What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hirsh didn't have a future in the pros ahead of him. He didn't even have a future of starting at CU ahead of him. He's parlaying CFB into a free grad degree. Keyword: free. Already proving to be a wise businessman.

No problem with his choice, it's his life. I'm sure he talked with people close to him and he made an adult decision. Best of luck to him.

Maybe you and everybody else here who spouts off" He can get an Ivy League schollie") are the "dense" ones?

Ivies do not give athletic schollies:

"Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Ivy League coaches can, however, help student-athletes gain acceptance with academic qualifications that are much lower than the average applicant. It is important to note that this preferential treatment through the admissions process is not given to all athletes but only to those who a coach is seriously recruiting"

Read more: Ask Coach Taylor - Do Ivy League Schools Offer Athletic Scholarships? - NCSA Athletic Recruiting Blog http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009...ls-offer-athletic-scholarships/#ixzz2RToEWyJC

It's semantics. In reality, nearly everybody qualifies for some kind of need based assistance. Princeton doesn't want to miss out on the next Bill Bradley or Hobie Baker because the kid can't afford the tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is the exact type of attitude that has put CU in the cellar. Selfish, self centered play. First of all he was a co #1. He obviously has no swagger or confidence. I want a QB who thinks he is gonna beat everyone out. I want a guy who will push themselves, not quit when things are not going your way. I liked him and wish him the best of luck but this is the exact type of attitude we have to eradicate in Boulder.

Glad to know that you're privy to his thoughts. That's a neat trick.

I suspect he was thinking about transferring ever since the coaching change. He honored the coach and AD's request to wait until spring practice was concluded. If he was the clear starter, he'd stay. If not, he has other options. This really isn't as horrible as people are making it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is the exact type of attitude that has put CU in the cellar. Selfish, self centered play. First of all he was a co #1. He obviously has no swagger or confidence. I want a QB who thinks he is gonna beat everyone out. I want a guy who will push themselves, not quit when things are not going your way. I liked him and wish him the best of luck but this is the exact type of attitude we have to eradicate in Boulder.

Wood an Webb left Texas and Kansas when it appeared they weren't going to be the #1 QB at those schools - are they "selfish, self-centered quitters" too? Or does it only count if they leave CU?

Nick doesn't owe us anything. He suffered through possibly the worst 3 year period in the history of Colorado Football. A stretch that was caused in large part by administrative and organizational incompetency and weakness. He represented CU, his family and his teammates with class and respect. If he wants to go somewhere and actually play while working towards a graduate degree, we should wish him well. Good luck to Nick. Go to law school and get some experience and call me!

I wish Nick all the BEST; all this talk about getting a transfer from other BCS colleges is BS; I rather talk Nick in to staying because he wanted to be a Buff from the beginning then wasting our time with others who want to transfer in. I rather give the QBs on the roster a chance because they wanted to be Buff; and recruit a JC or HS for next year.

Last edited:
I agree with others. Hirschman did what he was aked. He graduated and has other opportunities. Good luck to him.

Maybe you and everybody else here who spouts off" He can get an Ivy League schollie") are the "dense" ones?

Ivies do not give athletic schollies:

"Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Ivy League coaches can, however, help student-athletes gain acceptance with academic qualifications that are much lower than the average applicant. It is important to note that this preferential treatment through the admissions process is not given to all athletes but only to those who a coach is seriously recruiting"

Read more: Ask Coach Taylor - Do Ivy League Schools Offer Athletic Scholarships? - NCSA Athletic Recruiting Blog http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009...ls-offer-athletic-scholarships/#ixzz2RToEWyJC
Ever heard of the term "endowment." Harvard, Yale, etc have several billions in endowments.

All I can say is that I wish him well. He got a CU degree, represented the University well, and his hard work gives him the opportunity to go get a grad degree and continue to pursue his dream of playing college football as a starter somewhere. Sounds like a damn smart kid that has his head screwed on straight. Good luck Hirsch and I will look forward to following you over the next 2 years.

Transferred to Akron.

Not quite an Ivy but he should be able to compete for playing time there. Can't imagine the culture shock going from Boulder CO to Akron OH but it's his life.

Good luck to Nick.

Oof, Los Gatos to Boulder to Akron? Gotta say I'm pretty surprised, the kid was one play away from starting in the Pac 12 and he gave it up to start (I assume) at Akron? Didn't see that coming.

I don't know if he is going to get a guaranteed starting position at Akron. No idea who their QB is but it is not Div 3. He's going to have to earn it just the same especially given his average performance at CU to date. It is quite surprising he would give up CU at this juncture b/c he was tied for 1st on the depth chart in order to go to Akron and compete for a job there.

I think there is more to this story than we know about. Maybe he had a falling out with HCMM or another coach (Lindgren?) I don't know but it is hard to explain this move on the facts we have at the moment.

Like others have said I do wish him luck and hope he does win the starting job and represents well.

I don't know if he is going to get a guaranteed starting position at Akron. No idea who their QB is but it is not Div 3. He's going to have to earn it just the same especially given his average performance at CU to date. It is quite surprising he would give up CU at this juncture b/c he was tied for 1st on the depth chart in order to go to Akron and compete for a job there.

I think there is more to this story than we know about. Maybe he had a falling out with HCMM or another coach (Lindgren?) I don't know but it is hard to explain this move on the facts we have at the moment.

Like others have said I do wish him luck and hope he does win the starting job and represents well.

They were a CU-esque 1-11 last year, their first year under Terry Bowden and also had consecutive 1-11 seasons before that. Maybe Nick saw promise in playing under two Bowdens (Terry and Jeff) and the team also has Chuck Amato as DC so there are names there who could likely recruit. In a situation like this though they are probably looking for a veteran QB to help them along on their rebuilding path and Nick has major conference experience at the position so they would have reason to be interested. I am giving Nick the benefit of the doubt and wish him well.

I think some people are over thinking this. Put yourself in his shoes. He graduated and was in a situation where he probably felt he wasn't going to win a starting job. He probably loves football and knows he has limited time left, and had the opportunity to go someplace and theoretically be handed the starting job (this I don't know.)

this could be his only chance to play the game he loves before entering the cold real world, why not go for Akron and see what you can do? He'll be the big man on campus for a while....

fyi here is their schedule: http://www.gozips.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule

I think some people are over thinking this. Put yourself in his shoes. He graduated and was in a situation where he probably felt he wasn't going to win a starting job. He probably loves football and knows he has limited time left, and had the opportunity to go someplace and theoretically be handed the starting job (this I don't know.)

this could be his only chance to play the game he loves before entering the cold real world, why not go for Akron and see what you can do? He'll be the big man on campus for a while....

fyi here is their schedule: http://www.gozips.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule

Unless he was guaranteed to be the starter (which I can't see any coach offering) then this just surprises me. Our backup QB is going to play this year at some point and I didn't get the sense he was WAY behind Wood anyway. He had a very good shot of playing this year. I sort of assumed his decision to transfer was in large part an education decision, but not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back