing go? Regardless, building an on-campus stadium just gets them even with CU at best. Folsom rocks. Now if we're talking about other facilities...

I see three potential on campus locations with the one in the very middle being the best.

rammieland.jpg

Last edited:
Not many options. Doing an East/west stadium would be dumb. Plus they'll have to add a ton of parking space

Looks to me like there's plenty of parking there for their fan base.... :smile2: But yeah, an east west configuration would be dumb.

The site on the far right of Miami's map isn't going to happen. That's the Oval, and not only is it right in the middle of their old "historic" part of campus, it's not near big enough for a stadium. I'm not sure about the middle site, but I think you'd be putting the stadium right up next to the "academic" part of campus, and pretty much fill the main spot they have left to add new classroom buildings. The Mooby site is the best, but only if they can fit the stadium in on a north/south orientation.

EDIT: Looking at a campus map, that middle location includes the Lagoon, as well as a ditch running through the middle of it. Not sure what kind of water issues there might be looking at building on that site. It's also directly to the west of the student center, and street access to that part of campus isn't great. The Mooby site definitely looks like their best bet... :huh:

I disagree - I think the middle choice would be ideal. There's nothing there now, and they could keep the practice fields and intramural fields the same. Parking is not an issue. They could do the same thing we do and open up campus lots for tailgaters. Plus, they could take out part of that road that is just to the west of the stadium in that rendering. No need for that road anymore.

Not many options. Doing an East/west stadium would be dumb. Plus they'll have to add a ton of parking space

I disagree. Put the opposing team on the north side so they are in the sun all damn day. :lol:

Looks to me like there's plenty of parking there for their fan base.... :smile2: But yeah, an east west configuration would be dumb.

The site on the far right of Miami's map isn't going to happen. That's the Oval, and not only is it right in the middle of their old "historic" part of campus, it's not near big enough for a stadium. I'm not sure about the middle site, but I think you'd be putting the stadium right up next to the "academic" part of campus, and pretty much fill the main spot they have left to add new classroom buildings. The Mooby site is the best, but only if they can fit the stadium in on a north/south orientation.

EDIT: Looking at a campus map, that middle location includes the Lagoon, as well as a ditch running through the middle of it. Not sure what kind of water issues there might be looking at building on that site. It's also directly to the west of the student center, and street access to that part of campus isn't great. The Mooby site definitely looks like their best bet... :huh:

The lagoon is not a big deal and the ditch could be culverted under the project. Also, they could build classrooms under the bleachers sort of like we have/had at CU. That would make more aesthetic looking, more a part of campus. With a raised stadium they'd have more rooms for classrooms where Folsom is carved into the hill which left less room for that.

I disagree - I think the middle choice would be ideal. There's nothing there now, and they could keep the practice fields and intramural fields the same. Parking is not an issue. They could do the same thing we do and open up campus lots for tailgaters. Plus, they could take out part of that road that is just to the west of the stadium in that rendering. No need for that road anymore.

I am a photoshop god. My skillz are madd!!! I am CMYKilla!!!

Their parking situation is a little different than ours tho. All dorms have their own parking lots used up by students so they can't really boot people out of those spots... and that takes up a lot of the parking space on campus

Jack Graham is onto something here, The attendance will sky rocket with students close to the Stadium. It will also help recruiting. Mike Bohn need to come up with something fast. They should

1. Renovate Coors Event, put in new seatings, new hard court and etc, Coors Events looks like a highschool gym.

2. New Indoor training center for football and track, also renovation and expansion of Folsom Field.

Last edited:
Jack Graham is onto something here, The attendance will sky rocket with students close to the Stadium. It will also help recruiting. Mike Bohn need to come up with something fast. They should

1. Renovate Coors Event, put in new seatings, new hard court and etc, Coors Events looks like a highschool gym.

2. New Indoor training center for football and track, also renovation and expansion of Folsom Field.

Yeah it'll sky rocket from 9000 to 11000!

SIAP but csewe's PUBLIC pronouncement could not come at a better time for us. I love csewe! They have made this a competition that will light a fire under our ass. Talk about irony, csewe's hires may just very well be the catalyst that launches us. Frankly, I love it!

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I don't have the direct source here.

