What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

O-linemen

You guys are making Miller sound like he's going to be Solder at the combine, I'm not seeing it. His height is an anomaly, but it's not a good one. Teams in the NFL don't want a 6'8 guard. He's not overly fast or athletic, so that won't be a huge plus either. He's a solid guard that seemingly plays good vs better competition and will probably get drafted, but I doubt teams are going to be tripping over themselves to get in on him. What will make or break him is if teams think they can slide him over to RT and teach him to play like he did vs Suh every week.

One thing that any o-lineman has going for him- demand in the NFL. Teams have so many issues with their offensive line they are always looking for bodies to take up space up front. Could really help Millers stock and many others around college football.

I'm not sure what's up with RM. I do remember him having success in some epic battles with Suh. I also think he'll get drafted (prolly in rounds 3-5).

You guys are making Miller sound like he's going to be Solder at the combine, I'm not seeing it. His height is an anomaly, but it's not a good one. Teams in the NFL don't want a 6'8 guard. He's not overly fast or athletic, so that won't be a huge plus either. He's a solid guard that seemingly plays good vs better competition and will probably get drafted, but I doubt teams are going to be tripping over themselves to get in on him. What will make or break him is if teams think they can slide him over to RT and teach him to play like he did vs Suh every week.

He will measure at 310lbs+ with little body fat, he runs straight line better than most big guys and will post a good 40 time. He is also a weight room warrior so his reps on the weight bar are going to be high. He is also a bright and personable guy and should do very well in the interviews.

He will be hurt by being a guard instead of a tackle and his film isn't that good but he is the kind of guy that teams fall in love with.

Not sure I agree Scotty. The guy can barely handle the guy he's lining up against. Watching him get bullrushed and getting tossed back into Hansen's lap was embarrassing. And that was vs Hawaii. I doubt any DL out of Hawaii are going to the league anytime soon.

I think it's fair to expect Miller to handle those guys easily. No?

Oh for sure, there is no excusing bad plays like that. He has had his times where he was owned on the field.

I hate making excuses for anyone, but it isn't a "blanket excuse" just an observation in general. He still needs to do his job and do it well. We need him to do just that.

There will be some major challenges for the Buffs to improve on the O-line, hopefully Asiata and Crabb can fill the holes at guard an Munyer/Handler can progress at center, and that Harris/Nembot/Mustoe can show something at RT. But that is alot of IFs for our future at o-line to be improved.

Oh for sure, there is no excusing bad plays like that. He has had his times where he was owned on the field.

I hate making excuses for anyone, but it isn't a "blanket excuse" just an observation in general. He still needs to do his job and do it well. We need him to do just that.

There will be some major challenges for the Buffs to improve on the O-line, hopefully Asiata and Crabb can fill the holes at guard an Munyer/Handler can progress at center, and that Harris/Nembot/Mustoe can show something at RT. But that is alot of IFs for our future at o-line to be improved.

What is your opinion on Crabb? I hope he's ready next year.

He will measure at 310lbs+ with little body fat, he runs straight line better than most big guys and will post a good 40 time. He is also a weight room warrior so his reps on the weight bar are going to be high. He is also a bright and personable guy and should do very well in the interviews.

He will be hurt by being a guard instead of a tackle and his film isn't that good but he is the kind of guy that teams fall in love with.

Again, it'll come down to whether or not they think they can turn him into a RT. No team in the NFL wants to march a 6'8 guard out there. I don't see where you're getting that he moves that well. Maybe in a straight line, but when the hell does a OL run 40 yards straight? He needs to move laterally well, which he doesn't do. There's also more than a few OL coming out this year that can put up a lot of reps on the bench and interview well.

Again, it'll come down to whether or not they think they can turn him into a RT. No team in the NFL wants to march a 6'8 guard out there. I don't see where you're getting that he moves that well. Maybe in a straight line, but when the hell does a OL run 40 yards straight? He needs to move laterally well, which he doesn't do. There's also more than a few OL coming out this year that can put up a lot of reps on the bench and interview well.

I agree completely on his lateral movement, that is why they moved him inside. The NFL has some pretty tall guards at 6'6" and taller, Washington has a 6'6" center.

I also agree that a 40 yard dash is a useless stat for OL but every year I hear some coach getting excited because he drafter a guy with a great 40 time. He isn't going in the first or even the second round but I think short an injury he has a good chance to go third round.

Look, Miller could very well have a long productive NFL career. He's solid if not spectacular and there are plenty of guys in the NFL who have made a long career out of being solid and durable. Look at a guy like Robert Gallery - he was a 1st round pick and while he never lived up to that billing, he's had a 10+ year NFL career because while not a world beater, he's consistent. Tyler Brayton also comes to mind, albeit as a defensive player...not spectacular, the casual fan probably hasn't heard of him unless he's on your team, but a long, decent career.

