What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
yzytazen.jpg

Good luck, Nick

I am not comfortable with going into the season with just Wood as the only viable option. Wood is still unproven. Hopefully Dillon can improve a lot during the summer or Sefo can make a claim for the starting job. This is not good. Maybe we can get Bigbang to call Nick to change his mind.

EDIT: Original post a little harsh. What I was trying to say is our QB situation is tenuous with or without Hirschman. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
He had Ivy league opportunities coming out of HS, that might be a level that would suit his talents and it would be great if he could add to his CU degree with an Ivy grad degree.

Good luck to Nick. Wish him the best. I understand his decision. I am not happy with the QB situation. Hopefully Coach Mac brings in a transfer that can play right away.

Not a big surprise here as the Buffs had a lot of players at this position. Good Luck in the Ivy League Nick!

He had Ivy league opportunities coming out of HS, that might be a level that would suit his talents and it would be great if he could add to his CU degree with an Ivy grad degree.

that would be a very forward looking option. chance to toss the rock en vivo and supplement his credentials for the future.

i think Nick's only problem is that Buff fans have been looking for a QB savior for far too long. expectations we dump on guys is too much and we have not had any constant program development at the position since when? you name back to back CU QB's that were program people and not juco that have led CU to success? you have to go way back...maybe to Mac. Kordell and Koy? Barney had Moschetti (Neu guy) and Pez...even Hodge had more success than anyone Barney recruited as a FR.....we have sucked at QB for far too long. part of that is our own fault. Sam Bradford was a 3 star guy. we've had 3 star guys out the wazoo. plus, you have to block people...also part of our problem.

only the best to Nick. there are worse things than spending part of your young life in Boulder Colorado.

Last edited:
Sigh.

Well...you never want to lose your most experienced QB (well...I guess that's probably Webb...but we've lost him too, haven't we?).

But, looking on the bright side, Wood is finally going to get what he's always wanted. What he left Texas for. This is his team (at least for a while). He's not going to be pulled for some other QB off the bench after making a bad throw or two. There's no kidding around in practice that maybe all the work he's putting in will be wasted riding the pine, etc. etc.
We are going to get a chance to see what this kid can do...and he's going to get a very fair opportunity to show us. When was the last time a CU QB really knew that for sure?

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid when I say this (obviously) but maybe it will work out to our advantage in the end (if the kid can stay healthy. If he goes down...we are in some real trouble...).

But with our O-Line, what's to worry about? Oh...wait... (haha...)

Good luck Nick...and Connor...make the most of this opportunity! You have all the tools...

You're bagging on this kid for graduating early and continuing his education at the graduate level, possibly at an Ivy League school? Kid made a pretty reasonable decision, iyam.

Losing battle, you're arguing with an idiot on this one.

Nick can see pretty clearly that his future as a player isn't in Boulder. Wood looks to be stepping up, Dillon is struggling but talented, Sefu is on the way in.

I would imagine that if he had a significant role in the future here M2 would have put a pretty heavy push on him to stay but we get no indication that that happened. Instead we got some comments about "players leaving" that didn't carry much sentiment that he wished they weren't.

Can't blame a kid for going someplace that gives him a much better chance to play and to meet his educational goals (he is after all a college student.) He isn't going to play in the NFL, I salute him for taking charge of his life and doing what's right for him.

brady was the backup to Brian Griese who won a share of the national championship. brady started every game of his jr and sr year....how is that getting screwed by his coaches?

griese was no great success with the Broncos...but he did earn a NFL paycheck for a while. and some problems off-field as i recall. wasn't exactly like the coaches were choosing him less than brady.

then drew henson was in the mix.

that would be a very forward looking option. chance to toss the rock en vivo and supplement his credentials for the future.

i think Nick's only problem is that Buff fans have been looking for a QB savior for far too long. expectations we dump on guys is too much and we have not had any constant program development at the position since when? you name back to back CU QB's that were program people and not juco that have led CU to success? you have to go way back...maybe to Mac. Kordell and Koy? Barney had Moschetti (Neu guy) and Pez...even Hodge had more success than anyone Barney recruited as a FR.....we have sucked at QB for far too long. part of that is our own fault. Sam Bradford was a 3 star guy. we've had 3 star guys out the wazoo. plus, you have to block people...also part of our problem.

only the best to Nick. there are worse things than spending part of your young life in Boulder Colorado.

