What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New to the Board

I`m seriously thinking of the Wyoming game on 9/19, or Kansas on 10/17.

kansas will be a very good game. however, if you want to see folsom at its best, its gotta be mizzou on halloween and homecoming. most agree it will be a nightgame and it will be rockinnnnnnnng. god i cant wait.

I`m seriously thinking of the Wyoming game on 9/19, or Kansas on 10/17.

Pick Kansas. The Buffs break a three-season skid, end KU's 2009 unbeaten run at 5-0 and take the first big step toward taking the Big XII North.

Besides, it's a month into Fall in the Rockies: you'll be able to take in an incredible autumn day in Boulder, maybe a side trip into the mountains...

Pick Kansas. The Buffs break a three-season skid, end KU's 2009 unbeaten run at 5-0 and take the first big step toward taking the Big XII North.

Besides, it's a month into Fall in the Rockies: you'll be able to take in an incredible autumn day in Boulder, maybe a side trip into the mountains...

The last week of Sept thru the first 3 weeks of Oct is the best time to be in Colorado. Blue skies. Not much wind. The aspen up in the high country in their golden splender. Temperatures in the 70's. CoEds in full bloom. The Buffs are starting conference play and optimism abounds. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Exactly when is a bad time to be in Boulder?

Fall has perfect temps, dry calm days, and all of the surrounding places to visit in the mountains don't have the summer crowds. When the trees are changing on campus with the flagstone buildings it is truly special. For football the weather is always as close to perfect as you will find in the country, man Folsom is an unforgettable place.

Winter is amazing, snow on the flatirons is something that cannot be captured in a photo. The Pearl Street Mall comes to life for the Christmas season. Skiing, snowshoeing, and just heading up to the mountains is unmatched anywhere else in the country. What most people not from Colorado don't realize is that after they see the national news reports about the snowstorms here the weather always warms up and gets sunny within a couple of days. The streets are clear and people are back to running around in a jacket or sweater, enough winter to enjoy it, not enough to get tired of it.

Spring brings long sunny days, green everywhere, and a chance to enjoy everything Colorado is all about. Spring brings T-shirt weather to Boulder and the front range while the skiing is still great in the mountains.

Summer in Boulder is what summer should be. Lots of sun, events happening every weekend, more different recreational options than one person could ever fit in. Hot days, cool enough nights for easy sleeping, and low enough humidity that you are always comfortable. There is a reason that Colorado is one of the most popular summer tourist destinations in the country, summer in Boulder answers the question why?

I would vote for the Kansas game myself. The season will be well underway, momentum will be rolling, the students will be getting into the season. Kansas will come in hoping to get a win and leave dissapointed.

Worst time in Boulder?
1) When the zepher winds howl down from the mountains at >60 mph and reek havoc on contact lense wearers. That's pretty rare.

2) The deep freeze when temperatures plummet below zero.
In '89, all of Feb was below freezing and a couple weeks were below zero. But that was a once every 25 year deal. Mostly, the deep freeze lasts fewer than a couple days.

3) When the hills are on fire.

4) When the wind blows the smell of Greeley's stock yards into town.

5) Final Exams. It's harsh when academic evauations disrupt an otherwise perfectly fine outdoor lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst time in Boulder?
1) When the zepher winds howl down from the mountains at >60 mph and reek havoc on contact lense wearers. That's pretty rare.

2) The deep freeze when temperatures plummet below zero.
In '89, all of Feb was below freezing and a couple weeks were below zero. But that was a once every 25 year deal. Mostly, the deep freeze lasts fewer than a couple days.

3) Final Exams. It's harsh when academic evauations disrupt an otherwise perfectly fine outdoor lifestyle.

man, i miss boulder.

there was a huge snowstorm in about 85 or so and my stoooopid hopped-up rail rocket of a car couldn't do anything but sit and spin. i needed to move it from an hourly parking spot to a regular spot and a cop pushed me the whole way across campus and then to my apartment complex. that was freaking awesome. it was riding a large sled except with less control.

man, i miss boulder.

there was a huge snowstorm in about 85 or so and my stoooopid hopped-up rail rocket of a car couldn't do anything but sit and spin. i needed to move it from an hourly parking spot to a regular spot and a cop pushed me the whole way across campus and then to my apartment complex. that was freaking awesome. it was riding a large sled except with less control.

