What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Women's Basketball Coach JR Payne

Article from Brian Howell on the approach of the new coaching staff:
http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...-basketball-buffs-buy-paynes-positive-message

"You can tell she really cares about us — all of them do," said Leonard, who recently completed her freshman season with the Colorado women's basketball team. "It's a different kind of feel, a positive feel."

Payne said she is still looking at various candidates to fill vacancies for an assistant coach, director of operations and video coordinator. ... A report two weeks ago said former Colorado Christian head coach Tim Hays would be joining Payne's staff, but Payne said, "Someone jumped the gun on that."

Payne has two open scholarships for this next season said "we're very close" to filling those spots. She said the staff is looking at high school and junior college players as well as transfers. "We're figuring out who is going to be able to come in and impact right away," she said.

Love those tweets. Would never have seen that kind of interaction before! I am guessing Kennedy has bought in already and that is what the article sounds like.

What I also loved about the article was the photo of Coach JR with Bri Watts! The last three years could not have been enjoyable for her. I hope she at least gets coached and is given an opportunity to play. When I was in Boulder for the Omni Classic, Bri gave the team some good minutes. No, she couldn't go very long, but the minutes she gave in that game were inspired and helped her team. Just give the kid an opportunity. Help her improve and give her playing time. Bri wasn't taken on some road trips and wasn't even getting put in when the game was a blowout.

Last edited:
The news release from Southeastern was very specific. Here's a quote and the link:
"Hays has been named to the women's basketball coaching staff at the University of Colorado under new head coach JR Payne"
http://fire.seu.edu/news/2016/3/30/hays-resigns-as-seu-womens-basketball-coach.aspx
I believe Payne offered Hays the assistant job at Colorado. No way he would have resigned from SEU (which is a great job) without being offered the assistant job at CU (that would make no sense from a coaching or career perspective).
Not sure why he is not already signed. Great coach, solid guy, good recruiter. I think he could really contribute to the team and coaching staff. Need to get him signed right away and complete this coaching staff.

The article is from March 30. Payne needs to figure it out.

For me, I'd prefer another woman on the staff as opposed to two male assistants. I like to see women coaching women and men coaching men. Now slam me, but I don't care. Where in the NCAA, do you see a woman as an assistant coach of a men's program? Google didn't turn up any at D-I. We already have Coach Torino.

I do like to see the best person hired, but men have encroached more and more on the coaching jobs on the women's side, but women are not coaching the men.

Becky Hammon is doing well in the Dallas summer league, but she is the exception.

The article is from March 30. Payne needs to figure it out.

For me, I'd prefer another woman on the staff as opposed to two male assistants. I like to see women coaching women and men coaching men. Now slam me, but I don't care. Where in the NCAA, do you see a woman as an assistant coach of a men's program? Google didn't turn up any at D-I. We already have Coach Torino.

I do like to see the best person hired, but men have encroached more and more on the coaching jobs on the women's side, but women are not coaching the men.

Becky Hammon is doing well in the Dallas summer league, but she is the exception.
Your point is well taken, however I would prefer the best coach available regardless of gender. If the best candidate is Hays, and he can help the Buffs turn this around and help this team compete in this league... then I say sign him up!

Will wait and see what happens. He would be coming from a DII school. Would prefer assistants with DI experience. Still say we have one man coaching and a woman can be found who can do the job an do it well. There are lots of female assistant coaches out there who would probably love to coach under Coach Payne and at Colorado.

There used to be more female coaches in women's basketball than there is now. Why? Shouldn't be like that since women don't get the same opportunity to coach men.

Will wait and see what happens. He would be coming from a DII school. Would prefer assistants with DI experience. Still say we have one man coaching and a woman can be found who can do the job an do it well. There are lots of female assistant coaches out there who would probably love to coach under Coach Payne and at Colorado.

There used to be more female coaches in women's basketball than there is now. Why? Shouldn't be like that since women don't get the same opportunity to coach men.

The decline in the percentage of female HCs in WBB is definitely concerning.

Still does better than other NCAA women's sports, but it is an issue and an opportunity.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-basketball-now-than-there-were-a-decade-ago/

Thanks for the article Nik.

When Title IX was enacted in 1972, more than 90 percent of women’s college teams were coached by women.3 Forty-three years later, that number has fallen to 40 percent. With the number of women’s athletic programs higher than it has ever been, progress on the sidelines has fallen well behind the standard set on the court.

I remember the days when most of the opponents coming to Boulder had female head coaches and mostly female assistants. Male assistant coaches under Coach Barry: Paul Lindsay 87-90, Steve Kauffman 90-91, Dan Simmons 91-92, Jim Jabir 02-03, Ron Burgin 03-04, Matt Daniel 04-05.

