What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line Improvement/Recruiting (pruned from Lynott thread)

Why very little talk about Dillon Middlemiss and his future at C.U.?

He also is a guy who committed early and was not interested in other offers. His name didn't come up because he kept it low key. He also played for a lower profile program in terms of public attention.

Another factor is that he isn't seen by many as being as ready to be an early factor in terms of playing time. I think he has a high ceiling but isn't as PAC ready as a guy like Lynott right now.

I think it's amazing that offensive line was pretty much our #1 concern going into the season and now the unit is seen as a position of strength. Even with two 5th year seniors leaving, we have a good amount of talent and depth there with some newcomers joining.

We lost more games at the end of the season than the beginning. This O line has improved, has a long way to go, and desperately needs talent. Are they better? Yes. Are they good? No.

Summary of O-line threads in 2014:

January – April:

Holy crap, the o-line could be bad next year. We have no idea if Irwin can play, or if he will be healthy. He has missed two springs and one fall with injuries. Right now we will need Muestoe to step in and play LT. Nembot looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. In the Utah game Sefo had about 1.5 seconds before he had to release the ball. I hope he can get better fast cause we don’t have anyone behind him either. Handler wasn’t all that good, but I have no idea who is going to replace him. We have two seniors in Crabb and Munyar, who I am not sure if they are starters on any other P12 team, and they are our best linemen.

May – July:

We need Callahan to be eligible right off the bat so he can be LT. We still have to wait and see if Irwin can recover from his injury. If he does maybe he goes RT if Nembot doesn't get it, or Irwin could go OG and have Munyar take over the center spot. This line is still extremely thin, and any injury means we will be taking a big step back in talent. We do have Weifels and Holland now which may add some depth, but that is still a lightly recruited Juco and a freshman. The O-line really scares me going into camp.

August:

Callahan is eligible: WAHOO!!! But he is practicing at RG behind Munyar, WTF??? Nembot is still not there, but we don’t have anyone challenging him. Irwin is playing LT, and looks OK. Not sure how this pans out, but at least his foot is healed. We have Crabb and Munyar at the guards with Kelly at C, and I am not sure how this will turn out.

September:

First week - Nembot is still not getting it; by the end of the ASU game – Nembot is starting to play like a P12 RT

First week – Our Seniors are not living up to their billing and I’m not sure where they would be on the two deep at any other P12 program; by the end of the ASU game – the Seniors are starting to show the needed leadership on the line

First week – is LT the best spot for Irwin, it seems he would be better inside and then put Callahan (who was on the Auburn 2 deep at LT) at LT; by the end of the ASU game – Irwin is at least P12 capable, even if it isn't his natural position

First week – do we need to adjust people around to get better play out of C; by the end of the ASU game – Kelly is better than Handler, let’s see how he continues to develop

End of Season, looking forward to 2015

Nembot – light turned on, and he got better as the season progressed. If he keeps playing at the same level he is an average P12 RT. If he can continue to develop he could be very good in 2015

Irwin – did alright. He is a good player, but probably not a natural LT. If he is the best we have then he is above serviceable. On a bright note, this will be his first off-season to work and develop in a couple years. This could be a big stepping stone for 2015.

Kelly – Started as a Sophomore, and did show improvement as the year went on. He will have two new guards (although he did play with Kough and Kronshage to his left at different points during the year) next to him with a lot less experience. He will have to read the line, and make calls, but has good experience

Filling the two seniors at OG – they did well, but it seems we have some talent to replace them. We have Callahan, Kough Kronshage, Holland, and maybe Lynot if he shows he is godly and can come in and start. There could also be a possibility of someone like Lisella, Callahan, or someone else takes over at LT and Irwin moves inside.

There is some optimism for the line to improve in 2015, as we will be able to fill positions based on competition, which wasn't really the case heading into 2014.

