1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive coaches thoughts

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buff_since76, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Just a few thoughts I had and came up with regarding our offensive coaches after the the UGA game:

Kiesau - In the last two games it seems Kiesau is starting to get a better feel for play calling. In the first drive, of the 13 plays, 4 were for 1, 0, -2, -4 yards. Last year Kiesau would have panicked, abandoned the run and gone to a 4+ WR set to try and get to a “manageable” 3rd down. In the last 2 games (6 quarters) he hasn’t panicked, and continued to run his game plan. It has taken some time, but maybe his is finally getting into a game rhythm. There were really only two series that I thought he had poor overall play selection. That is a big improvement from past games.

Rob Prince – is doing a good job with our receivers, and a great job being in charge of personel groupings for plays. He shows a ton of fire and emotion, is helping Kiesau with game strategy, and gets the players on the field so we break the huddle with 20+ seconds on the play clock. In the last 3 years we have had Scotty McKnight and the rest of the receivers. We now are a team with multiple threats. My favorite item to note is how well the receivers block down field. They did miss a block on the WR screen, but most of the time they do a good job blocking in the open field.

Denver Johnson – the line is improving, and I would guess the fact that we have had the same line for 2 straight games is helping that (I’m sure this also helped in the reduction of penalties from Hawaii to UGA). They are improving as a unit, and I hope they get better with every game. They do allow pressure to get to Hansen, but always seem to leave him a lane to escape as well. Of the two sacks, one was when Deehan was blocking (and he basically tackled Hansen), and the other was a late blitzing linebacker coming up after Hansen got outside the pocket. Overall they are an improved unit.

Darian Hagan – the running backs are playing much better, and doing a good job blocking as well. The key to the first series was the blocking by B-lock on Hansen runs. We no longer trot one back on the field to do pass blocking either. There is still room for improvement, but they have gotten better as a unit running hard and hitting the hole. It amazes me how well Speedy does at short yardages. Last year every 3rd/4th and 1 Sumler would come on the field and get half of the needed yardage. Speedy picks up the though yards when we need them.

Riddle – he is the red headed step child of the bunch. Not just for special teams (which are obviously not improving), but for TE play as well. I know we graduated some talent last year, but I haven’t seen much outstanding play from the TE’s this year. One guy who sits near me constantly complains about how poorly coached Deehan is. The TE’s did have 4 catches for 18 yards, a TD and 2 pt conversion, but most of the game our TE tends to be a non-factor.
    Buffnik likes this.
  2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009

In fairness to Riddle (who I don't like as a coach), Georgia wasn't a game where I expected much from our TEs. Their LBs and Safeties are just too big and fast. The stat line they put up was better than I would have expected going in, to be perfectly honest. I've been disappointed the previous 3 games, though.