1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more late night Pac-12 Network games

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by cmgoods, Jun 8, 2014.

1. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

[tweet]475748476970889217[/tweet]

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

we are the new noon time slot...book it

3. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

So unbelievably stupid.

4. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

5. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Damn. When I prepare myself for a full slate of Saturday game watching it's always good to have a late option for a quality west coast game. At least this means I'll have something to watch early while ESPN is trying to tempt me with a bunch of uninteresting Big Ten matchups.

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

At least the Pac-12 isn't trying out a 10am pacific time slot.

7. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Not a terrible move on the part of the league. Starting games at 8:00-9:00pm local time pretty much rules out taking kids to the game. Also means that you are finishing a game close to midnight on the WC, again not a lot of TV viewers going to stay up that late and only the insomniacs further east. PAC12 net wants more carriers east of the Pacific time zone.

The logical move to catch the casual fans who are watching late would be to repeat the leagues best game of the day in the late slot. You would have to be willing to have some flexibility but fans might start looking for it knowing that they are going to get the most exciting game of the day from the league.

8. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

Not sure about the earlier times but if the Pac-12 wants exposure on the East Coast, the absolute latest kickoff should be 6 pm local.

This crap of a 10 pm east coast kickoff just kills the conference exposure. Now no one really cares about a WSU vs Utah game but the marquee games need to be shown in the prime time on the EC.

9. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Woot...!

... purely from an east coast perspective

10. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Fantastic move for east coast exposure. Now there will at least be a chance someone else in the office will have seen a P12 game - too often, I'm the only one, because no one stays up for those 10 pm kick offs...

11. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

And there you have it.

You have to applaud the Pac-12 on this move, maybe they're finally starting to get it.

12. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Mtn time zone schools. Us and the Utes will be on 3 times this year.

13. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Wake up and tailgate

14. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Love it. I don't really have a problem with night games for the west coast teams, but the conference needs to increase exposure for the eastern time zones. Personally like early afternoon games at Folsom. One blackout night game a year is fine.

15. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Typical overreaction. we need LESS late night games, especially late in the season in the mountains... but not none

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This doesn't really bother me at all. Noon isn't ideal, but it's not awful, either. I can pretty easily get my ass down to Boulder by 8:00 AM for a morning tailgate. I'd rather have a noon game in November than a 8:00 PM game in November. The "ideal" start time is probably around 1:30, but Noon isn't terrible.

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Personally I can't think of a better way to increase east coast exposure than to schedule more games at the same time as the SEC, ACC and Big Integer.

18. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

2:00 pm Eastern: "hmmm, big SEC school is already obliterating directional school, B1G matchup is boring/not competitive, so it's between a mediocre ACC matchup and P12 game - I'll watch both for a while and stick to whichever one is more exciting."

10:00 Eastern: "hmmm, P12 game or 'go out' (< 30)/ go to bed (>30)."

At 2:00 pm, you'll pick up some casual viewers, at 10:00 pm you'll pick up zero casual viewers. Some is more than zero (remember, you get your dedicated viewers no matter what time you play).

50% of the country lives in the eastern time zone, and 30% in the central time zone. A small portion of 80% of the population is more viewers than a large portion of 20%.

19. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Love this move - especially since I now have the P12N! Hopefully these games make the P12 national feed.

20. SD Buff

SD Buff Club Member Club Member

Will still have plenty of late night games on Fox Sports 1 or ESPN. This just eliminates the late night PACN games like USC last year.

21. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

That does not ruled out late games on other networks. The ASU game is set for an 8 PM kickoff on ESPN.

22. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think you've got the right of it. Focuses the western region on the "big game" of that Saturday that our national broadcast channel is presenting at night in prime time, pleases the campuses by avoiding so many late games over the course of a season, and gives the Pac-12 better exposure in an earlier slot.

Best of both would be if there could also be a "Pac-12 Game of the Week" in Pacific primetime on PACN to make the network more valuable for service providers in other parts of the country. Saturday night at 11pm Eastern has value. Just look at what a valuable property SNL is for NBC.

23. SD Buff

Wilner was reading this board. This tweet minutes after our posts. :nod:

BTW --- how do you guys embed tweets in the posts? I am doing a workaround with a screen shot --- haven't figured out how to do it right. Do I paste the embed code somewhere?

[​IMG]

24. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

there is a number to every tweet in the address bar. take that number and put it inside [tweet ] [/tweet ] brackets (remove spaces).

25. SD Buff

Got it, thanks Darth

26. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Wilner needs to pony up the junta fee. No free rides!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  27. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

Well, you hope your game is not a dog **** blowout. ****, I will switch between 5 games at a time when CU is not playing.

The point is, some of these east coast ****s may watch the game even if a SEC game is on. None will watch when they are in bed for a ****ing 10 PM ECT kickoff. Period. The PAC and it's fans have to understand that or quit bitching about the east coast bias.

Of course those on the EC are biased. You chose to play your games in the middle of the night. WTF do you expect? You wanna be relevant? Show your teams when those EC ****s are awake.

A 5 pm kickoff in Colorado or the Pacific Time Zone still turns into a night game. 8 o'clock in the west... it still gets dark. Sure, it does not kick off in the dark but half of the game is played at night. It's sill a night game. And the EC is still awake. And that is what you want. Exposure.

28. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

Hardly anyone on the east coast gets the Pac-12 Network...so how does showing games that folks on west coast would already watch while those on the east can't watch help anything? I'm a football junkie. I want to watch every game and not have to choose between LSU v South Carolina and Oregon v UCLA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Well-Known Member

Jeebus christmas. I have never in my life encountered such a group of whiny little bitches. Wahh, recruiting sucks, wahhh, the games are on too early, wahh, the games are on too late, wahhh, I just crapped my adult diaper, wahhh, there are too many games on tv at once.

This is a great move btw.

unionbuff likes this.
  30. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Good. More games for my kids.