What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NFL Pro Day at Colorado is March 12

AlferdJasper

2014 Pro Day Dates:

March 12:
Alabama, Boston College, Colorado, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, Marshall, Michigan, Nevada, Oklahoma, Rutgers, South Dakota, USC

Hadn't seen this mentioned. Was wondering who we might have participating. Any guesses?

Results show up here: http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

I'm struggling to remember who all graduated or announced they were done, but to start (not saying they are participating in pro day, just that these guys might):

Derrick Webb, Parker Orms, Chidera Uzo-Diribe, Paul Richardson, Jack Harris, Gus Handler come to mind.

Or I could do it the "pick from this list" way, and give you last season's seniors.
9 Bonsu, Nate DL 6-1 290 Sr. Allen, Texas (Allen)
40 Castor, Justin PK 6-4 200 Sr. Golden, Colo. (Arvada West)
99 Fernandez, Scott TE 6-3 255 Sr. Broomfield, Colo. (Legacy)
29 Ford, Josh TB 5-9 205 Sr. Denver, Colo. (Mullen/Barton CC)
55 Handler, Gus OL 6-3 290 Sr. Barrington, Ill. (Barrington)
75 Harris, Jack OL 6-7 295 Sr. Parker, Colo. (Chaparral)
69 Iverson, Ryan SN 6-0 230 Sr. Newport Beach, Calif. (Newport Harbor)
13 Orms, Parker DB 5-11 190 Sr. Wheat Ridge, Colo. (Wheat Ridge)
27 Papilion, Tommy OLB 6-4 215 Sr. Englewood, Colo. (Cherry Creek/Arizona)
41 Smith, Terrel DB 5-9 195 Sr. Paterson, N.J. (Passiac County Tech)
86 Turbow, Alex WR 6-1 195 Sr. San Luis Obispo, Calif. (San Luis Obispo)
96 Uzo-Diribe, Chidera DL 6-3 250 Sr. Corona, Calif. (Corona)
32 Vigo, Paul OLB 6-1 205 Sr. New Brunswick, N.J. (New Brunswick)
1 Webb, Derrick ILB 6-0 225 Sr. Memphis, Tenn. (Whitehaven)
8 Webb, Jordan QB 6-1 215 Sr. Union, Mo. (Union/Kansas)
47 Wood, Alex TE 6-2 235 Sr. Steamboat Springs, Colo. (Steamboat Springs)

I am pretty sure we know that CUD, Jack Harris and PRich have NFL aspirations. No sure if others are going to try. Plus sometimes I believe Buffs from previous years have made a go of it at our pro day.

I don't know if long snappers have specific drills at a pro day or if they have to do private workouts for teams to showcase their skills but Ryan Iverson has the talent to find himself on an NFL roster.

I think Terrell Smith got the medical redishirt year. He is coming back. Josh Ford is also working on getting a medical redshirt.

I think Ryan Iverson, CUD, P Rich have a shot of having long careers in the NFL. Derrick Webb have an outside chance if he gets bigger and can run fast at the pro-timing day.

Last edited:
I don't know if long snappers have specific drills at a pro day or if they have to do private workouts for teams to showcase their skills but Ryan Iverson has the talent to find himself on an NFL roster.

Surprises me that folks think this, but I do wish him well.

I believe PRich and CUD are draft worthy. Harris will get a shot solely based off being 10' tall. Handler was decent but not pro material. Webb could be a special teams standout and make it I'm that fashion. I hope he does. Great Buff! Orms is too beat up to play more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUD and Prich are the only ones to sniff an NFL roster. Maybe Harris but that's an outside chance

Here's the update:
The nine participants included six from this past season’s senior class (DT Nate Bonsu, OL Gus Handler, DB Parker Orms, SN Ryan Iverson, DE Chidera Uzo-Diribe, ILB Derrick Webb), a junior who decided to forgo his senior season (WR Paul Richardson), a member of the 2012 senior class (LB Doug Rippy) and one from the 2011 class (DB Travis Sandersfeld).

and all the details here:
http://www.cubuffs.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209432153

Iverson is still undersized but impressive numbers. There is a reason we get beat Saturday's. Speed. Slow numbers. CUD had a good day. PRich hasn't benched and strength was a big question mark. I don't see him going first. He has a 2nd to 3rd round grade. He also weighed only 170. I love his ability but those aren't first round numbers with only one full college season in 4 years.

all those other guys better buy P Rich dinner. I don't know if we get a single scout on campus if he wasn't entering the draft this year.