Dan Simmons tenure at Colorado did not last an entire season. Here's some history on him. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1320383/posts

There are some great women coaches out there - no doubt. Hopefully JR is one of those.
I think there are also some great men coaches in D1 basketball (that are going about things in the right way... who are professional). Just looking at the final 4 this year as an example:
OSU - Scott Rueck
UCONN - Geno Auriemma
Syracuse - Quentin Hillsman
Washington- Mike Neighbors

Just to be clear, I believe he was found not guilty on all accounts correct?

From what I read. There was an issue while he was at CU, but I don't think it had anything to do with anyone who was underage, so no charges. He just lost his job.

There are some great women coaches out there - no doubt. Hopefully JR is one of those.
I think there are also some great men coaches in D1 basketball (that are going about things in the right way... who are professional). Just looking at the final 4 this year as an example:
OSU - Scott Rueck
UCONN - Geno Auriemma
Syracuse - Quentin Hillsman
Washington- Mike Neighbors

A lot of female fans do not like that all four coaches at this year's final four were men.

A lot of female fans do not like that all four coaches at this year's final four were men.

All things being equal, it's better if your WBB coach is a woman.
All things being equal, it's better if your coaching staff is ethnically diverse.
All things being equal, it's better if your style of play is fast-paced and high scoring.

But thing are never equal. What's always going to drive recruiting and fan support is winning.

So I'm all for focusing hires 100% on who the AD believes gives the program the best chance at winning big. Everything else falls into place after making the hire with a single-minded focus on winning.

As I posted earlier I simply find it hard to believe that there are fewer women qualified to be head coaches, or assistants, of women's programs now than in the past. We have over 25 years of Title IX. Thousands of intelligent, motivated, and knowledgeable women have come through various levels of women's basketball.

I agree that they should have the best coach possible regardless of gender but I think other factors are at play. One is that is women aren't getting opportunities as assistants then how do they develop into candidates for head coaching jobs. Another may simply be that male athletic directors are more familiar with and more comfortable hiring male coaches. Another, and I don't know this to be true but it seems like male coaches get more opportunities to retread. Men get fired and eventually get another job, a woman gets fired and she is stuck as an assistant without a second opportunity.

Either way something needs to change. It bothers me that we can with a straight face tell girls coming out of high school that they are good enough to wear the jersey and represent the university but aren't good enough to be given a fair shot in the future at coaching that same sport

It bothers me that with each passing year there are fewer and fewer female head coaches in women's basketball. Yes, there are many talented coaches in the US. It also bothers me that women don't seem to get second chances at being a head coach if they fail at a school, but men do.

It bothers me greatly that Santa Clara replaced Coach Payne with Bill Carr, who has never coached women's basketball. From the Santa Clara press release: "While this will be Bill's first time coaching on the women's side, I have been fortunate to know him for more than 10 years and tracked his accomplishments," Baumgartner said. "He is a great teacher of the game and proven winner who values the balance between academics, athletics and the student-athlete experience."

So tell me again why a woman can't coach men's basketball if it's so easy to jump from the men's game to the women's game?

It bothers me that with each passing year there are fewer and fewer female head coaches in women's basketball. Yes, there are many talented coaches in the US. It also bothers me that women don't seem to get second chances at being a head coach if they fail at a school, but men do.

It bothers me greatly that Santa Clara replaced Coach Payne with Bill Carr, who has never coached women's basketball. From the Santa Clara press release: "While this will be Bill's first time coaching on the women's side, I have been fortunate to know him for more than 10 years and tracked his accomplishments," Baumgartner said. "He is a great teacher of the game and proven winner who values the balance between academics, athletics and the student-athlete experience."

So tell me again why a woman can't coach men's basketball if it's so easy to jump from the men's game to the women's game?

I wish I could answer your question, but I can't.

The best I can do is to pose my own. Why are the numbers of women coaches decreasing?

I applaud CU for hiring a woman to lead the women's team. I hope we never need a Title IX type program mandating these opportunities but I believe women, including my own daughter, benefit from having these role models to set the mark and aspire to achieve similar goals. I have no problem justifying the salaries being linked to revenues but I do believe women are equally qualified to fill the coaching roles.

The women's US Soccer story provides an interesting case study as to just how ingrained our bias is (granted that was primarily aimed at player salaries)

I wish I could answer your question, but I can't.

The best I can do is to pose my own. Why are the numbers of women coaches decreasing?
Women's choice. As the intensity and demands on time increase in a highly competitive field, women choose a different lifestyle other than that as a coach, where experience shows that as an assistant you move constantly and have little job security. Most women are more risk-averse than men.
One of those wonderful things about biology; they're different, complementary, but different nonetheless.

