1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a lot of OL commitments in the Pac-12

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Last night, I decided to check in on Arizona's class on the Rivals network and was surprised to see that of the 24 verbal commitments only 1 of them is an OL. So I decided to look around the conference. Surprisingly, no one seems to be emphasizing the trenches this cycle except for USC (which has depth issues there from the NCAA penalty). Usually 20-25% of your roster is made up of OLs. With the fast-break offenses, is the position becoming de-emphasized as a priority in early recruiting?

School
    CommitsOLs
    Arizona241
    Arizona State141
    Cal111
    Colorado132
    Oregon82
    Oregon State132
    Stanford161
    UCLA90
    USC72
    Utah112
    Washington81
    Washington State122

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

It would take some work and some speculation to determine but I wonder how many schools have guys committed who are listed as DL or TEs who will eventually end up on the OL.

With the growing use of the spread demands on offensive linement are changing. It used to be that you wanted a bunch of big, strong guys who nobody could move. Now you have to have guys who can move, who can make blocks in space, who can get to and stick with the faster defenders that teams are using to defend the spreads.

3. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Nice to see us tied for 1st in the Pac 12 for something, in recruiting no less :)

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

In a way, we actually have 3 OLs due to John Lisella grayshirting from the 2013 class.

5. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Stanford has a monster OL. They'll finish with 3 studs.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Since linemen take longer to develop, is it possible that schools wait longer to offer? Pure speculation on my part.

7. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Last couple years were bumper crops out west for OL, maybe fewer needed this cycle?