Why overlook Klatt? He had a very decent arm and a shot in the League and if it wasn't for Barney's stupidity in handling him (pulling his RS for 6 plays in a rout of Baylor; keeping him in during routs by Miami and UT, thus subjecting him to poundings and concussions) and Watson's poor coaching as OC, he may have had a decent career as an NFL back-up or even occasional starter with Detroit, pre-Sanford.

We can NOW overlook him because of his mouth and ego, but he was a darned good QB for the Buffs.

i don't overlook Klatt. i really liked Joel as a QB, especially before he got hurt. but he was a walk-on out of baseball was he not?.

my point is the same: two straight CU program QB's with success....when?

Last edited:
Joel Klatt could have been a career backup in the NFL? Now I have heard it all.Klatt should be thankful to Barnett/Watson every single day.

My God, Klatt in the NFL lol. Hirsch is gone, no matter the reason. Give him thanks for his efforts and leave it be.

brady was the backup to Brian Griese who won a share of the national championship. brady started every game of his jr and sr year....how is that getting screwed by his coaches?

griese was no great success with the Broncos...but he did earn a NFL paycheck for a while. and some problems off-field as i recall. wasn't exactly like the coaches were choosing him less than brady.

then drew henson was in the mix.

From Wikipedia:

When he enrolled at Michigan, Brady was seventh on the depth chart and had an intense struggle to get some playing time. At one point, Brady hired a sports psychologist to help him cope with frustration and anxiety and even considered transferring to Cal.[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][1

Since my spouse is from Boston, I follow the Pats a bit more closely than is warranted, and there's an old joke among Pats' fans that the only guy who could keep Brady off the field, was Lloyd Carr (UM HC). Brady being on the field for UM was much more a function of the UM QBs coach than any great love from Carr, yet Brady stuck it out, even to his own detriment: he was a 6th rd. NFL draft choice.

But the rest is history for him, since he again had the fortitude to "stick it out" with the Pats.
[/SUP]

Nick Hirschman would be missed. One of my favorite players, smart kid, loved by his team-mates. I don't blame him for wanting to transfer. Football is not everything, education should be the number one priority.

Joel Klatt could have been a career backup in the NFL? Now I have heard it all.Klatt should be thankful to Barnett/Watson every single day.

Worked for Kubiak, who didn't have the wing Klatt did!

Klatt had an NFL arm and retired due to the effects of concussions, the most damaging of which came from a vicious hit late during that UT 70-3 debacle. Why he was even in the game at that point is highly questionable.

Stop be-clowning yourself denigrating his on-field achievements as a Buff, because of his now stupid commentary
/career as a media guy.

My God, Klatt in the NFL lol. Hirsch is gone, no matter the reason. Give him thanks for his efforts and leave it be.

Sorry, for me "quit" is "quit".

He could have started whatever grad school education he wanted at CU, unless it was in "Industrial Psychology".

I hear ya on quit but I'm not close enough to the situation to know that for sure. It does seem like some things are coming tho. The Klatt in the NFL thing, sorry man, just don't see it. I must have been watching a different game all these years.

Average arm, average athleticism, average size, average record as a starter. Those guys don't stick around the NFL very long.

Good luck to Nick.When someone thinks its time to move on,its probably time to move on.

If Klatt was good enough to play in the NFL he would have played in the NFL.He was good enough to get a look,as Sackman said,just ask him.

From Wikipedia:

When he enrolled at Michigan, Brady was seventh on the depth chart and had an intense struggle to get some playing time. At one point, Brady hired a sports psychologist to help him cope with frustration and anxiety and even considered transferring to Cal.[SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][1

Since my spouse is from Boston, I follow the Pats a bit more closely than is warranted, and there's an old joke among Pats' fans that the only guy who could keep Brady off the field, was Lloyd Carr (UM HC). Brady being on the field for UM was much more a function of the UM QBs coach than any great love from Carr, yet Brady stuck it out, even to his own detriment: he was a 6th rd. NFL draft choice.

But the rest is history for him, since he again had the fortitude to "stick it out" with the Pats.
[/SUP]

not sure what your point is here, but i will defend what i posted since some people might assume what you have posted refutes it....in error.

also from wikipedia:

Brady played college football for, and graduated from, the University of Michigan.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP] He played for theMichigan Wolverines football team. He was a backup quarterback for his first two years, while teammate and future NFL quarterback Brian Griese led the 1997 Wolverines to an undefeated season capped by a victory in the Rose Bowl and a share of the national championship.

Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson,[SUP][14][/SUP] ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back