But even a dumbass Ram probably isn't going to strut around touting this with his every breath if he doesn't have SOMETHING already going

You underestimate the power of the internet. Facts need not apply here. If Allbuffs forums themselves aren't example enough, try this:
ahem

I have been posting here for a few years. I have lots of posts. I must be important. Now I'm making my play. I'm so excited that I can't contain this info, even though I've been sworn to secrecy. I have sources within the Athletic Department. I can't divulge who they are, but I find myself in a position to communicate with them on a fairly regular basis. My sources are so excited. We have raised eleventy-billion dollars in the last 3 weeks. We are on the verge of beginning a project which will put CU at the forefront of the sports world. We are about to revolutionize college football. We already filed the patent. 2 Words: Hover stadium. We will build a 100,000 person stadium that hovers. We'll have it fly all around Colorado and pick up CU fans. They won't even have to drive to campus anymore.

Just a few details that we need to iron out, namely wind. But can you imagine having the stadium itself celebrate when CU scores?!?! It'll shake back and forth?! BAD ASS! Join the BuffClub, do your part to literally elevate CU above all other colleges.

You underestimate the power of the internet. Facts need not apply here. If Allbuffs forums themselves aren't example enough, try this:
ahem

I have been posting here for a few years. I have lots of posts. I must be important. Now I'm making my play. I'm so excited that I can't contain this info, even though I've been sworn to secrecy. I have sources within the Athletic Department. I can't divulge who they are, but I find myself in a position to communicate with them on a fairly regular basis. My sources are so excited. We have raised eleventy-billion dollars in the last 3 weeks. We are on the verge of beginning a project which will put CU at the forefront of the sports world. We are about to revolutionize college football. We already filed the patent. 2 Words: Hover stadium. We will build a 100,000 person stadium that hovers. We'll have it fly all around Colorado and pick up CU fans. They won't even have to drive to campus anymore.

Just a few details that we need to iron out, namely wind. But can you imagine having the stadium itself celebrate when CU scores?!?! It'll shake back and forth?! BAD ASS! Join the BuffClub, do your part to literally elevate CU above all other colleges.

I'm not talking a bout the dooshes on the internet, im talking about their AD

ahem

I'm not supposed to mention this, but the junta has been working hard on a hover Sackygate to go along with this project.....

I think until they have the money, and I don't believe they have the money, this is all a pipe dream no matter what they say. The idea that they will have a stadium ready to go in time for 2014 is completely out of reality. They don't even have a location picked much less plans drawn, environmental impact statements started much less completed, etc.

I also think that the idea of building a +/- 40,000 seat stadium for CSU football is ridiculous. I don't think a new, on campus stadium is a bad idea. What they should do though is build a state of the art, 20,000 seat stadium and go FCS, a level where they can consistently compete on the field and financially. The attempts to complete at the FBS level with new coaches, stadiums, etc. are only delaying the inevitable.

They averaged under 22k a home game this year and that figure is declining each year. Even if a new stadium generated an additional 5k per game they would still be at the bottom end of FBS attendance and revenues. The big conferences aren't lining up to add a school that would be a revenue drag on them. As the revenue differences continue to grow CSU will fall further behind, even if they improve their attendance and donations.

Stop trying to be big time, instead make the best of who they are and become a significant player at the FCS level and spend less money doing it.

Why is it that you know so much about their campus? It's almost as if you were a student there once...

I think until they have the money, and I don't believe they have the money, this is all a pipe dream no matter what they say. The idea that they will have a stadium ready to go in time for 2014 is completely out of reality. They don't even have a location picked much less plans drawn, environmental impact statements started much less completed, etc.

I also think that the idea of building a +/- 40,000 seat stadium for CSU football is ridiculous. I don't think a new, on campus stadium is a bad idea. What they should do though is build a state of the art, 20,000 seat stadium and go FCS, a level where they can consistently compete on the field and financially. The attempts to complete at the FBS level with new coaches, stadiums, etc. are only delaying the inevitable.

They averaged under 22k a home game this year and that figure is declining each year. Even if a new stadium generated an additional 5k per game they would still be at the bottom end of FBS attendance and revenues. The big conferences aren't lining up to add a school that would be a revenue drag on them. As the revenue differences continue to grow CSU will fall further behind, even if they improve their attendance and donations.

