What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Coordinator

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
I find it very interesting that MacIntyre has had 3 Offensive Coordinators in 3 years at SJSU.

Also find it very interesting that his last one, came to SJSU with no prior "Pistol" experience. He was given the playbook and the system by MacIntyre and told "this is what we run here - learn it" (or thereabouts).

Pretty unusual, especially from a so-called "Defensive-Minded HC".

Word is that the 2011 Offensive Coordinator (DeFillipo - currently with the Raiders) is interviewing for the SJSU HC job. I hadn't realized he had been at SJSU for 2 years, but the first year he was only the QB coach.

When was the last time we had a Head Coach come in and said "this is our system" - independent of who was his coordinators?

It's an interesting way for a coach with a defensive background to run things. I think it makes sense, too. What he really wants from an OC is a guy who can break down film in order to put together a game plan, can make in-game adjustments, and has a feel for playcalling.

I got the impression that EB spend an inordinate amount of time on putting together the actual playbook and constantly updating it.

I get the feeling that coach likes his current OC. He was pretty quick to insist that he was coming with him.
Hes a young guy, and they just broke pretty much every single offensive record there, so I am good with it.

If hes good, hopefully he will stay for awhile.

I find this refreshing...instead of learning a new offense in what seems like every offseason, the Buffs will be running the pistol offense regardless of who is the OC.

I advocated one key common thing in hiring a new coach. That he had been a successful coordinator in the past. That way we knew he'd own that side of the ball and we'd at least improve on that side. Having proven HC experience to me was a nice addition.

Neither Hawkins or Embree had ever coordinated either side. They relied on their hires, which turned out to be not great. MacIntyre was a position coach on offense before he was a defensive coach. (So was Belichick btw).

MacIntyre seems to be very involved in both sides. Sort of the way I always picture the great Head Coaches. Bob Stoops was a great DC. But his offenses have always been good at OU. He has done that without going out and grabbing some new FAD OC. Probably lots of examples both ways, but I for one, am a lot more comfortable that TunaMac is right for this job over someone like Sonny Dykes or Gus Malzahn.

I advocated one key common thing in hiring a new coach. That he had been a successful coordinator in the past. That way we knew he'd own that side of the ball and we'd at least improve on that side. Having proven HC experience to me was a nice addition.

Neither Hawkins or Embree had ever coordinated either side. They relied on their hires, which turned out to be not great. MacIntyre was a position coach on offense before he was a defensive coach. (So was Belichick btw).

MacIntyre seems to be very involved in both sides. Sort of the way I always picture the great Head Coaches. Bob Stoops was a great DC. But his offenses have always been good at OU. He has done that without going out and grabbing some new FAD OC. Probably lots of examples both ways, but I for one, am a lot more comfortable that TunaMac is right for this job over someone like Sonny Dykes or Gus Malzahn.

Keep in mind BOTH Leach and Mangino OC'd for Stoops

Back