What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New WR coach

I wonder if there's anyone out there that worked with Hawk at Boise State as a GA or something who they would have their eye on. His original staff was nearly all guys he worked with before in one way or another. That's more likely than pulling a former Buff who he's never met (unless the guy has amazing credentials and just wants to be back in Boulder - ala Brown and Cabral).

I did not know Ron Prince was the second coming of Frank Kush.

...except that Kush won a lot of ball games, making the comparison weak at best. Hey, that punter (and his family) deserved to be punched - the sue-happy bastards. I'll never forget in 1975 after ASU had beaten kNU in the Fiesta bowl and wondering - what the hell is an ASU? kNU was Big Eight co-champs that year.

Was a defensive back in college and the pros and has zero coaching experience.

Next...

True, but he's an alum with name recognition which could help recruiting. Besides, how hard can it be to coach WR's - "run fast, catch ball" that's all you need to know. (Tongue firmly in cheek here, but people seem to be throwing every alum's name out there to see what sticks so I'm piling on)

Actually, I'm really liking the Dave Logan idea if he would be interested - sure would give us a boost locally.

The question I have about Logan is how popular is he with other high school coaches in Colorado? There are still a lot of hard feelings in Jeffco toward him, I know that for a fact.

Do we need a boost locally? It seems as if we've been doing pretty well in that respect of late.

I think we're doing fine locally, but hiring Logan would be pretty good pub. Problem is that Logan has never shown any inclination to pay his dues so it really is a longshot.

I'm still in the Embree as a first choice camp, no matter if it's a long shot. I think Cormier would be a great choice. For what ever reason, Logan does not excite me that much, although he could probably be a decent WR coach. I aslo don't believe that Logan's ego would allow him to be an assistant coach. He's got a pretty cushy job with KOA, with out even factoring in the Mullen gig.

I can agree with that. Getting Embree would be HUGE. If he is not interested, go after Cormier. Logan would be coaching at the college level already if he was interested in being a position coach.

I was just reading the duck comments in the eugene paper and came across this:

David Lassen, Eugene

Helfrich does have experience in similar offensive schemes - as a player at Southern Oregon. I played alongside him for three years in a system that was known as a “passing team with an option run game.” We often did shotgun no-huddle throwing the ball all over the field, and used an option run game with a motion man becoming one of the options.

Wow.

http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/...ll/comments/helfrich-joins-uo-coaching-staff/

I think we're doing fine locally, but hiring Logan would be pretty good pub. Problem is that Logan has never shown any inclination to pay his dues so it really is a longshot.

You guys are probably right, and I agree we're doing fine locally sine Hawk took over. I'm not so much interested in how Logan could help recruiting wise, I'm just thinking there are probably lots of HS football fans and Bronco fans that Logan would have great connections to. The local support I'm talking about is more related to butts in seats as opposed to recruiting. Maybe he can somehow draw some crazy Bronco fans who didn't go to CU to adopt the Buffs. Just a thought.

And as to your point about Logan's possible lack of interest - has he ever been approached about a job at CU?

I don't think any Broncos fans will become Buff fans because the announcer would be a coach at CU. JMO. He said before he has no interest in leaving his job at KOA. No chance.

I don't think any Broncos fans will become Buff fans because the announcer would be a coach at CU. JMO. He said before he has no interest in leaving his job at KOA. No chance.

No on's coming to a game to see a WR coach, I understand that - my point is, there are plenty of football fans in CO, who for one reason or another are not necessarily CU fans and all I'm saying is that Logan may be a better connection to them (Bronco & CO HS football fans) than anyone currently on staff.

Plus he apears to be a hell of a coach, so I think it's at least worth a call.

I can agree with that. Getting Embree would be HUGE. If he is not interested, go after Cormier. Logan would be coaching at the college level already if he was interested in being a position coach.
I don't think we could land Embree as a position coach. He put in a lot of years on the CU staff and never got a serious look when the jobs he wanted came open (OC or HC) and I'm guessing he's probably still a little sour on that. Plus, with all the experience he has gotten since he left it doesn't make sense for him to come back to CU unless he's going to be taking a step up from where he was before he left. I think the next time (if there is a next time) we see Embree as a CU coach it is either as the OC or HC.

I don't think we could land Embree as a position coach. He put in a lot of years on the CU staff and never got a serious look when the jobs he wanted came open (OC or HC) and I'm guessing he's probably still a little sour on that. Plus, with all the experience he has gotten since he left it doesn't make sense for him to come back to CU unless he's going to be taking a step up from where he was before he left. I think the next time (if there is a next time) we see Embree as a CU coach it is either as the OC or HC.

I agree, but he would be the first guy to contact IMO. Never hurts to ask.

I was just reading the duck comments in the eugene paper and came across this:

David Lassen, Eugene

Helfrich does have experience in similar offensive schemes - as a player at Southern Oregon. I played alongside him for three years in a system that was known as a “passing team with an option run game.” We often did shotgun no-huddle throwing the ball all over the field, and used an option run game with a motion man becoming one of the options.

Wow.

Did that play ever work? For anyone?

Most of the people mentioned here are not going to come for the money available and the position.

Embree - To high a price, been there already
Dorrell- Same story, moreso
Wilcotts- Great communicator, could be a big-time recruiter. No experience and making way to much money on TV to become a coach.
Logan- May be a re-occuring joke to bring his name up but some do it in seriousness. He wants to be in charge, is doing well in the media financially, may not exactly be popular with the Colorado HS coaches and has no significance out of state, forget him.

Cormier - I think a great choice, has experience yet still young and enthusiastic. Is known in Texas and is a really good guy. The only drawback is getting him out of Miami (Oh.) Most assistant coaches have clauses that let them leave for career advancement. I can't imagine he would not want to leave the MAC for the BigXII and his alma mater. We may have to give him a different title to qualify him for the out (i.e. passing coordinator, etc.)

Back