What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Women's Basketball Coach JR Payne

What was that...8 days on the job? That doesn't feel like a guy I would trust.

I'd like to find out the story on the hiring process. Did Coach Payne specifically single this guy out for the asst coaching position? Or did he interview for the job after he was hired at Southeastern?
Meh. An assistant coach. Not a head coach.

Good find, BeBe.

Tim Hays went 24-6 at Southeastern this year. LINK Clearly, the dude can coach. Got to love the Colorado connection as a native and former CCU coach, where he won the RMAC title as a springboard to the Southeastern job. Plus, we can hope that he's got some international recruiting hook ups from coaching in Australia.

Payne had an Australian player, a freshmen at Santa Clara this season. That would have been her recruit. Since we are in dire need of a post player, I will take a one and done graduate transfer to help us if need be.

Payne had an Australian player, a freshmen at Santa Clara this season. That would have been her recruit. Since we are in dire need of a post player, I will take a one and done graduate transfer to help us if need be.

We have some good players but nowhere near enough for the level of competition we play.

Her success, and that of the program, is going to depend a lot on if she can find and bring in some players who can help early. Transfer talent would speed that along.

I've followed coach Hays in his time at CCU (in my mind, consistently the best coach in in the RMAC year after year). Amazing what he did in Lakewood with no budget, no scholarships, and no facilities.
Great recruiter, hard-nosed, always very tough defenses. Should be a great addition to this new CU staff.

I've followed coach Hays in his time at CCU (in my mind, consistently the best coach in in the RMAC year after year). Amazing what he did in Lakewood with no budget, no scholarships, and no facilities.
Great recruiter, hard-nosed, always very tough defenses. Should be a great addition to this new CU staff.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board.

We have some good players but nowhere near enough for the level of competition we play.

Her success, and that of the program, is going to depend a lot on if she can find and bring in some players who can help early. Transfer talent would speed that along.

We need some transfers to fill in the gaps, whether they have a year or two of eligibility remaining. As long as they are Pac 12 caliber, bring them to CU.

So far, no transfer out news is good news.

Jamee Swan put out a tweet today that it's confirmed that she will be playing in Switzerland next season. Chucky Jeffrey is having success in Romania as her team won the Romanian championship. Brittany Wilson's team in Sweden lost in the first round of the playoffs due to, according to B-Wil, 13 turnovers by the point guard. That does not win basketball games.

Last edited:
Regarding transfers, I want to remind people that WBB is 1 of the 3 sports that require that year of sitting out after the transfer (FB & MBB being the others). So for immediate help from non-freshmen, the only routes are grad transfers and juco transfers.

Like what I am seeing so far with JR Payne. She is putting together an experienced staff who have been thru the wars before and have had success. She is not hiring coaches just because they are your friends or you owe them a favor. Doing that is a recipe for failure. Having capable, competent assistants are worth a boatload of bluechips.

We need some transfers to fill in the gaps, whether they have a year or two of eligibility remaining. As long as they are Pac 12 caliber, bring them to CU.

So far, no transfer out news is good news.

Jamie Swan put out a tweet today that it's confirmed that she will be playing in Switzerland next season. Chucky Jeffrey is having success in Romania as her team won the Romanian championship. Brittany Wilson's team in Iceland lost in the first round of the playoffs due to, according to B-Wil, 13 turnovers by the point guard. That does not win basketball games.
*Luxembourg. But I'm very excited for her. One of my favorite players recently, glad to see her get a contract

Regarding transfers, I want to remind people that WBB is 1 of the 3 sports that require that year of sitting out after the transfer (FB & MBB being the others). So for immediate help from non-freshmen, the only routes are grad transfers and juco transfers.

Plus graduate transfer who have immediate eligibility. Like Arielle Roberson.

Let's hope Payne & Co. are able to land Eleanor Jones from the UK.

Yes, I hope Eleanor Jones will become a Buff.

Buffnik said grad transfers and juco transfers can offer immediate help. That was why I mentioned a one and done player. Find a grad transfer. Some players have already announced they will not be returning as they have graduated and are looking to transfer.

This team is in dire need of post players. I am sure that is a reason Payne was hired, since Coach T coaches the post players.

Just looked at cubuffs.com and Jamie Carey is still shown as a coach. Time will tell with her. She has had a good relationship with Leonard and Robinson, so it might be a good move to keep her on staff.

Anyone know if JR is considering Shandrika Lee as one of the assistant (she's been assistant with her at Santa Clara)? If She is, seems like Payne, Towns, Hays, Lee would be the crew (maybe Carey... not sure).....

