What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Kasa

Has anyone heard if Nick will get a medical "red shirt" for 2009?

I asked Kyle Ringo about it and he didn't think it was going to happen. I believe that you can't play in more than 25% of the games and Kasa played in 5 of the 12. When Miller went down with the injury last year, the Big 12 made an exception and granted the exception because he went down in the first part of Game 4. It's not likely they'll make an exception for a guy who played in a 5th game.

I think after he tweaked his knee at the beginning of the year he should have been kept out.

I never whinned about him not playing early. I always think it is better for kids to redshirt, no matter how talented. The year to practice and add size is huge to development. I understand times when lack of depth forces you to play someone early, but I would prefer most / all freshman red shirting.

I wanted the best players on the field at all times. A lot of time I didn't see that. When Kasa was playing it at least made Hawkins look sane.

I am one who prefers that kids redshirt for a year to get physically and mentally prepared for the college game. It also gives them a chance to get squared away in the classroom and as students in general.

That said it has to be done working with the kid, not just automatically declaring that you are going to do it.

Kasa was a highly enough rated kid that early playing time may have legitimately been part of his deal in coming to CU. It also may turn out that if he develops to his potential he may not be interested in sticking around a college program for five years. If he is looking at early entry into the NFL then saving a year of eligibility doesn't do you much good. An arguement can be made based on his preseason injury but nobody could have guessed that he would have gotten sick later in the year.

I am hoping that he is able to come back next year fully healthy and ready to go. If he does he could turn into a real playmaker for us early, be the kind of player who can win you some games on individual plays.

Just because a kid redshirts with NFL ability doesn't mean he will be here for 5 years. They can leave after their RS soph year. Stud comes in, grows, learns, gets ready academically his frosh year and RS. Plays RS fresh year and RS soph year and can enter the draft if he has the talent.

Like you said early PT may have been part of his deal, we don't know for sure. In any event I would have preferred the RS.

I was able to find the rules for a "Medical Hardship Waiver". I'd be shocked if Kasa (or Scott) qualified since they both played in 5 games. But it does sound promising that Max could get a 6th year granted (since he missed 2 years due to injury).

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(b) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

(c) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

I'm sure the staff and medical professionals discussed all of the various scenarios with Nick and left the decision up to him.

Back