What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Notable from initial spring depth chart

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/676897.pdf?ATCLID=204902087&SPSID=3843&SPID=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600

1. The Wide Receiver grouping now has an "H", "X" and "Z". The "H" is new. Looks like we're going to be looking at a slot receiver as a dedicated position. (I'm very happy to see this.)

2. Max Tuioti-Mariner is listed among the offensive linemen without any restrictions to his playing time. Sione Tau is also listed among the OLs without restriction. (Fantastic!)

3. Clark Evans is listed among the Tight Ends. So is Luke Walters. We have more depth at TE than we expected. (I'm glad that it looks like Luke will be put on scholarship and be part of the 2010 Buffaloes).

4. Blake Stanley is no longer listed among the CU quarterbacks or anywhere else on the roster. (I'd love to find out what the story is, he was an interesting kid who really worked hard to get a D1 shot.)

5. Corey Nabors is no longer splitting time between Tailback and Wide Receiver, he's only listed at Tailback. (Expected, given our relative depth at the 2 positions.)

6. Doug Rippy has moved to Inside Linebacker (not sure whether Mike or Will). Liloa Nobriga is now an Outside Linebacker (SAM). David Goldberg has moved from Defensive End to Outside Linebacker. (Very interesting. Rippy definitely has the size to play inside. He could be special. And Nobriga/Goldberg are both tweeners who fit well as the rush LB when we go to the 34 front.)

7. Josh Moten is now listed at Defensive Back, not Quarterback. (As reported previously. Good move, imo.)

8. Both Aric Goodman and Zach Grossnickle are working at Punter and Placekicker. Goodman is listed as #1 for Kickoffs, but they're alphabetical for the other two duties. (Could Grossnickle end up handling all kicking duties? Or maybe Goodman punts? Or Kirkwood, the junior walk on, steps up and wins the Placekicker job? Or Castor wins it this fall? Should be interesting, for sure.)

9. Lots of guys getting a shot at Kickoff and Punt Return. (The ones that surprised me a bit were that Toney Clemons and Ray Polk are both getting a look... Parker Orms and Kendrick Celestine are not.)

10. Cody Hawkins is listed as a Placeholder and Tyler Hansen is not. (Does this suggest who the backup QB is figured to be?)

11. The following players are out for extended time: Nate Bonsu- knee, Steven Hicks- academics, Terdema Ussery- leave, Anthony Wright- knee, Simas-suspension. (Bonsu is expected to be fine, Hicks was a surprise - at least to me - and he's really missing an opportunity with a new position coach, Ussery is expected back this summer, and Wright's injury problems are believed to be career threatening - he is listed at CB again, though, which I think is the right move, & Simas we all know about.)

12. The following players are new spring walk ons to the program: WR Alex Turbow, 6‐1, 205, Fr.; TE Matt Allen, 6‐2, 220, Fr.; TE Joe Fleming, 6‐3, 240, Jr.; QB Matt Johnson, 6‐4, 200, Soph.; DL Sean Gomerdinger, 6‐2, 240, Soph.; DL Guido Murnig, 6‐2, 225, Fr.; DL Michael O’Connor, 6‐1, 225, Soph.; DB Alan Downing, 6‐1, 195, Jr.; and, DB Devon Martin, 5‐8, 175, Soph. (Welcome to the Buffs and good luck, guys!).

First practice is today at 10am. It should last 2 hours or so.

:gobuffs:

Thanks Nik. I've taken a vow of relative apathy this season, but I got through line two, and I had the goosebumps, and the fire, and the faith and the hope that creeps in every season. Let's hope it survives the third quarter of the CSU game this year.

I remain undecided on the spring game, but it is hard to get too amped up about Spring practice. All we will get is DH's blather about how the team is doing. That has proven to bear little or no relation to reality....

spring game has been a real snoozer the last couple years. i like being in the stadium, and that's about as interested as i can be with all the orange helmet socks and fake crowd noise that made children cry last year. real fan friendly.

Mario Conte moved to WR, he came in as a DB didn't he?

Speedy getting a shot at KR/PR, not sure I like that, if he misses significant time again next year we're in deep ****.

Tau listed at 350 pounds :wow:

I like the idea of Polk at returner, RB skills with track speed is always a nice combo, but again I'm afraid he might get hurt. Safety wouldn't be looking very good if he was injured.

My observations:

Positives:
1. I like the move of Rippy to inside. I think it is imperative we get bigger there.
2. It looks like the kicking jobs are wide open. We need competition there and I am happy to see the coaches are not content to just giving the job to Goodman.
3. The names for returners. I like the fact that we are looking at trying to get playmakers on the field to boost the return game. Need the freshmen from the 2010 class ready to hit the ground running the minute they step on to campus.

Concerns:
1. The weight of Givens is a concern. 270 for a guy whom is in his third year in the program is light.
2. The depth at CB is pretty much non-existent. Smith and Brown NEED to stay healthy.
3. Our RB depth. None of the guys listed look to be every-down backs.

Back