Women's choice. As the intensity and demands on time increase in a highly competitive field, women choose a different lifestyle other than that as a coach, where experience shows that as an assistant you move constantly and have little job security. Most women are more risk-averse than men.
One of those wonderful things about biology; they're different, complementary, but different nonetheless.

So even though there should be more qualified women available for coaching positions they have become more risk-averse and are more frequently making lifestyle choices away from coaching?

Men and women are different. Your explanation though is contrary to the facts.

I think @buffgal has a prime example with Carr getting the job that Coach Payne vacated. Appears to me that no woman even had a shot at the job that was given to someone who had zero experience in the women's game.

So even though there should be more qualified women available for coaching positions they have become more risk-averse and are more frequently making lifestyle choices away from coaching?

Men and women are different. Your explanation though is contrary to the facts.

I think @buffgal has a prime example with Carr getting the job that Coach Payne vacated. Appears to me that no woman even had a shot at the job that was given to someone who had zero experience in the women's game.

Anecdote is not data or is it a universal fact! 40% decline in the face of Title IX is a pretty strong indication that many women are choosing against entering into a profession that demands a high time commitment, combined with extremely low career stability. That's not a profession many people would enter and I have to believe, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding that women are choosing other professions due to their natural risk-averse outlook and the desire to spend time creating and nurturing a family. Deny nature all you want!

Last edited:

I do not buy the risk-averse argument in the least. It's not a choice. That is a ridiculous argument, imo.

I fought long and hard back in the 70's to get a job when I had been told I wasn't qualified because CPA's did not like dealing with women. That set me on fire and I fought and won. Funny thing was I knew my career in that city was over, so I transferred to the Denver office. I was totally shocked the first time I went to training and there were all kinds of women doing the job I had been told CPA's didn't like to deal with. It was management's opinion in the city I left that women should not be in the job. Another woman who did not get promoted also fought and got back pay. Yes, there then followed a change in management. Today, there are probably more women than men in that position. Funny how that worked out.

Yes, we are different than men, but your argument does not hold water. There has never been any job security, especially if you are an assistant coach, in coaching of any sort. When the head coach leaves for any reason, if you are unable to follow them, you are job hunting. It's always been like that.

When Coach Barry retired, she was able to put her long time director of basketball operations in to the position of what is now the Associate AD/Student Services. Tracy Tripp was the director of basketball operations for KMM and she is now in the athletic department in HR.

An assistant coach for Coach Barry, Karen Morrison, who is one of the brightest women I've ever met, left coaching when she and her partner adopted young children. She moved over to the Athletic Department as an Associate Athletic Director/SWA. She then spent 8 years with the NCAA and is now at the University of Central Florida. Without her father, the University of Oklahoma may not have a women's basketball program today. In March of 1990, OU tried to drop women's basketball. Her father was a big donor as well as fan (except when they played Colorado) and 8 days later the program was reinstated. OU took a chance with Sherri Coale and look what has happened since!

Anecdote is not data or is it a universal fact! 40% decline in the face of Title IX is a pretty strong indication that many women are choosing against entering into a profession that demands a high time commitment, combined with extremely low career stability. That's not a profession many people would enter and I have to believe, anecdotal evidence notwithstanding that women are choosing other professions due to their natural risk-averse outlook and the desire to spend time creating and nurturing a family. Deny nature all you want!

Statistics since you are so insistent on this.

I see many women coaching basketball who do quite well creating and nurturing a family!

You can't get your head around the idea that the 40% drop might have something to do with the fact that the overwhelming number of athletic directors are males who are much more comfortable interviewing, hiring, and working with men.

When we see jobs filled by a male coach who either has no experience in the women's game or has losing experience in the women's game and no women got more than a courtesy interview, if that, then you can't blame in on a lack of interested and qualified women candidates.

I know for a fact that there are women out there looking for coaching jobs. Women who were successful college players and who have the drive and dedication to translate their knowledge into effective coaching. They simply can't get interviews.

I'll stop now because arguing with you is like arguing with a dead stump but I hope that at least this discussion will get some other people thinking. I have a vested interest, I want my two daughters to have similar options careerwise as my son.

By the way if women are so naturally risk-averse then why are the majority of applicants and students in med schools now women. With the academic and financial barriers to entry and the unpredictable nature of the system with government intervention and managed care I would say medicine is much riskier than coaching.

@buffgal - living down here I've heard the story of the near demise of the ou program. It's a pretty incredible story.

I hope JR is the next Sherri Coale. And if she isn't, I hope CU keeps searching until they find that level of coach.

The program deserves it.

Back