What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No Assistants to be Replaced. What is going on? What happened to Bohn's comromise?

buffs04

Hawkins told the Daily Camera today that he would not be replacing any assistants unless they left to pursue other opportunities on their own accord.

This guy is either more delusional than I originally imagined or he simply does not care about winning football games.

How can Riddle not be replaced when we, once again, were one of the absolute worst teams in the country in virtually every aspect of special teams? Kickoff returns were terrible and punt returns might have been even worse - even otherwise heady players like McKnight were making terrible decisions in the Nebraska game with regards to fielding balls at the 3 yard line that could have been allowed to go into the end zone. Just as troubling, coverage, particularly punt coverage, was about as bad as it could be. Then... there's the kicking game. I don't think I even need to go into detail there. I will note, however, that at some point well into the 2008 season, our FG conversion rate was the worst in the nation by ~15%. 15%!

Collins, from what I understand, is not much better.

The offensive line's struggles are well documented, but some appear to think that continuity at OL coach is more important at this point than competence, so I will defer on that one.

Hagan, while an above average recruiter, has been unimpressive when it comes to his actual coaching responsibilities. Say what you want about Stewart, but our rushing production is straight-up terrible. Bottom five in the country. Some of this falls on the OL but I really don't Hagan is getting it done and his handling of DS was questionable, to put it kindly. Sumler has been unspectacular and Lockridge, for some unknown reason, doesn't play much at all.

Cabral and Brown are great. Kiesau hasn't demonstrated yet that he is really a problem. Bandison appears to have improved his young players' performance this year, so I don't have much of a problem with him staying for the time being.

Bottom line: we have two ACs on our entire staff who we can really point to and say, without reservation, are good or great coaches. We have at least many who are flat-out terrible.

I don't want to see all or even most of them replaced but for Riddle and Collins to stay on - particularly Riddle - is indefensible.

How can this staff - after four years of failing miserably to meet expectations - be kept completely in tact?

What exactly does Mike Bohn do at this university besides fundraise? He doesn't appear to have any authority whatsoever when it comes to the football program, which is the only sport at CU that matters to large numbers of fans in the final analysis. Bohn made it pretty clear that if Hawkins was not to be let go, then there would be staff changes. That hasn't happened, at all.

There should have been an HC change at the end of the season. There wasn't. But for there not to be any AC changes, as they come entirely without the baggage that an HC change does, is completely inexcusable.

Hawkins either doesn't get it or he doesn't care.

Last edited:
Re: No Assistants to be Replaced. What is going on? What happened to Bohn's comromi

I was thinking this was Hawk double-speak maybe?
That Riddle will coach something like tight ends -- which he may be competent at -- and give up special teams to someone who could do something with it?
Maybe they aren't firing anyone, but they will try new spots?

This is not good news. Not good at all.

Re: No Assistants to be Replaced. What is going on? What happened to Bohn's comromi

I'm sick of this entire regime, Benson,distefano,bohn,hawk and all his boise bozo's.

Clueless circle jerk.

Maybe he is playing CYA that hagan and maybe someone else that is old scholl will leave and he doesnt want the blame for it.

I'm sick of this entire regime, Benson,distefano,bohn,hawk and all his boise bozo's.

Clueless circle jerk.
You are being way too negative...put on a happy face, and all will be right in the world. Maybe even the mass exodus of positive Allbuff fans will reverse itself, and we will all be one happy family again.

we're always having other schools try and poach our ahead-of-the-curve assistants, we've been told....this time it's Murray State and Portland State.

Kiesau wasn't on the short list I read. They are interviewing two guys and he wasn't either of them.

Talkins is nuts if he doesn't think he needs new blood on the staff.. .

Talkins is nuts if he doesn't think he needs new blood on the staff.. .

Well cashew dan thinks the rest of the pecans are doing a great job. :smile2:

Bohn has no leverage.

1. Hawk knows he's here to stay, he has no reason to make changes.

2. As has been pointed out correctly, Hawks contract gives him sole authority over coaching changes.

Bohn can't do ****.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Hawkins has been saying that he intends to keep plugging along, doing what he does, ad nauseum. Did you think he was lying? Damn, he's been telling us all along what the deal is, why some of you choose to ignore him and make **** up in your own heads is beyond me--I think you're all going to drive yourselves crazy.

The reality is that Hawk will be the coach in 2010. The only assistant changes will come about if coaches leave for other positions. There's no grand plan to revamp the staff, no conspiracy to bring in a new coordinator from those to be fired in the coming weeks. Accept it or stock up on blood pressure meds.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Hawkins has been saying that he intends to keep plugging along, doing what he does, ad nauseum. Did you think he was lying? Damn, he's been telling us all along what the deal is, why some of you choose to ignore him and make **** up in your own heads is beyond me--I think you're all going to drive yourselves crazy.

