What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Now its time for football.

I can't understand what the reasoning is behind the cattle run for the student entrance. A ticket is a ticket. You should be able to use it to get in anywhere. The only exception to this that I can think of is to have a separate entrance to the club level. That makes sense to me. You have to reward the people who spend the big money with some perks.

So if they see anyone that looks too ****ed up they can keep em out? Have you seen that thing? Its lined with 20-30 cops looking for any stumble or anything.

So if they see anyone that looks too ****ed up they can keep em out? Have you seen that thing? Its lined with 20-30 cops looking for any stumble or anything.
It's funny. I've been blackout drunk multiple times going to football games and have never been questioned by the BPD. I've only been drunk a few times while going to basketball games and one of the times I was sober this past season I was asked how much I've had to drink by a cop. I think they're there to tell students to not do anything out of line without saying anything.

It's funny. I've been blackout drunk multiple times going to football games and have never been questioned by the BPD. I've only been drunk a few times while going to basketball games and one of the times I was sober this past season I was asked how much I've had to drink by a cop. I think they're there to tell students to not do anything out of line without saying anything.
I honestly think it is an attempt to keep the students away from the nice, normal folks (blue hairs). I also think it is a bunch of crap since it's very difficult to sustain a ****ing university without students.

Me too. And the lines weren't long. But many students still did not show up until after kickoff so I'm not sure that is the source of the problem.

I remember things differently. The student section always filled up pretty well prior to kickoff. Maybe not 100% full, but pretty close. The football team was much better then, though.

I guess my point is that the students aren't treated very well at football games. They're treated like criminals. People tend to avoid the people & places where they are not treated well.

The reason they are forced through the cattle chute is that they need their cards scanned to be allowed into the game, an we only have like 8 card readers. Everyone else in the stadium uses a paper ticket but students have to get swiped.

The reason they are forced through the cattle chute is that they need their cards scanned to be allowed into the game, an we only have like 8 card readers. Everyone else in the stadium uses a paper ticket but students have to get swiped.
All the other gates have scanners too.

And the cards don't even work.

What's there to address? A 35 year old claiming to know what students do before games? What about the fact that once the frat tailgates die down or stop that's when people head over? A hot dog and chips is not going to work. I already posted saying Bohn needs to do a incentive based system similar to what basketball had but you just ignored that it seems.

Okay brainchild, you get both barrels. But first, a question for you.

Since you just went to the shindig in Querqy NM, what did you observed or notice about the AD (department, in general)?

Okay brainchild, you get both barrels. But first, a question for you.

Since you just went to the shindig in Querqy NM, what did you observed or notice about the AD (department, in general)?

They have recognized how important the students are to the teams success and that they have also shown more dedication to winning by paying for 100 students to support the team. I've been very impressed with Bohn in regards to basketball.

Good start. But what did you notice about what they did -- how they went about this evolution?

Bohn has been pretty good towards the students from the start. What just happened in Albuquerque is awesome and I hope we now see that as an expectation. I don't even know if they still do this, but in the mid-2000s my little brother started, designed and ran the Gold Rush t-shirt campaign ($5 gold t-shirts for the football games). Bohn was always really encouraging of him and always let him know that the AD appreciated his work. I think Bohn has been working towards this all the way along.

Very well, let this 35+ year old pass something on to one who thinks like a 17 year old.

Just from the reports of those who went, including you, I saw a very high level of attention to detail. The department thought of and went to great lengths to tie in a variety of events. Past that, they made sure the students were taken care of, that there were social events with past grads and donors, that the
down-day had some type of entertainment, meals were coordinated, briefings to the students were conducted, etc., and I'm sure there were contingency plans in case (dread the thought) the Buffs did not win their first game. There was a great deal of planning and work that went on in a very short time.

Kudos to the department. They've shown me that they are capable of looking at a wide variety of ideas and solutions to the issues that exist. I expect the AD to continue this trend.

Regarding the "late arrivals" at football games, lets face some facts. Many of the students stay on campus and mingle at the tailgates. But there are any number of those who simply can't -- they don't have the option to do what you do, so consider yourself lucky. This is a potential audience they can attract to try to complete the circle. This is an inclusive idea, and the efforts will be appreciated. Some of the other ideas and points depicted on this board are valid and should be addressed. In fact, I recognized your comment about the technology short-comings with the card readers as something that needs to be fixed.

