What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Expectations for 2015

What are your expectations for the offense in year 3?

• Huge jump - Sefo & Co. light it up and keep us in every game > 35 pts/game

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Modest increase - We'll have some fireworks in OOC & a few P12 defenses ~ 32 pts/game

Votes: 66 72.5%
  • Stay the same - The offense reached it's scoring peak in 2014 = 28 pts/game

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Slight decrease - More emphasis on the running game quells the scoring ~ 25 pts/game

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Complete disaster - Nothing works, Sefo regresses & running game is ineffective < 22 pts/game

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
We tried to commit to the run last year in the early season with disastrous results. The single biggest turning point in our offensive efficiency would be to know we can get the 2-3 tough yards when needed to open up the passing game.

I wouldn't say that we tried to commit to the run early on last year or that our results were disastrous. They weren't great, by any means, but we had 154 rushing attempts for 640 yards (4.15 ypc) vs 180 passing attempts in the first four games. To me, Lindgren has favored the pass more than the run, and it's not just because we have typically been trailing in games, as our 1st half passing attempts actually outnumbered our 2nd half attempts.

I would agree about the 2-3 tough yards when we "gotta have it", though. Routinely getting stuffed on 2nd and 3rd and shorts was extremely frustrating. It was discussed elsewhere but I believe that to become more effective in the run game, they need to instill a mindset early in camp and make it known that they will not just run to compliment the pass.

i don't think we need to commit to a running first type offense. We just need to be able to get 2-3yards on the ground. Having 3rd and shorts and 4th and inches and goal line situations turned back because we couldn't get 2-3 yards was so damn frustrating last year.

I wouldn't say that we tried to commit to the run early on last year or that our results were disastrous. They weren't great, by any means, but we had 154 rushing attempts for 640 yards (4.15 ypc) vs 180 passing attempts in the first four games. To me, Lindgren has favored the pass more than the run, and it's not just because we have typically been trailing in games, as our 1st half passing attempts actually outnumbered our 2nd half attempts.

I would agree about the 2-3 tough yards when we "gotta have it", though. Routinely getting stuffed on 2nd and 3rd and shorts was extremely frustrating. It was discussed elsewhere but I believe that to become more effective in the run game, they need to instill a mindset early in camp and make it known that they will not just run to compliment the pass.

YPC matters but it is also important to look at how that average is gained. If you have a first down run for 13 you are happy but if the next two first down runs are for 0 and 2 you have put yourself into second and long twice giving the defense the advantage.

The ideal is when you can consistently get at least 3-4 on first down with some being longer. Huge difference in play selection when you have 2nd and 6 or 7 vs. second and 9 or 10, let's you use a lot more of the playbook. Much better of course is second and 3 or 4 when you can do whatever you want.

Last years issues were less about average than consistency. I think our interior OL will be more physical this year hopefully allowing us to build some of that consistency.

We tried to commit to the run last year in the early season with disastrous results. The single biggest turning point in our offensive efficiency would be to know we can get the 2-3 tough yards when needed to open up the passing game.

Honestly, I guess what I meant by committing to the run was predicated on the assumption that we will be better at it. If we suck at it, or can't get the 2-3 yards, then we're not going to see offensive improvement in my mind.

i don't think we need to commit to a running first type offense. We just need to be able to get 2-3yards on the ground. Having 3rd and shorts and 4th and inches and goal line situations turned back because we couldn't get 2-3 yards was so damn frustrating last year.

We don't have to be a run first offense, but assuming we're better at the run than last year, I'd like to see us shift a significant amount of offensive possessions to true running plays. I think it will really take a lot of pressure off Sefo and make him that much better (thereby making the offense better).

Honestly, I guess what I mean by committing to the run was predicated on the assumption that we will be better at it. If we suck at it, or can't get the 2-3 yards, then we're not going to see offensive improvement in my mind.

