What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No more late night Pac-12 Network games

Jeebus christmas. I have never in my life encountered such a group of whiny little bitches. Wahh, recruiting sucks, wahhh, the games are on too early, wahh, the games are on too late, wahhh, I just crapped my adult diaper, wahhh, there are too many games on tv at once.

This is a great move btw.

Quit whining.

Hardly anyone on the east coast gets the Pac-12 Network...so how does showing games that folks on west coast would already watch while those on the east can't watch help anything? I'm a football junkie. I want to watch every game and not have to choose between LSU v South Carolina and Oregon v UCLA. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't true. I have 3 choices for the PAC12 if you include Dish here in a Florida. Any exposure is great. They love their football down here and you will get some new fans,especially when we start winning.

This isn't true. I have 3 choices for the PAC12 if you include Dish here in a Florida. Any exposure is great. They love their football down here and you will get some new fans,especially when we start winning.

He's got a good point seeing how DTV doesn't have the PAC 12 Network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Examples - Cox in Ohio, PA, and RI don't carry the P12 Network. Nor does Verizon FiOS, which is most of Tampa...and most Tampons are going to switch to Bright House just to get it.

Examples - Cox in Ohio, PA, and RI don't carry the P12 Network. Nor does Verizon FiOS, which is most of Tampa...and most Tampons are going to switch to Bright House just to get it.

I can't seem to find even too many bars in the DC area that have it.

The networks that don't carry PAC12 are the reason this is happening.

Game starts at 11:00pm est and anyone who might watch is too tired to worry about it. On the other hand put Stanford or USC or Oregon on at 2:00pm and people who can't get it might call their carrier asking why. Enough phone calls and the carrier pays some attention.

We all want to think of things locally. If we want the $$ then we have to do what it takes to compete for TV screens nationally and the majority of those screens are east of the Mississipi river.

Game starts at 11:00pm est and anyone who might watch is too tired to worry about it. On the other hand put Stanford or USC or Oregon on at 2:00pm and people who can't get it might call their carrier asking why. Enough phone calls and the carrier pays some attention.

We all want to think of things locally. If we want the $$ then we have to do what it takes to compete for TV screens nationally and the majority of those screens are east of the Mississipi river.
Ding, ding, ding

If you're watching college football on a Saturday afternoon, and the SEC and B1G games are snoozers, and you look at the ticker and see USC-Oregon is on, and it's close, you think "hey I want to watch that," and then try and find it. When you can't, you call your cable company to find out why...

This scenario never happens if that game kicks off at 10:00 pm EST.

Cox in NoVa/DC has P12 now. Cox actually has been rolling it out nationally - you have to subscribe to the sports tier 2 (so two sports subscriptions to actually get it), but you can get P12 in most of their markets now. (They (Cox & P12) mistakenly have not been doing any advertising at all around when they make it available in a new market. I just happened to notice I could get it one day when I was looking at my internet bill online. Lots of P12 alumni in the area - it gives them a reason to choose Cox over Verizon or Comcast - but not a single scrap of advertising...)

Ding, ding, ding

If you're watching college football on a Saturday afternoon, and the SEC and B1G games are snoozers, and you look at the ticker and see USC-Oregon is on, and it's close, you think "hey I want to watch that," and then try and find it. When you can't, you call your cable company to find out why...

Cox in NoVa/DC has P12 now. Cox actually has been rolling it out nationally - you have to subscribe to the sports tier 2 (so two sports subscriptions to actually get it), but you can get P12 in most of their markets now. (They (Cox & P12) mistakenly have not been doing any advertising at all around when they make it available in a new market. I just happened to notice I could get it one day when I was looking at my internet bill online. Lots of P12 alumni in the area - it gives them a reason to choose Cox over Verizon or Comcast - but not a single scrap of advertising...)
I get the train of thought, but what are the chances of a marquee game such as USC-Oregon not being picked up by one of the national networks before the Pac 12 Network has it fall to them and their genius sneaky plan to have it on at 2pm ET comes to fruition? More realistically, that 2pm ET game is Utah vs WA St or Colorado vs Oregon St.

good point made by Mtn, refined by ski. During parts of my life when I both lived on the East coast and didn't have small kids, I relished the 10/11PM ET kickoffs for USC and Oregon games, but I was the kinda geek with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than watch college football, probably not part of the television viewing audience that brings in big advertising dollars.