Is giving free food to early arrivers a great idea? Maybe not. How 'bout attempting free give-aways or "incentive points" to those who are there before game time? A decent possibility. There are any number of possible solutions that may encourage the students to arrive earlier. The point is, just because you spend your time one way on a Saturday before the game does not mean every else does exactly like you do.

Think of others tini -- it's also what I expect the AD to do.

I've suggested a incentive system! Twice! People that go to the game, the vast majority do not have anything else to do on Saturdays and I've only met one person who has had a Saturday class and that was just midterm. Does CU have Saturday classes? College kids put drinking ahead of sports but an incentive system will help where the rewards are similar to basketballs. I get what you are getting at but hot dogs and chips is not going to help.

As much as we like to poke fun at Tini, he has a point. He's the demographic we're talking about here. I think it might be a good idea to hear what his opinions are on the subject.

we already have.

One valid point is the entrance fiasco for students. To me, this seems like something the AD could, and should, address.

Students in folsom before kickoff get a reward point. 2 points (free chipotle gift card), 3 points (free tshirt), 4 points (free gym shorts) 5 points (free jersey) 6 points (free hoodie)

Also having free food for them before the game would help, along with making it easier for them to get into the stadium. The student entrance is a mess

System was suggested quite a long time ago

I think treating the students like customers instead of treating them like an annoyance would go a long way towards getting them in the stadium sooner. But hell, what do I know?

we already have.

One valid point is the entrance fiasco for students. To me, this seems like something the AD could, and should, address.

Yeah, and should have been when I was in college. It has remained bull**** since at least my freshman year (2001-02).

I think treating the students like customers instead of treating them like an annoyance would go a long way towards getting them in the stadium sooner. But hell, what do I know?

agree X100000

Yeah, and should have been when I was in college. It has remained bull**** since at least my freshman year (2001-02).

Would really be nice if one of Bohn's minions were reading AB right about now.

THey've been responsive to our ideas lately.... hopefully someone from the AD is lurking.

The biggest issue, and one that you touched on a little is the student entrance. They try to herd us like cattle into these gates and they don't have enough security people checking people and people get stuck for a half hour waiting in line.
You ARE cattle.

Wouldn't be that hard to do a rewards system that will get the interest of at least some of those students who tend to show late.

It was mentioned earlier things like T-shirts, burrito cards, etc. Make it even better. From the reports the students who went to LA for the PAC tourney and ABQ for the NCAA tourney had the time of their lives. If the students know that showing up early and being positive will give them entry for chances at bowl trips, etc. I think it would get some attention.

This discussion is being had yet again?

This is very simple; the students who actually care will be there in time for kickoff. The students who don't care will not be. The best way to get students to care more is to have a successful team.

But I'd argue there's more.

This discussion is being had yet again?

This is very simple; the students who actually care will be there in time for kickoff. The students who don't care will not be. The best way to get students to care more is to have a successful team.

Having a successful team is one way to make them care, but not the only way.

Students will care if they believe they can make a difference. They believed that in basketball, and the AD was successful in that sport because they represented that message well. Our students make a difference for our team.

Somebody already pointed out that smaller numbers go further in basketball than they do in football. And there's always a percentage of students who are sports fanatics that can be leveraged--so in that regard it was an easier task in basketball.

But that doesn't mean it's impossible to mobilize the student fans for football either. For instance, as Sacky suggested, overselling tickets makes creates a competitive scenario. People are motivated by competition, and if they think they might be left out if they are late, than they'll make an effort to be on time. Have you ever watched those competitive romance shows? The Bachelor, Flavor of Love, Rock of Love etc...? Like any of those dudes could get laid in real life, but if you make it a competition, the women will literally fight for their affection.

The AD has already gone out with the message (last season) that the students make a difference for the football team. This year, they need to somehow SHOW the students that they believe they make a difference. They did that in basketball. It has to be based on student AD cooperation, it should be student led (to be credible) and it can't be too preachy. But every action the AD takes to get butts in the seat before kickoff should be in support of the following message: "We want you in your seats before the game, because you are important to our team's success." And it has to be sincere...

Back