Stop trying to be big time, instead make the best of who they are and become a significant player at the FCS level and spend less money doing it.

With a stadium located right in the middle of the student body and the city instead of a few miles away at the end of a cow path, I think it's realistic for them to expect it to increase attendance by 10k. With enrollment between 25-30k, if they can't get 10k of the student body to games on campus they might as well give up. That would be a few thousand more than they've been getting lately. And locals that are too lazy or disinterested to drive all the way out to Hughes will come to games in a new facility on campus just to check it out. Of course, that still leaves them somewhere in the 30ks, which isn't exactly great.

The trick for them is going to be keeping those people interested. If they aren't winning big against the remnants of the MWAC, how long will their fans keep showing up? They sure as hell lost interest after Lubejob quit winning....

With a stadium located right in the middle of the student body and the city instead of a few miles away at the end of a cow path, I think it's realistic for them to expect it to increase attendance by 10k. With enrollment between 25-30k, if they can't get 10k of the student body to games on campus they might as well give up. That would be a few thousand more than they've been getting lately. And locals that are too lazy or disinterested to drive all the way out to Hughes will come to games in a new facility on campus just to check it out. Of course, that still leaves them somewhere in the 30ks, which isn't exactly great.

The trick for them is going to be keeping those people interested. If they aren't winning big against the remnants of the MWAC, how long will their fans keep showing up? They sure as hell lost interest after Lubejob quit winning....

Even if as you say they get to 30k they won't be competitive. Much of the increase you are calling for would come from student attendance. These are not adding a bunch of high priced season tickets. Student tickets are either low or no cost to the students, not a revenue gainer. Even non-student attendance gains have to be taken in the context that the average seat for a CSU game sells for less than 1/2 the average ticket in Boulder and well below almost all major schools. We are still talking about being way behind in terms of revenue generation.

In the long term, despite all their protestations and dreams, the support is simply not there to make them a player against the major conference schools. They can delay it but eventually the financial realities will dictate a re-evaluation of where they are and a step down to a level where they can compete.

Even if as you say they get to 30k they won't be competitive. Much of the increase you are calling for would come from student attendance. These are not adding a bunch of high priced season tickets. Student tickets are either low or no cost to the students, not a revenue gainer. Even non-student attendance gains have to be taken in the context that the average seat for a CSU game sells for less than 1/2 the average ticket in Boulder and well below almost all major schools. We are still talking about being way behind in terms of revenue generation.

In the long term, despite all their protestations and dreams, the support is simply not there to make them a player against the major conference schools. They can delay it but eventually the financial realities will dictate a re-evaluation of where they are and a step down to a level where they can compete.

I agree with all of this. I was just pointing out that your 5,000 attendance increase number was probably low. But the idea that they can more than double their attendance simply with a stadium is probably unrealistic too. That's a lot of people that are suddenly going to be interested in a program that weren't attending now just because of the stadium. It's more people than they could get in Lubejob's glory days. A lot more. Even if those fans did emerge for the new stadium, it's already pretty obvious their commitment is virtually non-existent.

If McElwain wins and they get a new stadium, then they have the chance to sustain attendance. However, it is going to have to be local attendance. They're too far from Denver to pull much. I think a 40k stadium would be a reasonable size, and they have the chance to get close to filling IF they win NOW with McElwain. If McElwain flops, then they're ****ed cause they won't sustain attendance and they won't get a B12 invite.

If McElwain wins and they get a new stadium, then they have the chance to sustain attendance. However, it is going to have to be local attendance. They're too far from Denver to pull much. I think a 40k stadium would be a reasonable size, and they have the chance to get close to filling IF they win NOW with McElwain. If McElwain flops, then they're ****ed cause they won't sustain attendance and they won't get a B12 invite.

If McElwain doesn't win they continue on the same slow downward slide that they have been in since the downside of the Sonny era, this is the most likely considering the situation they are in. If McElwain does win CSU still loses because they are at the limit of what they can pay him and even with a new stadium and increased attendance CSU would not have any hope of keeping him. He is not a guy with a deep desire to stay with CSU through thick and thin. The job is a stepping stone. Fail and he goes back to being a top assistant someplace, win and he moves on to a bigger, higher profile program. Either way CSU doesn't get long-term success.