I get the train of thought, but what are the chances of a marquee game such as USC-Oregon not being picked up by one of the national networks before the Pac 12 Network has it fall to them and their genius sneaky plan to have it on at 2pm ET comes to fruition? More realistically, that 2pm ET game is Utah vs WA St or Colorado vs Oregon St.

ok, you're right -- USC/Oregon is a prime-time game. Alternate example is Washington at Oregon where it's close at half time and the curious fan wants to tune in and see if a top 5 team is going lose a home game.

he Marquee games are not going to be on PAC12 but sometimes the marquee programs are. A game like Utah-Stanford could very easily end up on the PAC and if it on in the middle of the afternoon and ESPN is mentioning that an upset is brewing in SLC then you will have people go looking for it.

Same thing if you get a game with a spectacular individual effort. Get a PRich going for a 300+ yard recieving day or a QB getting national notice for throwing 5 TDs. All it takes is something to perk the interest of some potential viewers.

Combine this with days when the B1G and the SEC throw out low scoring, plodding games on their national time slot and you have a chance to interest viewers.

ok, you're right -- USC/Oregon is a prime-time game. Alternate example is Washington at Oregon where it's close at half time and the curious fan wants to tune in and see if a top 5 team is going lose a home game.

he Marquee games are not going to be on PAC12 but sometimes the marquee programs are. A game like Utah-Stanford could very easily end up on the PAC and if it on in the middle of the afternoon and ESPN is mentioning that an upset is brewing in SLC then you will have people go looking for it.

Same thing if you get a game with a spectacular individual effort. Get a PRich going for a 300+ yard recieving day or a QB getting national notice for throwing 5 TDs. All it takes is something to perk the interest of some potential viewers.

Combine this with days when the B1G and the SEC throw out low scoring, plodding games on their national time slot and you have a chance to interest viewers.
Both good points.

I'm on board with the change - I think it is a good idea. Just checking reality (which both of you did).

Also as I mentioned earlier my hope would be that they would decide to replay the "game of the day" in the late time slot starting at 9:00 or 10:00 pm.

Make this a to be announced replay of the days best PAC12 game. The people who are insomniacs enough to have stayed up and watched the late games before are likely to be the same people who would tune in to see what should be a good game late even if it is a replay.

You can get all the people who worked all day and know the scores (or don't) but want to see a good game.

good point made by Mtn, refined by ski. During parts of my life when I both lived on the East coast and didn't have small kids, I relished the 10/11PM ET kickoffs for USC and Oregon games, but I was the kinda geek with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than watch college football, probably not part of the television viewing audience that brings in big advertising dollars.

A) I was the same way on the east coast, looking forward to that late night marquee matchup.

2) I loathed being on the east coast when there WAS Pac-12 marquee matchup on at 3 (EST). The ABC commercial went a lot like this - "Saturday at 3, watch as the #24 Michigan Wolverines take on the up-and-coming Hoosiers of Indiana in a matchup that pits a Heisman hopeful against reinvigorated defense. For those of you I'm the western time zone outside of a 20 mile radius from the Colosseum and not farther than 40 miles from the incorporated limits of Los Angeles, you see the nation's number one ranked Oregon Ducks and their high flying offense as they march into Troy to take on the #3 USC Trojans."***

People (fans of west coast football) have been complaining about this for years and no one cares. What makes anyone think that an SEC fan would pay EXTRA to watch middling Pac-12 game?

***and btw, I lived in Norfolk, so I got that "other" game in that time slot that wasn't even advertised - 0-7 Duke vs 3-3 GT.

Back