1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

October 15 - Colorado @ Washington

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sexton Hardcastle, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I'm really looking forward to this game. Playing UDub will always be special to me because of the game we played back in '89.

[video=youtube;CYs_mnrDkT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYs_mnrDkT0[/video]

Lindy's 2011 Pac-12 Team Preview: Washington Huskies

http://www.lindyssports.com/lindys-2011-pac-12-team-preview-washington-huskies.php

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Coach Sarkisian - Aug. 23

[video=youtube;q1E0KvaqspI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1E0KvaqspI[/video]

3. Sexton Hardcastle

4. phatmack

phatmack Active Member

Can. Not. Wait. For. This. Game. I think that once CU rolls the Puppies I can finally convince my wife to remove all UW gear from our household... the only question then would be: What is the most effective and entertaining way to remove said vile?

/Stoked to see CU play in Seattle... Husky Stadium is a pretty sweet venue... it's no Folsom Field to be sure but it's not bad either.

5. Sexton Hardcastle

6. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Washington might be the biggest mystery of the Pac-12 for me this season. I could see them really having a breakout season to the point where they finish 2nd in the North, or not improving at all from last year and finishing the regular season 6-6 again. They miss Arizona State and UCLA, and they visit the Corn on 9/17 -- third time they will have played within a year

7. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

To say I can't wait for this game is the understatement of the decade. I have been counting the minutes since the schedule was announced. Other than Folsom there is no better place in my opinion to watch a game. When Husky Stadium is rocking it is unreal, the stands shake and you can't hear yourself think. I was at the #3 ranked USC game in Seattle 2 seasons ago when Udub pulled that upset and although I live and die with the Buffs I have to say it was an experience I won't forget. Then a couple weeks later I was at the Arizona game where this happened and it was even louder than the USC game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfrflEdKr-o&feature=related

Just an awesome place to see a game. I will be rocking the black and gold and hope the Buffs can silence 70,000 plus in purple. Either way I know it will be a great day in Seattle. If anyone needs tips about where to go to pre game I am local and can help. Buffs in Seattle!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    phatmack likes this.
  8. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

Washington this year has much more physical talent, much more speed, and much, much more depth then they've had in over a decade (despite the loss of Locker and Foster). They're now in year 3 under Coach Sarkisian, and incredibly there has been no coaching turnover since he's coached the team.

The problem? 36 (or so I hear) total juniors and seniors, and only a few are starters. While they are much more talented physically then they have been in years, they are still very, very young. The bulk of this team will still be playing as Huskies in two years.

Washington is still too young to know how they'll do this year. I see anywhere from 5-8 wins, with Washington being pretty good (8+ wins) next year and very good (10+ wins competiting for titles) in two years and beyond...

Buffnik likes this.
  9. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

The last game under Neu kinda sucked there! And the seats were terrible.... close to the track but couldnt see a thing!

10. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

it's at Centurylink (fka, Qwest Field) since Husky Stadium is under renno

11. DesertDawg526

Actually games will be played in Husky Stadium this year through the game in November against Oregon (which will be the last one prior to the remodel).

So CU will play in Husky Stadium this year, not Century Link (Qwest) field...

12. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

I'll take your word fir it

13. Sexton Hardcastle

Could Huskies be Pac-12 dark horse?

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/ex...id=9V70RvPLF27JlW986ImhWP2k&.intl=US&.lang=en

14. Sexton Hardcastle

[video=youtube;LCIBEZ4NXtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIBEZ4NXtE[/video]

Darth Snow likes this.
  15. Sexton Hardcastle

16. CVilleBuff

Going to be interested to see how they hold up against Hawaii. If game1 is a good indicator, they lose.

17. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Depends. Is the game at Hawaii or at Washington? Hawaii is a team knows for great at home, sucking ass on the road. Where is the game?

It is in Washington. Which means if Wshington wins, then every PAC 12 team thinks CU sucks even worse than we do right now. Mabye a good thing? let everyone overlook us?

18. DesertDawg526

Week one was certainly not what I expected out of the 'Dawgs. They really did not bring their "A" game. It was more like a "C" game at best.

Having said that, it's hard to project to this week vs. Hawai'i.

There is the most improvement from week 1 to week 2 for starters. And I don't expect to see a lethargic Husky squad this week, not if the coaches have done a decent job.