People keep saying pass pro has been a issue yet we were top 10 in lowest adjusted sack rate. Sure some were because Sefo has a good feel for pressure but we threw a **** ton and gave up few sacks. The worst part of the OL was the lack of push and by the end of the year we were pushing Utah very good DL.

The refusal for people to give props to Nembot is amazing. Yes he has struggled in his early years, but this year he was one of the best tackles in the conference.

Good part was Sefo always got the INT away before he took the sack!! (I kid, I kid)

I love Sefo. He is growing, but he is intense, I know he beats himself up so much more than even the assholes do around here. I am glad we have him.

I think it's amazing that offensive line was pretty much our #1 concern going into the season and now the unit is seen as a position of strength. Even with two 5th year seniors leaving, we have a good amount of talent and depth there with some newcomers joining.
I wouldn't say #1 concern, but they were certainly a big question mark. The improvement was the story of the 2014 team...no other unit performed as well and consistently improved. I'm expecting good things in 2015. The offense really isn't the problem with this team, and special teams are okay to good, the glaring problem is clearly the defense - which is frustrating because Mac and Baer combined have like 30-40 years of experience coaching D. I can only assume the problem is talent and depth.

I wouldn't say #1 concern, but they were certainly a big question mark. The improvement was the story of the 2014 team...no other unit performed as well and consistently improved. I'm expecting good things in 2015. The offense really isn't the problem with this team, and special teams are okay to good, the glaring problem is clearly the defense - which is frustrating because Mac and Baer combined have like 30-40 years of experience coaching D. I can only assume the problem is talent and depth.

Baer did a tremendous job of covering up the defensive weaknesses. Depth eventually caught up in every game. No defensive ends, thin D-line and poor linebacker depth is what killed the defense. Coaches get A+ for scheming out of weakness.

Baer did a tremendous job of covering up the defensive weaknesses. Depth eventually caught up in every game. No defensive ends, thin D-line and poor linebacker depth is what killed the defense. Coaches get A+ for scheming out of weakness.

Oh boy. Did you watch the defense this year? No way A+ should be mentioned with that performance.

Oh boy. Did you watch the defense this year? No way A+ should be mentioned with that performance.
I see both points...they did an admirable job scheming with the injuries, limited talent and lack of experience...but an A+ is not earned considering we actually got worse in some categories. It will take 2 years for this to become an effective defense IMO.

The defensive coaches get a pass for the talent and on-field play? Must be nice.

Looking forward to seeing Miller at LT. But Irwin will probably be the starter at LT. Haigler will probably need a grey shirt, 6'7" 255 pounds is really skinny.

what the f

Looking forward to seeing Miller at LT. But Irwin will probably be the starter at LT. Haigler will probably need a grey shirt, 6'7" 255 pounds is really skinny.

Issac Miller?

Great kid who is at least two years away from seeing the field for CU. probably more like three years.

The talent was severely lacking...no pass...they did a tremendous job disguising the holes in the depth chart.

You realize many of those starters were recruited by MacIntyre/Baer... right? And how did they disguise the holes in the depth chart? By being one of the very worst defenses in the country? Damn, it is a good thing none of our opponents caught on.

why do you think CSU won? They ran over the two FRESHMAN defensive ends. Who gives a **** who recruited who? There was no team when the current staff got here. I agree the defense sucked but it could have been much much worse. I still say staff did more with less. For homos er homers you sure are a negative lot.

why do you think CSU won? They ran over the two FRESHMAN defensive ends. Who gives a **** who recruited who? There was no team when the current staff got here. I agree the defense sucked but it could have been much much worse. I still say staff did more with less. For homos er homers you sure are a negative lot.

Really??? Weak sauce, man. Your original premise, that our issues on defense were more about the personnel and where they are in their development as opposed to scheming, is a reasonable one. Stuff like this just erodes your credibility.

That's really too bad. Baer did such a great job of disguising his lack of talent on defense by having one of the worst defenses in college football. Where would he have ever been without him?

Back