What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Year's Day bowl game thread

i hate tcu, bsu, and all their apologists.

bsu beat ou on a trick play. anyone can beat anyone in one game. CU beat ou a couple years back and let me just say for the record that the CU team that beat ou that day wasn't half as well-coached as the bsu team that beat ou in the bowl game. bsu was spent, done, finished, and over. that is WHY they went for the trick play to win it. they had nothing left in the tank. they played over their heads the whole day and nothing left in reserve. had they tied it up again, i believe with a moral certainty that ou finishes them off in ot.

tcu is playing well. i don't care. one game proves nothing. put them in the b12 or p12 and then tell me how they'd do. exhibit A will be utah.

all this fawning over the gutty little upstarts annoys me. they didn't earn their way into the big boy leagues by investing in sports the way the major programs have invested. they don't even deserve to be in the conversation for best in the land.

a nice 3 or 4 round playoff would solve this once and for all. watch and see how many cinderella stories will make it to the final 2. it will be just like the ncaa bb tourney. the idiot masses will get their hearts going all aflutter over the equivalent of butler or st. mary's, but when it comes time to decide the best in the land, it will be only the big boys standing.

that is how it goes.

I watched every play too and what I saw was a Boise team that was physically out matched by OU but played with incredible tenacity (and superb execution) which allowed them to stay in the game with a team that 9 times out of 10 would beat up on a team like Boise. To me the fact that they had to go to the trickery to win the game only highlights that the physical gap between the teams was becoming a bigger factor as the game went on.

In this game, OTOH, I don't see TCU having the same gap in size/talent/speed that Boise had. The frogs seem every bit as smash mouth as Wisc and are giving as good or better than they are getting.

(I write this response and then wisc starts running over the top of the frogs. )

bsu beat ou on a trick play. anyone can beat anyone in one game. CU beat ou a couple years back and let me just say for the record that the CU team that beat ou that day wasn't half as well-coached as the bsu team that beat ou in the bowl game. bsu was spent, done, finished, and over. that is WHY they went for the trick play to win it. they had nothing left in the tank. they played over their heads the whole day and nothing left in reserve. had they tied it up again, i believe with a moral certainty that ou finishes them off in ot.

tcu is playing well. i don't care. one game proves nothing. put them in the b12 or p12 and then tell me how they'd do. exhibit A will be utah.

all this fawning over the gutty little upstarts annoys me. they didn't earn their way into the big boy leagues by investing in sports the way the major programs have invested. they don't even deserve to be in the conversation for best in the land.

a nice 3 or 4 round playoff would solve this once and for all. watch and see how many cinderella stories will make it to the final 2. it will be just like the ncaa bb tourney. the idiot masses will get their hearts going all aflutter over the equivalent of butler or st. mary's, but when it comes time to decide the best in the land, it will be only the big boys standing.

that is how it goes.

Where do you draw the line on a "trick play"? Was Wiscy's fake punt earlier a trick play? They showed one thing and used the element of surprise to do something else completely. How about a draw play? A middle screen? A play action pass? What about the counter that was so effective for us against nebraska in '01? What about pump fakes? What about all those things teams do to make the defense bite, step out of position so that they can do something else?

I like a power game as much as anybody, but football's chess match is an exciting part of any game.

that is how it goes.

TCU beat 6 bowl teams (more than Oregon did), and they allowed a total of 20 points in a six game span.

Wisconsin scored 70+ points three times this season with a 83 point game.

that is how it goes.

A great many of the "elite" institutions that you seem to defend have had their own programs built because of "one game".

It is a part of the greatness of college football.

TCU is certainly "investing" in major college football. If you want to play ostrich, then go right ahead.

Football is football, it is played on the fields and TCU is doing a damn fine job of it.

There is also a reason Utah was invited into the Pac-12, and it wasn't just because they beat 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl one year.

Miami, Florida State, Arizona State, and even CU were all "nobody's" at one point.

that is how it goes.

Circular logic. If BSU, BYU, TCU were in a big boy conference, they'd recruit better, get more lucrative tv revenues, and invest more in their facilities.

TCU and BSU gain supporters because their coaches get their players to execute and to consistently win.

It's great that po-dunk TCU is undefeated and playing in the Rose Bowl while a behemoth like UT and all their 5-stars and spendy alums are staying home.

Back