Eastern really is a good program. Better than people think. They were national champs last year and have a better team this year. Their QB is every bit as good as Moniz if not better (at least passing), and the 6'3" and 6'5" receivers are probably better than anyone on Hawai'is squad. They also returned 4/5 of their OL from their championship team. Eastern would beat a few programs in the Pac, and after watching the CU-Hawai'i game I'm not so sure that Hawai'i would be Eastern. They're definitely better than advertised, and there is a reason they're predicted to win the national championship again this year.

That said, the 'Dawgs also looked pedestrian. They were very lethargic, tentative and certainly not aggressive in the slightest, and that was surprising. Their injuries and getting dinged up a bit didn't help either. A safety, corner and two linebackers got their first collegiate starts and playing time. It showed. That's always unpredictable. The 'Dawgs will get back some starters (injuries) for the Hawai'i game and that could be huge too.

The only thing that would surprise me this week is if Hawai'i blows out the 'Dawgs in Seattle. I doubt that happens and expect a Husky win, but I'm not at all sure what to expect. There was no better prep for Hawai'i then starting with Eastern who threw the ball 69 times against a young and inexperienced secondary. UW should have a pretty good rush D, although I'm worried about the ability of Moniz to scramble. For Hawai'i to win I think Moniz will have to be as sharp as Bo Levi Mitchell was in the passing game. We'll see if that happens.

And last week was the first time in years where the 'Dawgs have played poorly, and despite everything won the game...

Overall, I'm not taking much from last week's game in trying to predict the next game, but I think UW will be prepared well for the Warriors. They certainly shouldn't be taking them lightly. We'll have to see...

19. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Best of luck DD. That being said, I hope UW loses so I feel better.

20. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I agree BP, if hawaii can beat UW on the road, or UW barely pulls a win out again, I will feel better. And if we beat Cal. Those two, beating Cal and UW losing to Hawaii at home...would make me feel much better about this season. But if not, I hope we see improvement on the OL at least.

21. PurpleReign

PurpleReign New Member

I too am looking forward to this game, it will be great to play the Buffs on a semi-regular basis.

Not sure what to expect this upcoming week though, as the opening game was a bit of a head scratcher. EWU sure played hard, but we played pretty uninspired the whole game without much emotion or signs of life.

It's almost like the team just wasn't excited and thought they could just show up and coast through this game without giving it much effort. They better get their heads screwed on straight and mentally and physically show up this week, or Hawaii will blow our doors off the stadium.

22. fcjack1

fcjack1 Member

There are a few husky fans that are jumping ship after the eastern game. But the majority seem to be happy just to "complain about a win". Must be nice.

23. PurpleReign

PurpleReign New Member

*bump*

Just trying to get some game week discussions going on here. What are you guys expecting coming into Seattle this week?

24. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

Road game... so expecting to lose.

25. Sexton Hardcastle

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2016449095_notes_from_the_couch.html

26. CVilleBuff

Another game without Paul Richardson (not that it was exactly a good situation before that), and another road game. We'll lose by 20 or so. Remember just how excited you were for that next Husky game in '08? That's how we feel right now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  27. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Loss, but not by 20. Anyone know the line? PR, What's the 411 on your D? Who're the standouts?

28. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I'm thinking a loss by around 20 feels right. UW stomped ByUtah on the road.

29. DesertDawg526

The line is -14.5 now, opened at -16.5

Not PR, but the basic 411 on the D is that nobody knows what to expect, it will go as the sophomores and freshman go in development. Three total starting seniors (Ta'Amu and Thompson on the DL and Dennison middle linebacker). Four if you count Richardson at corner although it looks like he just lost his starting job to a sophomore in Ducre.

Ta'Amu (senior) is considered our best DT but he broke his hand in preseason. He's just getting healthy, having played most of the season with a cast. He's not been dominant to this point. Tokolahi (junior) is a huge DT for us and just saw his first playing time at Utah after coming on late last season before breaking his ankle vs. WSU. His return is the biggest difference we'll see, but it's still a mystery how the line will perform with the shuffling that has occurred (Jamora our best DE was lost for the season in the Cal game). So now there are a couple of redshirt frosh and a true frosh in the mix as well.

Trufant is a pretty big player at corner and on special teams, but he is small. Dennison is a great middle linebacker, very football smart, but the other two backer's are freshman and and sophomore. Various youngsters have rotated and I don't know who will be starting vs. CU. The biggest thing with the D is half the starters are sophomores or freshman. Their improvement is what will make or break the Husky D this year. It's basically a bend don't break D. The red zone D is fantastic but they give up a lot between the 20s. The rush D is our strength, pass D is our weakness.

Burrito Palazzo likes this.
  30. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

We've got nothing. I'd take Washington and lay the points if I was a betting man.