What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No Buffs invited to the Combine

dcbuffman

The list of players invited to the NFL combine is out. No Buffs. Not Geer, not Brown, no one.

North Dakota State, Norfolk State, The Citidel, Colorado State and Stillman (Div. ll), among other dimly burning lights, had invitees.

It's true that CU didn't have many seniors this year. It's also true that Brad Jones made it to the league without a trip to the Combine. But, jeesh......

I'm not in any way excusing the fact that we've gone 8-16 over the past 2 seasons. But a lack of senior talent sure explains a lot.

please, get a real staff in Boulder
WTF does this have to do with anything? Come on! The Hawk bashing crap has just gotten too much to handle. This has everything to do with the death of recruiting after the "scandal" and not Hawkins.

WTF does this have to do with anything? Come on! The Hawk bashing crap has just gotten too much to handle. This has everything to do with the death of recruiting after the "scandal" and not Hawkins.

A better staff will do a better job promoting their draftable players. Here is a quote on an article done on Brad Jones after the draft:

"One of the big mysteries surrounding Jones is how he lasted until the seventh round of the draft. His father said he talked to various agents and found out that the coaching staff at Colorado was not promoting Brad as a draftable player. Brad was recruited by Gary Barnett, but Barnett quit under fire after Brad's second year and was replaced by former Boise State coach Dan Hawkins."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...ckers-adv13mw-_-sports-1350-words/?sports&nfl

And which of these seniors would you promote? If you were an NFL GM, which of them woul you enthusiastically spend a draft pick on?

Regarding Jones, what makes you think it wasn't his position coach who didn't see him as a draftable player?

No one's happy with Hawkins right now, but come on. Having 2 straight weak senior classes is not on him.

And which of these seniors would you promote? If you were an NFL GM, which of them woul you enthusiastically spend a draft pick on?

Regarding Jones, what makes you think it wasn't his position coach who didn't see him as a draftable player?

No one's happy with Hawkins right now, but come on. Having 2 straight weak senior classes is not on him.

Geer.

Mohler, Burney and Smart may not be draftable, but Mohler in particular deserved a look at one of the senior showcase games.

I didnt single out Hawkins (but the article did), which is why I said better "staff"...at least in terms of selling their players to NFL player personell.

These last classes obviously were not all world (questionable if they were all league) but player development has also been lacking under the current regime

Geer.

Mohler, Burney and Smart may not be draftable, but Mohler in particular deserved a look at one of the senior showcase games.

I didnt single out Hawkins (but the article did), which is why I said better "staff"...at least in terms of selling their players to NFL player personell.

These last classes obviously were not all world (questionable if they were all league) but player development has also been lacking under the current regime

Geer did get an opportunity at one of the post-season games. But we are talking about a TE who is under 6'3" tall and runs about a 4.9 forty.

As far as player development, the jury is still out. If the talent's not there, there isn't a whole lot a coach can do. I look at guys like Solder and Pericak who excelled in their first year at a new position. I look at guys like Jalil Brown who was a 4.9 Rivals Rating (this means off the radar of guys they even had considered a D1 prospect), but led the team in interceptions. I look at guys like Scotty McKnight. I just don't see the basis for the argument you are making unless you consider a guy a bust if he isn't All-Big 12 by his sophomore year.

Once again, I don't think Hawkins is doing a good job and I would have fired him after last season. I just don't see this as a valid criticism. My beef was won-loss record (with a team that did not do anything all that well based on the NCAA statistical rankings), poor handling of media/fans, and declining results in recruiting. I'm pretty much ok with our position coaching / player development.

Geer did get an opportunity at one of the post-season games. But we are talking about a TE who is under 6'3" tall and runs about a 4.9 forty.

As far as player development, the jury is still out. If the talent's not there, there isn't a whole lot a coach can do. I look at guys like Solder and Pericak who excelled in their first year at a new position. I look at guys like Jalil Brown who was a 4.9 Rivals Rating (this means off the radar of guys they even had considered a D1 prospect), but led the team in interceptions. I look at guys like Scotty McKnight. I just don't see the basis for the argument you are making unless you consider a guy a bust if he isn't All-Big 12 by his sophomore year.

Once again, I don't think Hawkins is doing a good job and I would have fired him after last season. I just don't see this as a valid criticism. My beef was won-loss record (with a team that did not do anything all that well based on the NCAA statistical rankings), poor handling of media/fans, and declining results in recruiting. I'm pretty much ok with our position coaching / player development.

Wow! You are not an NFL scout? How you don't have a job baffles me!

Wow! You are not an NFL scout? How you don't have a job baffles me!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68030&draftyear=2010&genpos=FB

And here's a photo of Riar standing next to Eric Lawson, who was listed on the Buffs 2009 roster as being 6'3":

610x.jpg

But I guess you know better.

I think Mohler would've been a pretty decent prospect if he had a better senior year.

The guy had a concussion early in the year and hardly ever saw the field again. The guy was a producer last year and we see much from him this year. It's not like our LB corp was stellar this year and the guy had good athleticism. Can't really second guess the coaches since I didn't see him in practice, but it was disappointing nonetheless to not see him out there (especially given all he had to do to qualify to play at CU).

Mohler

Was the concussion why Mohler didn't play much? I wondered why he disappeared. He seemed to be one of our best LBs last season, but this year was a lost year for him.

We didn't talk nearly enough about Mohler during the season. I have a lot of trust in Cabral and so do most Buff fans, so maybe that's why we didn't look at this more closely. In hindsight, it was strange and I wish I knew what went on with this. Prior to last spring's practices, I predicted Mohler would be our defensive MVP in 2009 (show you what I know).

Maybe I was overly high on him, but weren't most of you guys expecting a big senior year from him too?

17,000 posts and you don't have a clue

Still blaming Barnett, is this an attempt at sarcasm

Still blaming Barnett, is this an attempt at sarcasm
Get off it. I was and still am a huge GB fan. I'm just sick of you guys blaming Hawkins for every thing every chance you get. It is getting real old. The fact is that the scandal, which was absolutely NOT GB's fault led to good old Betsy Hoffman implementing stupid assed recruiting rules which killed recruiting for two or three years. The lack of depth from that is now showing up in our junior and senior classes. Only three graduating seniors this year were recruited in Hawkins' first class after he was hired about a six weeks before LOI day. So to blame Hawkins for CU not having any players invited to the combine is total bull**** and a total cheap shot. I'm not defending Hawkins here. I'm just sick of the whining.

Yeah I do wonder what happened to Mohler this year, because when he did get on the field he played pretty good. Since Cabral is his position coach I just can't question what he does and who he plays. Either way it just seemed like Shaun had a knack for making a big play, I hope he tests well in the weight room and on the pro day. Other than him I really don't know who could be a prospect above 7th round/UDFA status. Chappelle is way too small, Geer is small and slow, Burton maybe but he disappeared a lot during his career, Burney a lot of injuries and I don't know how big or fast he is, teams might like his versatility to play S and CB though.

The Hawkins apologist strikes again!
:finger2:

Hey, can't I be allowed to get sick of baseless cheap shots without being called an "appologist?" Really the cheap shots are getting old and getting called a "Hawkins applogist" is getting old. :smile:

SnowBuff is right. Geer is now on the list of tight ends invited to the Combine. I posted yesterday based on a list I saw on collegefootballnews.com. I checked again today and, sure enough, Geer is listed. Either I missed him yesterday or the list was revised.

In any event, that's good news.

Good for Geer, I suppose I should stop saying he's small and slow :sorry:. I hope he does well at the combine.

Back