Miller could be like that.

Look, Miller could very well have a long productive NFL career. He's solid if not spectacular and there are plenty of guys in the NFL who have made a long career out of being solid and durable. Look at a guy like Robert Gallery - he was a 1st round pick and while he never lived up to that billing, he's had a 10+ year NFL career because while not a world beater, he's consistent. Tyler Brayton also comes to mind, albeit as a defensive player...not spectacular, the casual fan probably hasn't heard of him unless he's on your team, but a long, decent career.

Miller could be like that.

This. There are also guys that just bloom in the NFL as well.

Would Miller make the 2 deep at Bama, Stanford, Wisconsin, Oregon?

Miller would be all-world at any of these schools. The problem is in experience and talent around him. O-line is a collective persuit and you can't succeed unless those around you are at least compentent and show some consistency. We are two years away from a solid line but I would bet on some marked improvement this spring and through the fall next year. I predict 4-6 wins next year and then Bowl game in 2013. You can hold me to that if you'd like.

Miller would be all-world at any of these schools. The problem is in experience and talent around him. O-line is a collective persuit and you can't succeed unless those around you are at least compentent and show some consistency. We are two years away from a solid line but I would bet on some marked improvement this spring and through the fall next year. I predict 4-6 wins next year and then Bowl game in 2013. You can hold me to that if you'd like.

Your post lacks the shrill, uninformed element that I crave from Allbuffs.

I feel one of the big issues we have had on o-line for some time is a lack of competition. Although we have had bodies, it seems through coaches, recruting stars, or other means each player has been classified into a roll. Someone who is a starter doesn’t seem to ever be challenged. The reserves are in place to fill a starters spot in future years, ala a communist succession plan. I think Bahktiarti is the only one that is in a roll outside of the plan, with help from Givens antics. In order to get better we need the players to have competition for positions.

This problem is not solely on the offensive line, and leads into Embree’s statement that there are too many players on the roster will to take back up rolls. In other threads that have discussed how recruiting has been lacking over the prior coaching staffs final years. Seems that taking too many guys who are ‘diamonds in the rough’ has led them to being content they have a roll in a BCS program. If we are ever going to change as a program this system has to end when 2011 is over.

I feel one of the big issues we have had on o-line for some time is a lack of competition. Although we have had bodies, it seems through coaches, recruting stars, or other means each player has been classified into a roll. Someone who is a starter doesn’t seem to ever be challenged. The reserves are in place to fill a starters spot in future years, ala a communist succession plan. I think Bahktiarti is the only one that is in a roll outside of the plan, with help from Givens antics. In order to get better we need the players to have competition for positions.

This problem is not solely on the offensive line, and leads into Embree’s statement that there are too many players on the roster will to take back up rolls. In other threads that have discussed how recruiting has been lacking over the prior coaching staffs final years. Seems that taking too many guys who are ‘diamonds in the rough’ has led them to being content they have a roll in a BCS program. If we are ever going to change as a program this system has to end when 2011 is over.

Yep. I don't think there is a single back-up on the entire team that is a legitimate threat to a starter. How pathetic.

Damn good point. The lack of competition at pretty much every position is killing this team. That is the difference between filling out a depth chart and actually having true quality depth.

Makes it very hard for the coaches to use playing time as a motivator for guys to get better when they know that the guy behind them is a major step down even if they are not playing well.

I agree completely on his lateral movement, that is why they moved him inside. The NFL has some pretty tall guards at 6'6" and taller, Washington has a 6'6" center.

I also agree that a 40 yard dash is a useless stat for OL but every year I hear some coach getting excited because he drafter a guy with a great 40 time. He isn't going in the first or even the second round but I think short an injury he has a good chance to go third round.

If you can find me a 6'7 or taller guard, let me know. There might be a few 6'6 ones, but that's not the norm.

Also I hope people don't get me wrong, I hope Miller does make it in the NFL, I'm simply saying they aren't going to draft him overly high. He just hasn't ever gotten much better over his career. He kinda reminds me of Hypolite, highly regarded for awhile, but by the time he gets to the draft teams aren't going to be impressed imo.

What is your opinion on Crabb? I hope he's ready next year.

That's the word, he's barely seen any P.T. this season (41 snaps on the season). Lots of hope for him and Asiata.

I was surprised to see him listed #2 at center, I always thought he would develop as either a RT or LG, but I think we are really struggling to get a decent center into the game right now.

Back