The reality is that Hawk will be the coach in 2010. The only assistant changes will come about if coaches leave for other positions. There's no grand plan to revamp the staff, no conspiracy to bring in a new coordinator from those to be fired in the coming weeks. Accept it or stock up on blood pressure meds.

Don't forget to add in that there's no great compromise or 'deal'. We're stuck with the same pile of **** we've had for the last 4 years thanks to Bohn's negotiating skills.

What a ****in gong show :dbt:

I'm sure he wouldn't announce firings to the CAMERA, nor would he first annouce intent for changes there, either. 'Tis the season for changes, though. I'm not sure how these assistants' CU Football accomplishments can look particularly attractive to any other program.

Let's be honest here guys. There is no chance of Hawk ocnvincing any ocach better than the ones we have already to come here when EVERYONE knows next year is Dan's last. Nobody wants that on their resume.

How it took so many of you until this season to tell that something wasn't right is puzzling. We're in a lot of crap as a program, and there's no signs of improvement.

Let's be honest here guys. There is no chance of Hawk ocnvincing any ocach better than the ones we have already to come here when EVERYONE knows next year is Dan's last. Nobody wants that on their resume.

That is exactly why he should have been fired. Thank you Benson for the circle jerk we have as a coaching staff

I wasn't a big fan of Hawkins' performance in 2008, either. I was ready for him to go after that year.

I remember posting here, though, and my opinion was certainly in the minority.

Not surprising at all. The sad thing is, Riddle makes a lot of money and he is completely incompetent. There is no accountability in Boulder.

The Daily camera article.... for those interested in the full story stated:

"Speaking of staff, Hawkins said he didn`t anticipate any changes in his assistant coaches, unless some of them choose to leave on their own volition. But nobody should have expected him to say anything different in that regard. If he makes any changes, it likely won`t happen for another month or so -- meaning the current staffers are needed to be out on the road recruiting.
Honestly? I`ll be surprised if the Buffs start spring ball with the same staff that took the field in the season finale against Nebraska. The gut feeling here is that there will be at least a couple of new faces when the Buffs hit the practice fields in mid-March."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13905810

Staff changes are a sensitive thing duing recruiting. Why don't you people chill out and let it work itself out? :thumbsup: I'd imagine there will be movement in its own time.

Staff changes are a sensitive thing duing recruiting. Why don't you people chill out and let it work itself out? :thumbsup: I'd imagine there will be movement in its own time.

Hmmmmm, so in essence you're saying "We'll see".

Pure speculation here: I think 3-9 seasons are slightly more sensitive to recruiting. :smile2:

Changing assistants won't save Danny's job. He's got one more year, then he's done.

Again, Hawk has full responsibility for evaluating his coaches per his contract. No one can force him to make any coaching changes. After four years, we all know Hawk's MO, he's an egotistical maniac that BELIEVES he and his staff are doing everything right. There will be NO coaching changes. This has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with Hawk's delusional attitude and a university president that neutered any power his AD may have had over Hawk.

I would have to think it would be hard to hire an exceptional defensive coordinator right now. Especially that Hawkins is basically on a 1 year contract. There clearly is an issue with Dan (which should be no surprise to all of us). Coordinators keep leaving the program. It is too bad he let Mike Hankwitz go. He has been successful at most programs and can recruit in Texas. I also have a bias as I am a fan of the 3/4 defensive alignment. The fact is that the defense will continue to struggle without standout lineman.
Do you guys really think Darian is a poor RB coach? The RB struggles have to do with the offensive line and when they put in Hansen they stacked the box.

I would have to think it would be hard to hire an exceptional defensive coordinator right now. Especially that Hawkins is basically on a 1 year contract. There clearly is an issue with Dan (which should be no surprise to all of us). Coordinators keep leaving the program. It is too bad he let Mike Hankwitz go. He has been successful at most programs and can recruit in Texas. I also have a bias as I am a fan of the 3/4 defensive alignment. The fact is that the defense will continue to struggle without standout lineman.
Do you guys really think Darian is a poor RB coach? The RB struggles have to do with the offensive line and when they put in Hansen they stacked the box.
Not to mention that when they use a full back he is a decoy not a lead blocker. I believe our running scheme requires an outstanding line and passing game to succeed.

I don't necessarily think he's a bad coach but I don't think he's great either.

I am not sure that it is fair to say that other teams stacked the box when Hansen started playing QB for us. His arm is certainly more of a threat than Cody's downfield.

Back