Agree but CUD is worth a look. Surprised Harris didn't participate. He injured?

Iverson is still undersized but impressive numbers. There is a reason we get beat Saturday's. Speed. Slow numbers. CUD had a good day. PRich hasn't benched and strength was a big question mark. I don't see him going first. He has a 2nd to 3rd round grade. He also weighed only 170. I love his ability but those aren't first round numbers with only one full college season in 4 years.

Using bench as a main metric is dumb

CUD may have tested into a late round pick, depending on how scouts grade his film

Is there a specific reason the pro day was held on the 12th? It seems to me, going forward, that holding the pro day the first couple of days of NFL free agency isn't the best idea. I think it really limited the media coverage that could've been there, and in Colorado, any Bronco news is going to trump the pro day, especially over the last couple of days.

There's a somewhat related article in the BDC about Vigo. He attended, but as support, not as a participant. His plan is to become an Army Ranger. He's enrolled now. I hope his degree helps him get an officer position.

It's not the main metric, but it is part of a player's overall package. If he has no upper body strength, corners that are his speed could eat him up in pros w/ their size.

There's a somewhat related article in the BDC about Vigo. He attended, but as support, not as a participant. His plan is to become an Army Ranger. He's enrolled now. I hope his degree helps him get an officer position.

Built like a tank, so I wish him the best. Great Buff.

Is there a specific reason the pro day was held on the 12th? It seems to me, going forward, that holding the pro day the first couple of days of NFL free agency isn't the best idea. I think it really limited the media coverage that could've been there, and in Colorado, any Bronco news is going to trump the pro day, especially over the last couple of days.

Nothing against the guys that were there but maybe that was the plan. Also Alabama also had their pro day on the 12th.

When I was in, a non-ROTC degree meant E-3 coming in and fast tracked to E-4.

He will be an E-3 out of bootcamp and likely have a contract that guarantees him OCS.

He will be an E-3 out of bootcamp and likely have a contract that guarantees him OCS.

40 years ago with no degree I exited Navy boot camp as E-3 and made E-4 after finishing A electronics technician training a couple of months later. A guy who went through boot camp the same time had a degree with no guarantee of anything but applying to OCS. A long time ago, but I think it's all about their need and what you can get in writing. With Gates diminishing the active force, there will be less opportunity.

what

Upper body strength is a huge asset when hand fighting off of the line. Quick release is even more important for a speed guy. Look at the super bowl to see what a physical defender can do to nuetralize a receiver.

It's not the main metric, but it is part of a player's overall package. If he has no upper body strength, corners that are his speed could eat him up in pros w/ their size.

Upper body strength is a huge asset when hand fighting off of the line. Quick release is even more important for a speed guy. Look at the super bowl to see what a physical defender can do to nuetralize a receiver.
Let me know when they're blocking from their backs and I'll value bench press in a player evaluation, you don't bench while standing up. I would value squats and other power lifts that test for explosive strength. Eric Richter benched 225lbs 52 times, by that logic he should have been a great OL for us. USC's kicker benched 225 more times than both Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews. Travis Fredericks (1st center taken last year) did only 21 reps on bench. Taylor Lewan (Michigan tackle who is a 1st round pick) did 26 reps. Jake Matthewes did 24 reps.

Slap fights on the line are usually won by speed and timing, not strength. On the other hand having a high bench is rarely going to hurt someones ability to play football.

Back