I miss skitching around town after a huge dump. Cahins on the Bronco, a ski rope and an old pair of rock skis. So much fun you'll crap yourself.

The absolute worst day in Boulder is the one when your parents and grand parents left, the graduation parties have wound down, the lease is up on the apartment, the toilet needs to be cleaned to get the security deposit back, there are boxes to pack, and the real world beckons, along with student loan payments. The day never-never land is replaced by some mundane career in some far away city is a bummer.:sad1:

Last edited by a moderator:
In '89, all of Feb was below freezing and a couple weeks were below zero.

I remember that. I was living in a very drafty fraternity house. I had a toaster oven in my room that I used as a space heater. Man that was cold. Brutal.

Wow, I didn`t realize the weather stayed nice, so far into the season there.

When does the weather get really cold, and how many games a year on average are played in the snow?

When does the weather get really cold, and how many games a year on average are played in the snow?

It's a bit of a myth that Colorado gets cold.
Sure, the ski areas open up with snow guns as early as Halloween, but that's above 8000 feet.

Truth is that the front range is mostly free of snow most of the winter. Any snow typically melts the day after.

You'd get a snow game maybe once every two or three years in Boulder.
There have been some damn cold games, but they are few and far between.

CU is the tropics compared to the rest of the B12 North and the entire Big 10 thanks to dry, dry and thin air combined with 300+ days of sunshine.

Even December is more of a fall month than winter. Jan-March is when the snow typically comes.

It never really gets really brutally cold for any extended period of time. Really. Like it's been said above, you get some snow, and then it melts. Then you get some more snow, and it melts. There is usually about a week a year that it stays really cold through the entire week.

As far as average home games per year in the snow... Somewhere between 0 - 1, I guess.

It never really gets really brutally cold for any extended period of time. Really. Like it's been said above, you get some snow, and then it melts. Then you get some more snow, and it melts. There is usually about a week a year that it stays really cold through the entire week.

As far as average home games per year in the snow... Somewhere between 0 - 1, I guess.

I know that sounds like a sales pitch, but I grew up 20 miles south of Boulder... what Daaah says is true. Not many people believe me when I tell them that I would play golf on New Years Eve in Arvada more often than not.:thumbsup:

My parents have been season ticket holders since the 70s and I only remember 2-3 games in snow of the 10 or so years that I was able to attend. BTW, I have gone to 3 CU games in Linclon... 2 of them were BAC..."Bit'n Ass Cold"

Last edited:
This past year, except for a week in December, we had crazy warm 70 degree temps in January, and almost no snow until March.

It does get cold in Boulder, especially during the night. As stated, during the day with the sun shining most of the winter is actually pleasant. A couple years ago we had one of those 25-year difficult winters (snow didn't melt off our lawns for like 90 straight days). But this past winter was the complete other way with more days in the 60s than we had days with snowstorms. In general, a winter day on the front range is going to be very sunny and feel about 15-20 degrees warmer than the actual temp. When in the sun, you'll be able to not wear a coat in January/February during the middle of the day. You can look forward to a seasonal snowstorm or 2 in late October through the end of November (snow won't stick). December you've got a 50/50 chance of a somewhat white Christmas. January thru March you'll get a half dozen good storms and 90% of the time the snow will melt off the streets and sidewalks the next day without plowing/shoveling. As far as shoveling goes, the snow is generally so powdery that you can handle the aftermath of most snowstorms with a broom instead of a shovel.

I scanned the previous 83 posts and didn't see a mention to our Nobel laureates. I might have missed it. Anyway here it goes:

The 1989 recipient of the Nobel prize in Chemistry is Tom Cech, who still teaches chemistry at CU Boulder.

In this decade, CU physics professors have received the Nobel prize twice: in 2001 and 2005.

I have worked (and occasionally still do) with scientists from many different Universities as well as private companies.

