What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nuckols

I agree, I was just joking around. One day CU will have a recruiting cycle that isn't fouled up by the NCAA clearing****house or the admissions dept. I just hope I'm alive to see it....:huh:

The entire 2008 class made it I believe

Dis.a.pointed.:sad1:
This could end up being a positive. Instead of starting his freshman year with no experience and likely not contributing so much this year, if he gray shirrts, he'll begin his freshman year with a full spring behind him plus a year to mature physically an, more importantly, mentally.

This could end up being a positive. Instead of starting his freshman year with no experience and likely not contributing so much this year, if he gray shirrts, he'll begin his freshman year with a full spring behind him plus a year to mature physically an, more importantly, mentally.

as long as he takes care of business and enrolls at CU i don't see the gray shirt thing as too big a deal. not the optimal scenario by any means but if it means Ed comes in with a better understanding of what it's going to take in the classroom vs. high school....then, maybe in the long run, there's some good to the situation.

my friend just sent me nuckols status

I ****ed up in the classroom. Got a D and now I can't get admitted into CU till the spring. Which means, I am to return to Cali next month and go to a JC till January. NO FB JUST BOOKS THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR BEING LAZY. SORRY BOULDER. I'LL BE BACK IN JANUARY

Sadly I don't think we can count on any of these 3 guys to get in and stay in via the grayshirt method. If we get 2 out of 3 I would consider ourselves lucky :sad1:

If Nuckols were an issolated case, that's one thing. But add Simon, Moten and Thornton to the list, not to mention a number of examples from previous classes, and what emerges is a disappointing trend.

No doubt Nuckols situation could be a positive in the long run. And I hope you are right.

But it would be more positive if the NCAA clearing house wasn't a factor because CU's recruits are on top of their studies and come to Boulder without academic red flags, ready to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

It sucks but this stuff happens at schools all over the country. We are far from the only school having a couple of guys not make it through the clearinghouse. I think all signs point to both Nuckols and Simon already being Buffs in their own minds. I still worry a little about Simon qualifying and think he might end up at a JC. That would then put us in the same situation of trying to get him qualified out of the JC which we have seen takes a guy who is clearly dedicated to go to CU and work his butt off in the classroom to get there.

Nuckols on the other hand, I think is as close to a sure thing as you can get in this situation. He goes to the JC for fall, takes 6 hours of classes, meets the standards plus now is enrolling with 6 hours on transcript meaning he is a little ahead on academic progress. He also has had a chance to adapt to college level classes which are taught differently than even the college prep and A.P. classes in HS. He gets an extra year of lifting, gets spring ball for coaching and to adapt to the college game and then even if he plays the following fall he is much more prepared to make serious contributions.

Simon could benefit from a lot of the same things. Frequently one year makes a huge difference in the maturity of guys both physically and also mentally and emotionally.

Moten I think gets in but if he doesn't I think he is very solid to make it in for January. I think he would have redshirted this year anyways so he comes out ahead in the deal.

It is frustrating when we see other teams in the Big XII that seemingly have full depth and simply replace the guys who leave or are injured with guys who are younger but ready to step in. We are not there yet and these guys would have gotten us a little closer but we are getting there over time and are way ahead of where we were a couple of years ago.

Maybe so. Can anyone confirm that Thornton has met all of CU's admissions criteria and will be rocking and rolling with fall camp?

His high school ****ed up with sending transcripts. He should be ready to go for Fall.

For all we know, Moten will be here in the Fall too. That means we would be waiting on Nuckols and Simon for the Spring. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

His high school ****ed up with sending transcripts. He should be ready to go for Fall.

For all we know, Moten will be here in the Fall too. That means we would be waiting on Nuckols and Simon for the Spring. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

If transcripts and ACT scores are good with Thornton, then that's great. Way to go DeVaughn. WOOT! :thumbsup:

Well when you have bad seasons you have to recruit at the margins. I think we should stick to JuCos who need 8 million credit hours be eligible.

Well when you have bad seasons you have to recruit at the margins. I think we should stick to JuCos who need 8 million credit hours be eligible.

8 million? if you think about it, doing 1 million credits per week, its not that much.

8 million? if you think about it, doing 1 million credits per week, its not that much.

yeah, there's all kinds of on-line, accredited courses offered throughout the summer from a variety of institutions....kids can easily pick up a million or two million credits here and there.

I would guess we sign 21-22.

Right now it looks like CU will only have 75 on scholarship, which is bad from a depth and development standpoint. Assuming that we have the normal 5-6 lost to attrition of one sort or another before the fall of 2010 then CU has to sign ~28.

Right now it looks like CU will only have 75 on scholarship, which is bad from a depth and development standpoint. Assuming that we have the normal 5-6 lost to attrition of one sort or another before the fall of 2010 then CU has to sign ~28.

No way we sign 28. I think we have seen most of the attrition we will see for a while. We'll lose 2-3 guys this offseason, but I don't see 5-6. Hawk likes to hold 2-3 schollies a year to be given to graduating seniors (like Devin Shanahan this year). I would guess we might sign more than the 21-22 I originally posted, but I would not bet we sign more than 24 or so.

I originally had the 2010 class being very small, but given the defections, we are now looking at 10 (unfilled) plus 12 seniors I believe. I would think there might be a scholly or two given to non-Senior walkons, leaving us with perhaps 20 spots. I'd like to see us oversign and go for 25.

Predicting some of these border-line cases getting thru the clearinghouse is tough. Depending on how many we take that are border-line of course, we should always count on 2-3 non-qualifiers. That still leaves us room to grayshirt guys that would accept it as Vigo did this last year. I'm sure it would help a few kids and there's always a few who would grayshirt at CU rather than go about any where else.

We signed 22 in 2006 (9 either transferred or never made it in). We signed 28 in 2007 (10 in that class have either transferred or never made it in... ouch). 21 players in 2008. 19 players in 2009.

No wonder we have depth issues.:rolleyes: We have signed (or oversigned) for exactly one class in the last four years. In the other years, we have been at least three scholarships under that magic number 25. ****.

Forgot to add that three players in the 2008 class have already left. How the crap are we still only able to sign 17-18 players????

Last edited:
No way we sign 28. I think we have seen most of the attrition we will see for a while. We'll lose 2-3 guys this offseason, but I don't see 5-6. Hawk likes to hold 2-3 schollies a year to be given to graduating seniors (like Devin Shanahan this year). I would guess we might sign more than the 21-22 I originally posted, but I would not bet we sign more than 24 or so.

Attrition at CU is a minimum of 5 a year if you count players that sign but don't get in. We already have 3 gone from the 2008 class after one year and 4 if you count MTM. I think you are overly optimistic if you think CU will only lose 2-3. Some get homesick, some get injured, some flunk out, some are tired of football, ...the list goes on, but CU is not in a good situation right now with their depth and that can no longer be blamed on the former staff.

Attrition at CU is a minimum of 5 a year if you count players that sign but don't get in. We already have 3 gone from the 2008 class after one year and 4 if you count MTM. I think you are overly optimistic if you think CU will only lose 2-3. Some get homesick, some get injured, some flunk out, some are tired of football, ...the list goes on, but CU is not in a good situation right now with their depth and that can no longer be blamed on the former staff.

I may be overly optimistic with 2-3, but it evens it out a bit with Clemons coming in and Celestine potentially being back on the team.

I'm not blaming anything on the former staff. I actually agree with your general point-we should be signing a full class and sorting out the details later.

Back