1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next 2 sports at CU: Men's LAX & Women's Rugby

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by Buffnik, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Saw this brought up a couple weeks ago on the Scout board by a member. Suggestion that RG is looking at Rugby. Nothing for next year or anything, but the most likely additions within the long-range plan.

USA Rugby is actually based in Boulder County (Lafayette). Natural fit.

Also important, it is a 12 scholarship sport. That matches almost perfectly with Men's LAX being a 12.6 scholarship sport.

I hope this is true and that it happens within the next 5 years. Would be great for CU.

BUFFering and Fight CU like this.
  2. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

YOOOOG if it happens. Love it

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Thumbs up

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Mens LAX would be a great addition, I just don't see it happening in the current Title IX environment. Women's rugby perhaps. I just don't see another men's sport added until we have a lot more parity between the number of scholarships for both men and women. This gets in to the whole football debate as to whether all of those 85 scholarships should really be counted against the numbers. For now, they are.

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Apparently we are now in compliance on scholarships. CU's issue is spending per athlete. CU spends a lot more per male athlete. A big reason for that is having so few sports to average that spending over. With equipment and everything else, a lot more gets spent on a football player than any other athlete. Adding 12 men's scholarships reduces the average amount spent per male athlete while the additional 12 women would be at par for spending on female athletes. CU thus looks even better on Title IX whereas only adding a women's sport fixes something that ain't broke.

Fight CU likes this.
  6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'll take your word for it. Men's LAX would do well at CU. I'd love to see it happen.

7. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

My cousin woukd probably be a lock for the women's rugby coaching staff. Want