1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick Hirschman

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by bigbang, Mar 19, 2011.

1. bigbang

bigbang Member

I read that he went 7 for 13 77 yards 1 TD to Canty in the first scrimage. Good to see him progressing, adds depth to the position, and should be allowed to compete with Hasen for starting QB spot. I Know Hansen is the favourite, but you never know.

I went ahead and edited the thread title. The typos were driving me crazy. -Signed, Buffnik's Growing OCD

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Not exactly the stuff of legend.

3. bigbang

bigbang Member

You have to start from somewhere, Hansen didn't exactly put up stuff of legends last year either.

4. DBT

Hey, I hope Nick blossoms into a star. The early results seem to indicate that there is no contest at this point. Hansen looks to be the man.

5. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Lets see how well Tyler takes care of the ball this season, which will be emphasized this season add the fact that they are looking at a transfer QB and signed a juco doesnt sound like a vote of confidence to me.

6. DBT

Well, TH will be a senior and we didn't have a lot of depth. Bringing in a couple of guys was necessary.

7. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

The transfer will be a wr.

8. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got the impression that he wanted to play QB that is why he is transferring.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The new Scout article said that CU is recruiting him as a wide receiver. I linked it in his profile thread yesterday.

10. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks nik, just found his profile page.

11. bigbang

bigbang Member

Competition is far from over, TH being the man is nothing to proud of at this point. His performance from last year is nothing special, needs to improve , i hope the new staff can help him get better.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

It's pretty rare for a team to get through a season with just one QB. I think that TH is going to make major improvements this year with better coaching and a cohesive offense with a running game to help him out.

That said even if Nick doesn't step up and take the starting job he will likely be a needed and important part of the team byfore the season is over.

We also have to look at Tyler being a senior. The following year having a guy with some quality experience in the program will make a major difference. I think Nick has the tools, they just need to develop. If he is progressing now it will do nothing but help the team down the road regardless of who starts the season on the field.

13. DBT

I agree with everything you said except that "it's pretty rare for a team to get through a season with just one QB." I'd say that is the rule, not the exception.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hirschman has a ways to go IMO. He was a lot more raw coming out of HS than most Buffs fans wanted to admit.

15. DBT

I don't think most Buff fans know enough to have an educated opinion. Most of us go by what we hear or read in the news or on a message board. You put a lot of time and effort into going to the practices, etc. Most of us do not. I think, a lot of times, fan's opinions have no basis in fact.

16. bigbang

bigbang Member

But 7-13 77 yards 1 TD is pretty good numbers for the first scrimage.

17. Buffnik

:nod:

I've said this in other posts, but I may as well repeat it here. Hirschman is making major changes to his throwing motion while also fixing some footwork issues and learning a new offense this spring. Fortunately, he's a really smart dude with a good work ethic and he should be able to handle a lot being thrown at him. I expect him to come out the other end and look good in fall camp. But this is Hansen's year.

18. bigbang

bigbang Member

I will pay more attention to Hirshman at the spring game, because he is the future, possibly next year starter. And who knows if Hansen has another stinker like the one at Cal or Missouri. Hirshman should be ready to step in at anytime.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  19. Highlander27

Highlander27 Well-Known Member

When watching Hirschman as a HS player, he showed a great ability to read defenses and progress through his targets and distribute the ball. My only real issue with him was his athletic ability. If he can get better with his footwork, get quicker, he's got a good chance to do some solid things in a WC style of offense.

Considering he has basically zero experience, completed over 50% of his passes and threw for a TD and zero INT's, i'd consider his first spring stats a positive for him and the Buffs. Good job Nick, we'll need you ready should things not work out with Tyler.

20. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i am glad that hansen is separating himself from the others-- he's a senior, returning starter. the others are raw and young. if the competition were closer, it would be very worrisome. i hope th has a monster year and he stays healthy and that the younger guys have a chance to watch, learn, and develop now that they have actual coaching to help them.

21. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Who knew Hirschman's pops was an AllBuffs member? Yes, I know he spelled his own last name wrong in thread title, but it's only to try to throw us off the scent.

Welcome Mr. Hirschman!

22. bigbang

bigbang Member

Just hope not to see another stinker from Hansen, we all remember the Missouri game. The so called Junior making bone head plays. Senior or no Senior, the best player should play.

23. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

And as long as Hirschman doesn't actually have to play, he will always be the best player in some eyes.

The backup QB is always the most popular player in town...

24. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

English?

25. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The best QB should play, no doubt about it. But I also hope the musical chairs approach to the QB position died out with the last coaching staff. Find your guy and stick with him. The waffling of the former coaching staff left us with a situation where the QB was playing for his job from week to week, or at least it seemed like it. That is not the way to get your starting QB comfortable in the offense and it is not the way you instill confidence in your team.

26. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Hansen was far from being the problem against CAL. CU rushed for 1.8 yards an attempt and Hansen was under pressure the whole game. Ditto for Missouri (which Hawkins played half of the game)...Hansen was not a superstar but CU came up short a lot of places in addition to QB.

27. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

What about when Cody was the backup?

28. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

The Queen's English. Well done, lad!

29. bigbang

bigbang Member

Right but Hansen play got to improve.

30. Buffnik

He has improved a lot every year. Now he's got better coaching and an offensive philosophy/identity. I'd expect him to take another big step forward.