What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Now its time for football.

What is good about all this discussion is the hint that with Bohn in charge the AD finally "gets it" regarding student participation at sporting events.

The complaint at CU has always been that students come from all over the country, spend a few year getting a degree, and return to wherever they came from with pleasant memories and closed pocketbooks. They don't build that intense loyalty that you see from so many other schools that translates into long term support of the school and the athletic program.

Part of this is innevitable because they do come from so many different places and haven't had that loyalty fostered since they were little but that doesn't mean that some of them can't be cultivated while they are here.

Having the students at athletic events, active and participating, has a lot of positive impacts. It makes the stadium or arena much more fun for the rest of the older, paying fans. The biggest complaint about the Broncos games is that the place is dead, full of blue hairs and walkers. The students can keep CU events alive and vibrant making it more fun for all. This means more ticket sales (full priced) and keeps the program in peoples awareness resulting in more donations for both athletics and the school in general.

The other, bigger, long-term impact is to bond those students to the school. It would be hard to quantify but I am guessing that the trip to New Mexico for the students who went with the AD and on their own will be one of the most memorable events of their college years. Many of these students will be bonded to the Buffs by this trip meaning that they are much more likely to be "supporters" of the school and program, not just "alums."

It will take time to show all the effects but the opportunity now exist to change the culture of athletics in Boulder and it seems that Bohn recognizes that and is working to take advantage. CU athletics needs to be a part of these kids lives when they return to California, Texas, Illinois, or Lakewood if the program is going to have the future we want to see.

I've suggested a incentive system! Twice! People that go to the game, the vast majority do not have anything else to do on Saturdays and I've only met one person who has had a Saturday class and that was just midterm. Does CU have Saturday classes? College kids put drinking ahead of sports but an incentive system will help where the rewards are similar to basketballs. I get what you are getting at but hot dogs and chips is not going to help.

With the multiple "black-out" drink-a-thons and the "drinking ahead of sports" lifestyle, you are building an impressive resume, 'Tini. Purely out of morbid curiosity and not out of any empathy or desire to get to know you (or hire you), what type of career are you preparing for after you are done with the 6-year party at CU?

With the multiple "black-out" drink-a-thons and the "drinking ahead of sports" lifestyle, you are building an impressive resume, 'Tini. Purely out of morbid curiosity and not out of any empathy or desire to get to know you (or hire you), what type of career are you preparing for after you are done with the 6-year party at CU?

Wait what's wrong with doing what the majority of college kids do on the weekends?

I don't put drinking ahead of sports, but my roommates do. I'll tailgate but dry to drag them out before game time and try to get there on time but that falls on def ears a good amount of times, and a lot of the student body does the same. I'm not a fan of blackout drinking, and only do it a few times a year. The hangover is way too harsh for me to do it anymore often than that.

Last edited:
Back