We don't have to be a run first offense, but assuming we're better at the run than last year, I'd like to see us shift a significant amount of offense possessions to true running plays. I think it will really take a lot of pressure off Sefo and make him that much better (thereby making the offense better).

Honestly if we can count on the run game to pick up the short yards on 3rd down, that will be plenty to take pressure off of Sefo. More than that is a very welcome bonus.

Honestly if we can count on the run game to pick up the short yards on 3rd down, that will be plenty to take pressure off of Sefo. More than that is a very welcome bonus.
This is what I was after with my post. I don't see us becoming Wisconsin. Just be able to run for short yardage with confidence to keep a defense honest.

modest increase if the run game can improve, we cut down on turnovers, and get a few more explosive plays.

It is not going to take drastic improvement from any one area of the offense to get to the 32pts/game mark. Hell an improvement in accuracy in the kicking game could get that kind of point increase.

It is not going to take drastic improvement from any one area of the offense to get to the 32pts/game mark. Hell an improvement in accuracy in the kicking game could get that kind of point increase.

After what we saw in the spring game I think we all have accepted the fact that kicking game is going to be a roller coaster.

I like this post. I hope it's true. I really think we need to commit to the run to make it happen. I hope Lindgren is willing to do that. Less smoke and mirrors and more power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO what we need in the run game is a reliable option for short yardage. We need a high percentage attack for getting a yard or two. That is why I like Powell as the feature back (I can't wait to see what Baltazaar can offer...but he is an unknown commodity). We don't need a gashing back that can get 30 yards in a chunk, though that would be nice - our passing attack - which is really good IMHO - gives us explosion.

I think Sefo's high pick rate is mostly due to two things: (1) having no reliable run game, the pass being the most effective option for Lindgren on short yardage downs, and (2) having to match TDs with what our D gave the other team.

Was our anemic run game a (1)run-block issue, (2)a back issue or a (3)coaching issue (RB by committee)? I think our backs were pretty decent, so I suspect 1 and 3, but I don't know for sure. I think (1) will be fixed this year. No matter what, this year we have to convert the 3rd and twos. If we do then watch out!!!

Problem is we were a top 30 offense in yards but 67th in scoring, which can be attributed to IMO the lack of a short running game and the need to continue scoring as our defense was atrocious.

I expect the running game and the D to improve, so I am guessing we will see a jump in scoring.

This.

I think Bobo breaks outs and Sefo plays smarter and doesn't turn it over as much. Part of that lies in the hope that the defense doesn't leave the game on Sefo and offenses shoulders to win it.

The offense/Sefo has matured each year. We have gone from the no-run-game, chuck it downfield to PRich, to a so-so run game with lots of short yardage throws. I suspect this year we see a better run game which will complement more downfield throws. I believe our scoring offense will improve this year as a result.

As I mentioned in the Hawaii thread...I hope we establish the run game by settling on Powell/Lindsay as our powerback/scatback combo...maybe Baltazaar if he shows. No more running back by committee.

I hate running back-by-committee as well, but the way CU does absolutely boggles my mind. They put Lindsay in on 3/4 and short with 8 in the box and run him up the gut. Then Powell in 1st and 10 from our own 13 and try to throw him passes in the flat.

And if there is ONE thing Lindsay needs to do to make it so I don't want to throw my tv out the window - STOP trying to take everyone head on. Use his speed and shiftiness got outside/around would-be tacklers. Good lord!

I hate running back-by-committee as well, but the way CU does absolutely boggles my mind. They put Lindsay in on 3/4 and short with 8 in the box and run him up the gut. Then Powell in 1st and 10 from our own 13 and try to throw him passes in the flat.

And if there is ONE thing Lindsay needs to do to make it so I don't want to throw my tv out the window - STOP trying to take everyone head on. Use his speed and shiftiness got outside/around would-be tacklers. Good lord!

^^This^^ a thousand times.

You don't use a guy generously listed at 176lbs to try to move a pile in short yardage. You don't send your slowest back on plays that require him to beat defenders to the edge.

Back