This team is in dire need of post players. I am sure that is a reason Payne was hired, since Coach T coaches the post players.

CU had a horrible season record wise, but should they find a solid post player for next season (at this point a long shot) they could have a decent team next season. They should have some good talent on the wing and point.

Yes, they had a horrible season, which is why Lappe got fired.

I will stay optimistic for a post player, even if it's a grad transfer or international player only here for one year while they recruit a good four year player.

Anyone know if JR is considering Shandrika Lee as one of the assistant (she's been assistant with her at Santa Clara)? If She is, seems like Payne, Towns, Hays, Lee would be the crew (maybe Carey... not sure).....

I don't know if Lee is being considered, but Carey is a good guard coach who has great rapport with Leonard and Robinson. May need to keep her to keep them and those are two players we don't want to let slip away if at all possible.

FYI, Arizona has hired Aida Barnes, former Arizona player and Washington assistant coach as their head coach. Appears Ryun Williams will not be coaching at Arizona.

One of the coaches mentioned in the article with Williams was our own JR Payne.

Last edited:
FYI, Arizona has hired Aida Barnes, former Arizona player and Washington assistant coach as their head coach. Appears Ryun Williams will not be coaching at Arizona.

One of the coaches mentioned in the article with Williams was our own JR Payne.
But, but, but.....Ryun is the bestest coach west of the Mississip!

I had noticed over the weekend the Jamie Carey was no longer on the CU website. I don't know anything about Lee. I hope with Lee being the guard coach, we are able to keep Leonard and Robinson. I assume Coach Payne took that in to consideration before bring Lee on board.

What I see in Coach Lee's bio sounds good. She has experience working with Coach JR and Coach T. She has 3 years experience as a coach in the PAC 12. She has the reputation, per Coach JR, as one of the top recruiters on the west coast.
But as Buffgal said, her first recruiting challenge will be to keep Leonard and Robinson. It was the apparent good relationship with these two that made me inclined to want to keep Jamie Carey on staff.

It's completely understandable that many here want to see coach Payne retain Jamie Carey. The reality is that new head coaches seem to hire assistants they know or are comfortable with.

One of my concerns in assembling a staff is being sure there is a local connection and there appears to be one in Tim Hays.

As for coach Lee, I agree with BeBe's assessment of her bio.

It's completely understandable that many here want to see coach Payne retain Jamie Carey. The reality is that new head coaches seem to hire assistants they know or are comfortable with.

One of my concerns in assembling a staff is being sure there is a local connection and there appears to be one in Tim Hays.

As for coach Lee, I agree with BeBe's assessment of her bio.
I agree with Mark about the Colorado connection being another reason why I had wanted to see Jamie Carey stay on staff. And speaking of Tim Hays, wonder what is happening there. It was all over twitter-verse over a week ago that he was taking an assistant job at Colorado WBB but nothing has been announced here yet.

I agree with Mark about the Colorado connection being another reason why I had wanted to see Jamie Carey stay on staff. And speaking of Tim Hays, wonder what is happening there. It was all over twitter-verse over a week ago that he was taking an assistant job at Colorado WBB but nothing has been announced here yet.

Brian Howell says on twitter today the Hays "announcement" was premature. To quote him (I don't know how to imbed tweets) they are still looking at candidates.

Brian Howell says on twitter today the Hays "announcement" was premature. To quote him (I don't know how to imbed tweets) they are still looking at candidates.
WOW! It certainly sounded like Hays believed he had a job here since he left a HC job at Southeastern (I think) that he had just accepted maybe a week or two before. And that job has already been filled with someone else.

The words and the photo in this article speak volumes!

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...-basketball-buffs-buy-paynes-positive-message

Look at the smile on the face of Bri Watts!

A report two weeks ago said former Colorado Christian head coach Tim Hays would be joining Payne's staff, but Payne said, "Someone jumped the gun on that." ... Payne has two open scholarships for this next season said "we're very close" to filling those spots. She said the staff is looking at high school and junior college players as well as transfers. "We're figuring out who is going to be able to come in and impact right away," she said. ... Later this week, players are planning to give the coaches a campus tour.

WOW! It certainly sounded like Hays believed he had a job here since he left a HC job at Southeastern (I think) that he had just accepted maybe a week or two before. And that job has already been filled with someone else.

Hays may have inside knowledge that the CSU job is about to open as an anonymous source has been bombarding the Louisiana Tech AD with stats supporting a superstar coach on the rise who can right the ship there.

Back