1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not looking for sunshine but please give me something positive

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by LaserDeathHawk, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

I am pretty seriously dispondant here. I can't imagine enough change between Sunday and Friday to make a difference. I can't see us stacking up well against any of the teams we play this year in our current condition.

It really feels like we got sold a bill of goods on this team. All the silence from the coach makes sense in light of how bad we really are. And if our talent level is anything like what we have been told then this is a pure coaching issue.

Someone please give me something to hold on to here. Where is the positive angle on any of this?

[video=youtube;G5uamDMoW4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5uamDMoW4o[/video]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

D Scott looked pretty good returning kickoffs. And Goodman made a long FG.

That's about it, IMO. I think the talent is there. The coaching is not. And it all starts at the top.

I'm with you. I have not been this down on CU football since the 70-3 debacle vs. UT. The Buffs looked bad in just about every phase of the game. And watching CSU's inexperienced DL dominate the Buffs OL made me a sad panda.

3. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

The defense made strides in the 2nd half and started to get more pressure in the backfield. 1st half was really really bad so it's tough not to improved, but they did much better shutting CSU down in the second half of play.

4. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i think the Buffs will play much better on friday.

5. The Guest

The Guest Guest

we don't live in lincoln??

6. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

The Outback tailgate before the game was even better than the Outback tailgate I went to last year. If we can just rate the tailgate, we have made huge strides forward.

Team wise....Speedy still has talent. Nice 44 yard catch by JUCO WR.

Looking forward to Toledo, can the coaches do any worse than the just did?

I think that is a positive.......

7. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Kerr is an extremely good DC and our offense had to change schemes in fall practice with a new OC and line coach. Not a good situation.

8. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

Here's what's keeping me from divorcing the Buffs: we've got more than just talent, we've got good kids. Everyone that's on the team wants to play for the buffs (although not for long if Hack keeps doin what he's doin), look what dudes like Mohler and Simmons did just to play here.

As much as I am done with Hack, I applaud what he did to rebuild the program. After Barnett, CU needed to hire a coach who would clean up the program. Now that we've accomplished that, CU needs to hire a coach who can prepare a team and call plays.

Compared to the end of the Barnett era, the cupboard isn't empty - we have some serious talent and even during the CU/CSU game, they did their best to win despite Hack's garbage playcalling & game prep. Deep pass to Simmons after he'd been practicing barley a week - that's positive. Big time kick from a guy who couldn't make a chip shot last year, that's positive. A stable of diverse runners - that's a great thing, if Hack decides to use them. Talented LBs - will only get better the more time Cabral coaches them.

Also, I'm actually willing to forget about the CU/CSU game for Toledo in hopes that what we needed was reps against another team at real-game-speed to get it figured out. We did look better in the 2nd half, and if we wouldn't have made Cody throw the ball 40 times, things may have been different. If we could treat Cody like Pittsburgh treated Big Ben in his rookie year (major emphasis on the running game and defense and only asking Ben to throw 10 times a game), we could actually have some success.

Hope that helps, it's pretty much all I'm workin with... :cool:

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

what else... Simmons loooked good? Speedy was awesome till he went down. DS looked awesome when he was in the game...

10. Dorn09

Dorn09 Well-Known Member

Scotty McKnight's head is still attached to his body. No thanks to Cody

11. Dorn09

Dorn09 Well-Known Member

Goodman field goal!

12. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat:

13. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

Well from what I saw Jeff Smart did fairly well considering that the csewe runningbacks were instantly springing into the second level. He did get pancaked though on that crackback by a lamb receiver so... meh. :huh:

Let's see... what else? The uni's looked impressive. I've always liked the all blacks and I don't really have a problem with the so-called 'maxi pad' shoulder things.

There were some really good looking girls in the stands... at the beginning.

The final score wasn't as bad as it might have been.

14. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

Colorado tight ends Greer & Dehan looked solid.

15. B1Buff

B1Buff Active Member

the only warm fuzzy feeling I got from that game was that field goal...a pleasant surprise. He walked up and I thought..."Here we go". then, he blasts it through easily and right on the money, it was so high it looked like an EP with almost 60 yd distance. Nice.

16. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

In addition to Goodman's career-long field goal (way to go, Aric!), he was doing really well on kickoffs, taking over where Jameson Davis left off. I had no idea he could boom them like that, and he was very strong and consistent.

That's a plus. Big plus.

17. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

I stood next to some really nice people.

18. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

They never gave up in the CSU game and I am proud of the Buffs for that.

I think the bright spot is coming. This team will ban together with an us against the world attitude. They will fight like trapped animals and suprise us along the way. It will be a tough year, but we will be proud of the hard effort they put in.

19. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

I like your perspective and hope you're right, but the problem becomes that we just aren't talented enough or well coached enough to beat a lot of the teams on our schedule (Texas, Okie light, WVU, Mizzou, KU), so we can't squander gimme games against teams like the CSU Butt-Rams unless we want to be right where we were last year: desperately trying to win our 6th game against Nebraska - which I know is not where we should be with a 4th year coach with the talent we've got...

Good coaching means that a team doesn't have to get embarassed at home by an inferior opponent to rally together and fight

20. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I re-watched the game yesterday (cause I'm a masochist) and the feeling i had at the end of the re-watch was much different than what I felt on Sunday.

First, as was mentioned earlier, the D played well in the second half. I didn't realize it when I was watching live but we shut down the lammies and held them to 3 in the last 2 qtrs. The D seemed to be playing tougher on the later parts of the game. Last year the opposite was true with our D always getting tired late in the game and teams would start to run over the top of us.

Second, it appeared like the coaches were able to make adjustments during halftime that made a difference on the field. Both the O and D came out much stronger after halftime and that was, in part, due to the coaches making the right decisions about what to change. In years past there were no adjustments made at the half or the ones they did make were completely ineffective. It's not much but it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  21. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

23. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

24. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I maintain that CU wins if Scotty doesn't fumble in the CSU red zone down 20-10 with a quarter and a half to play.

25. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

26. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

27. buffsroam

buffsroam Club Member Club Member

Positive. The sun came up this morning and yesterday as well.

28. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Fresno State 2001?

29. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

:yeahthat:

30. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance?