1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice words about DH by the comPOST: 27 Jan

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffwings, Jan 27, 2009.

1. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Buttermaker likes this.
  2. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

there are some posters here who will not like that article one bit. not at all.

let the bitching begin!!!!

3. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Say what you will about Armstrong, but this article is great "State of the Union" about CU Football. The Bohn / Hawkins administration have approached this process with the right attitude. There were multiple deficiencies on multiple fronts - Fund Raising, Recruiting, Facilities, Donor Relations, Public Perceptions - to name a few.

Many will point out that CU went to the Big XII championship game twice in a row prior to GB's dismissal. After promptly losing those games we went on to EV1.net Houston Bowl and the Champs Sports Bowl. We backed into both of those games in a depleted Big XII North.

I have my frustrations with the Hawkins tenure regarding on-field coaching decisions. However, I believe he has done a tremendous job repairing damaged areas and brought new life to the program. I sometimes question X's and O's, but I truly think he and his staff "get it". They understand recruiting, the new landscape of college football and the advantages and disadvantages of running a program in Boulder.

4. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Hawk used the word "trauma" to describe the state of the program when he took it over - and there isn't a more accurate word to describe how things were. After 70-3, CU football was fragile and aimless. Barnett, in addition to not recruiting well and throwing gasoline on the scandal fire, had completely lost the ability to guide the team by the 4th quarter of the game in Ames in 2005.

Hawkins did the right thing - what McCartney did in 1982 - blow up the program and build it the right way, piece by piece, no matter what the cost. Hawkins integrity, enthusiasm, and insistence on doing things the right way with good kids make him the perfect guy for CU football. In a few years, CU will be a powerhouse, the stink of the scandal will be a memory, and Hawk will be the new Mac.

5. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I can't believe that not a single buff was invited to an all star game or the combine.

Looks like the Rabid Goldfish would have been better served coming out last year. Think Big George can play end in a 3-4?

6. buffwings

I do like DH and think he is a great rep for the program. Recruiting is up and so is local support. Now if he can just start putting up those Boise St type win records the Buffs will be back to 90s form!

7. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Hypo is not a plug the middle and hold of 3 guys DT like you need in the 3-4. He is very quick, has excellent mobility laterally for his size and uses his hands very well to fend of blockers.

I can see Hypo being very successfull in the 3-4 but not at the nose, with his skills and physical ability I can see him being very effective at DE in a 3-4.

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Absurd that he wasn't even invited to the combine or any all-star game. Same for Nicholas. DTs are a scarce commodity and these two might not be prototypes, but they can play.

I hope big George can play DE in a 3-4 and I think he can. I want to be able to wear my rabid goldfish T to Bronco games next year. (Or maybe buy a new orange and blue model?? :cool:)

9. BuckinFuffs

BuckinFuffs Active Member

you gotta believe... glad we got some positive news coming out of the Post rather than the **** we usually get from them and 9News..

10. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Funny comments by some Post readers. Seriously, last time I checked CSU had one 2009 verbal from a Colorado kid. One.

Might as well rename the school Cow State University and abandon all pretense.

11. Highflyer

That exactly what I was getting at. I think he could be a great DE in the 3-4 or could play DT in a 4-3.

12. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

When you guys are talking DE in a 3-4 you are really talking about a 5-technique tackle, right? If so, I see George being a Leonard Renfroe type in that respect. Usually looking for a rangier taller DT 6'4 or 6'5 280-300 but I think he could be effective. The real DE equivalent in a 3-4 is the rush linebacker ala Ronnie Woolfork or Chad Brown. Those guys generally play out either stand-up or hand-down at a 7-technique or wider and must be able to contain as well as rush.

13. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

There's going to be marked improvement next year over what we saw this year," McCartney said. "I'm not talking about a hint of improvement. I'm talking about marked improvement. Because they've laid a solid foundation."

This year is going to make Hawkins or break him at CU, I don't see fans cutting him anymore slack. Four years is alot of time. I hope McCartney is right, but I still have doubts about the QB situation. If Cody starts, I'm sorry, but we are right back in last year.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  14. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

We are headed in the right direction.

15. Highflyer

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about guys on Pitts roster or SD like Nick Eason (yes the one the broncos drafted years ago), Aaron Smith (taller than TRGF but about the same weight) Igor Olshansky that are of similar size. George is probably looked at as being a little short at 6-1 by the scouts but I think he could play that spot. I wasn't refering to the Alfred (college days), Joey Porter Rush OLB/Ends.

16. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I got ya'. More of a Brett Kiesel type, right?

17. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I take this article for what it is: A kiss and make-up for the Henderson article, timed to placate the CU fans.

Hate to be a sceptic, but the post never writes this if they didn't put their foot in dog dookie earlier in the month.

It would have meant more if Henderson wrote it.

18. buffwings

Henderson is a bucket of turds!! :sad2:

19. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

It's actually Cow Sh*t University.:thumbsup:

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Colostomy state.