Mtn - you are wrong. If McElwain wins, then they are banking on a B12 invite. Graham, their new AD, happens to be very close friends with Neinas, the B12's new commish.

You are being extremely myopic in your view of what is happening.

Mtn - you are wrong. If McElwain wins, then they are banking on a B12 invite. Graham, their new AD, happens to be very close friends with Neinas, the B12's new commish.

You are being extremely myopic in your view of what is happening.

They might be banking on that, but that doesn't mean they'll get it.

Even at 40k attendance, they're still tens of thousands behind the Big XII average

Neinas isn't a young man. By the time McElwain builds a program that the Big XII would even consider (barring the Big XII losing premiere programs to the point it essentially becomes the MWC), Neinas may very well be gone.

The Big XII would be well aware that McElwain, if he builds a winner, is unlikely to be a CSU lifer. And they would be well aware what happened to CSU the last time they lost a coach that managed to win there.

They might be able to get the stadium. And McElwain might be able to build a winner. And they might be able to leverage that into a Big XII invite. But I wouldn't say the odds are in their favor...

Yes - but what did CU sell to the Pac to get in? TV sets. CSU is going to say 'hey, we're showing a commitment to football, we're starting to win, we have new facilities, and we will give you back the Denver TV market'

All of it is predicated on winning now.

We will see. I think they've waited too long and it is going to be a tough sell. If i were the B12 I would take AFA as it stands now - get the Denver market and a national market.... but things can change in the CFB world. Luckily, while McElwain was a big hire, I don't think he is really a GOOD hire.

Yes - but what did CU sell to the Pac to get in? TV sets. CSU is going to say 'hey, we're showing a commitment to football, we're starting to win, we have new facilities, and we will give you back the Denver TV market'

All of it is predicated on winning now.

We will see. I think they've waited too long and it is going to be a tough sell. If i were the B12 I would take AFA as it stands now - get the Denver market and a national market.... but things can change in the CFB world. Luckily, while McElwain was a big hire, I don't think he is really a GOOD hire.

TV sets would have to be a big part of their pitch, but there are problems there, too. First, Denver is a big market, but a market big enough to sell to two different conferences? That's a tougher sell. And the Big XII has already lost Denver once. They'll have a pretty good idea how important the market is to their TV package in a year or two. If their exposure has been hurt by losing CU, that's a big plus for CSU. But if they realize they really don't miss Colorado that much, not so good for CSU.

Also, CSU would need to demonstrate they can draw TV sets in the Denver market - enough to make it worthwhile for the Big XII. The Mountain doesn't help them there - it's hard to draw ratings when most of your games are played on a network not that many people get. If they don't find some way to demonstrate that they're a TV draw beyond putting 40k butts in the seats at the stadium, their value is limited. CU has been drawing ABC games for years. They've been featured in the Big XII cable package even when they suck. They've demonstrated some TV appeal. CSU's got some work to do to get to that point.

Like I said, it's not impossible. But even if Graham can convince enough people to put up enough money to finance his "vision", I still think it's pretty damn unlikely it works out the way they're hoping...

TV sets would have to be a big part of their pitch, but there are problems there, too. First, Denver is a big market, but a market big enough to sell to two different conferences? That's a tougher sell. And the Big XII has already lost Denver once. They'll have a pretty good idea how important the market is to their TV package in a year or two. If their exposure has been hurt by losing CU, that's a big plus for CSU. But if they realize they really don't miss Colorado that much, not so good for CSU.

Also, CSU would need to demonstrate they can draw TV sets in the Denver market - enough to make it worthwhile for the Big XII. The Mountain doesn't help them there - it's hard to draw ratings when most of your games are played on a network not that many people get. If they don't find some way to demonstrate that they're a TV draw beyond putting 40k butts in the seats at the stadium, their value is limited. CU has been drawing ABC games for years. They've been featured in the Big XII cable package even when they suck. They've demonstrated some TV appeal. CSU's got some work to do to get to that point.

Like I said, it's not impossible. But even if Graham can convince enough people to put up enough money to finance his "vision", I still think it's pretty damn unlikely it works out the way they're hoping...

Good points all around, and I agree. I think they will get their stadium by 2016 - but it is murky whether or not they get an invite to a legit conference. They have to raise their profile. Will be fun to watch (hopefully fun to watch them fail)

Back