There is no school that is better regarded for Chemistry and Physics programs than CU-Boulder. Period. (Aerospace Engineering too)

http://www.colorado.edu/news/nobel/

First off, I apologize for comparing you to Marinovich's father (meant more as a dumb joke) in another thread.

Secondly, if your son is looking for sciences or engineering, I'd take a good look at CU. CU is by no means the BEST science school out there, but it is amazingly strong for a public university. Our Aerospace and Chemical/Biological Engineering Departments do some great research. As stated, our Chemistry and Physics departments are strong as well. I don't think of Psychology as a normal science, but it is also really good at CU. If he wants to do anything bio-chem wise, the work being done in the Chemical Engineering and Chemistry departments in relation to bio is very good. Not that this gives the engineering department more academic clout, but Engineering Without Borders was started by a CU professor, with CU students helping a lot.

We don't have a music-hip-hop production program, but I can't really think of a school that is WEAK at CU. Some are stronger than others, and some are very average - but CU is a strong school. Graduate studies in particular are what make CU great in my opinion (like the sciences/engineering mentioned). Our Law School (I know your son is undergrad) is the best in the area - tier 1 or 2 school depending on who you reference.

Take a visit for a few days, and check it out for yourself. Boulder has a reputation as a party school, and sure, it's warranted. However, I entered college as a really conservative Christian. My first few years were spent having a great time in Christian circles. And then when I started partying, there of course was a release for that. My point is that although Boulder gets stereotyped as having a particular type of individual, Boulder provides kids with many different outlets for expressing and discovering oneself. It may not be culturally or ethnically diverse (most universities aren't though), but it is very diverse in thought in my opinion. In encourage you to keep CU Boulder in the mix as you keep searching. Happy hunting and best wishes for you and your son.

Former Buff Kicker Kevin Eberhard graduated with a degree in Rocket Science*.
http://www.kbmt12.com/sports/big12sports/11317666.html

*technically it was a master's degree in aerospace engineering, graduated May 2007.

I can't swear to it, but I read somewhere he was working for NASA now.

Former LB Kory Mossoni graduated Chemical Engineering, and Donald Strickland was a Mechanical Engineering (I think he graduated too with the degree, but I'm not entirely sure, as the draft preparations may have inhibited him).

Jim Hansen, OL 86-90, Rhodes Scholar.

Oh, and if you go way back to the 30's, we had a running back named Byron White. His nickname was "Whizzer". He went on to be a Supreme Court Justice.

First off, I apologize for comparing you to Marinovich's father (meant more as a dumb joke) in another thread.

Don`t wory about it.

My boys know that I`m not a Marinovich, and that`s all that matters to me.

I learned something a long time ago.

You can`t force kids to do something, and expect them to want to do it.

I have some unique ways of coaching my boys, but my number one rule is to make them beg me to go kicking.

I hate all the year round over-training that kids have to endure these days.
I`m against coach`s making kids commit to one sport in high school.
I think a great athlete should play every sport he can.
Look at most pro athlete`s bio`s.
Most were multi-sport stars, not single sport, year round stars.

Jake was the starting QB for three years, two in Pop Warner and one as a freshman.
His Soph year he would have been Josh Nunes`s back-up, but he said he just wanted to focus on kicking.
Now Justin Nunes, who was 4th string behind Jake on the freshman team, is the starting varsity QB.

I think Jake would have been a top ranked national recruit as a QB, but he didn`t want it, so I didn`t push it.

My wife pointed out a great quote to me from the movie Seabiscuit.
She`ll bring it up when Jake is going through a slump from too many kicking competitions, and too many kicking gurus trying to tell him what to do.

"l just can't help feelin' they got him so screwed up runnin' in a circle, he`s forgotten what he was born to do.

He just needs to learn how to be a horse again."

That`s when we forget about everything else, grab the kicking bag, and just go out and kick some balls.
Just us.

Love that attitude. You already sound like well grounded awesome parents.

And others around here like kicking balls too. Make sure you meet Ladyblaise and talk about technique. Although she is a pretty staunch proponent of using a ski boot.:smile2:

Back