What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2013 Oregon @ Colorado "Game" Thread

Could've been a little better Webb dropped what should've been a sure INT. Wood through 2 INTs when he had no business throwing the ball. Also, didn't we run the ball 3 straight times in the red zone before settling for FG's? But, frankly, they could've put 80 on our defense. No pass rush, poor tackling and blown coverage. Can't do that.

Listened to Mac after the game and he was mor upbeat than last week. He felt like we can build on some things. He said he has to coach better and specifically said he has to work with the secondary. I liked the style of coaching in the first half.

I assume it's the typical late arriving crowd. They're expecting ~47k today.
We entered around 4:00 and there was a ****load of people outside the gate waiting in line. A ton of people kept coming up the aisle after kickoff. It was irritating.

U come into a new era and are not quite up to par. The year Young and them won, Denver played their ass about as well as anyone. It was Shanny's first year, mentality was already set by that point, I watched the game. We might have played the national champs tonight and didn't have the horses to compete. Unless we get that onside, that pick, stop that long 3rd, we had no shot in hell. Those are the type questions that winning teams don't have to ask. It's a process Tante, pure and simple. Our HC came under some pretty damn good ones, not gonna say the rest cause I know what will come of it on this board.

The game Luke is referencing happened in 1994. The coach got fired at the end of that season.

U come into a new era and are not quite up to par. The year Young and them won, Denver played their ass about as well as anyone. It was Shanny's first year, mentality was already set by that point, I watched the game. We might have played the national champs tonight and didn't have the horses to compete. Unless we get that onside, that pick, stop that long 3rd, we had no shot in hell. Those are the type questions that winning teams don't have to ask. It's a process Tante, pure and simple. Our HC came under some pretty damn good ones, not gonna say the rest cause I know what will come of it on this board.
i guess, to understand what you're talking about, I'd have to go back and read every post in this thread, :lol:

So we'll win a super bowl in 19 years then.

He is saying we are going to fire HCMM. Win back to back national championships and 15 years later Peyton Manning's son will transfer from Indiana and lead a high powered offense.

Absolutely perfect day in Boulder today. High fifties and not a cloud in the sky. Went with my buddy Beavis the Gimp. I bought a handicapped seat for the Beav, and 1 for me. They screwed it up, naturally, so Beavis went into his usual routine, which is to say he was good natured and cool about it. They upgraded us into the Flatirons Club, 40 yard line at the top of the 1st level. I don't want to guess how much they cost. At any rate, perfect weather, and the Buffs played pretty well in the 1st half. There were some things they did that I was happy about, and we lost 57-16, which was better than my 59-14 prediction.

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch the game today, was out with the wife and kids and we had a car problem so got home and I am watching the game right now.

A couple of big points.

Oregon is good, good, good. They don't just have speed although they have speed that is ridiculous. They have some very skilled guys. It's hard to play their offense because they can beat you doing so many things. They are also very fast on defense. Plays that would be open against other teams get filled because they recover so quick.

Despite getting blown out, and we got blown out, we actually looked like a college football team in the process, different than last year.

You can't say that a few plays here or there would have changed the game. Yes getting the ball on the pooch KO or catching a ball or making a tackle would have changed the scoreboard, we would have lost by 50 something to 20 something instead of 57-16 but we stil would not have ever been a threat to be close.

Even with this we had a lot of plays throughout the game where we looked like we belonged on the same field as Oregon. We throughout the game looked like a team that was involved in the game, that believed it could do things on the field against a team like Oregon. After last year where we looked like we were just flat giving up sometimes before the game even started this is a huge step forward.

Wood took a big step forward after a terrible week. His stats don't look good but in the first half he made some plays, The first half INT on the throw-away was just bad but the one on the screen was Goodsens fault, he has to make that block and the QB has to assume he will make the block. Oregons DBs can cover so when they know you are going to pass your stats aren't going to be great.

Our running game needs some major work. Pow finally looked a bit like the Pow of last year but Atkins in his few attempts didn't look great coming off last weeks break out, he did have a nice reception and run. The biggest problem is that our OL doesn't consistently make room for the backs to run in. Munyer and Handler inside are not getting it done, they get run over, beat, or just wiff their blocks way to often. Most teams count on their seniors to set the standard but that isn't happening here.

Some of our young guys do look like the have "it." On a lot of plays our best players are freshmen, says something about the older guys on the team and about the freshmen..

If M2 can keep this team playing with this attitude they will win again this year. At this time last year we knew that short another team completely self-destructing we had no chance.

The game Luke is referencing happened in 1994. The coach got fired at the end of that season.
Yep and everybody knew it was coming, everybody knew who was coming in. Not about superbowls, pardon the analogy. We need a face of the team, we have one but not at qb. We need more speed, size, and atheleticism. Stop me when I sound like Bigbang lol. For real, I don't buy one bit that CU couldn't be top 10 yearly, it seems low on the to do list to me from afar. Cash strapped, yeah ok.

Last edited:
I DEMAND A RECOUNT! Just watched espin's "Top 10." PRich didn't make it with his phenomenal one handed catch. BS I SAY!!!!!! Of course, it was on the PAC 12 network and not one of espn's. The douches. :lol:

Last edited:
BTW, what do y'all think of all these uni changes? Especially teams going away from scool colors? (Oh, and I'm not a fan of the "flat" helmets. I prefer shiny.)

BTW, what do y'all think of all these uni changes? Especially teams going away from scool colors? (Oh, and I'm not a fan of the "flat" helmets. I prefer shiny.)

Everybody wearing black and showing up with christmas ornament helmets.

i guess, to understand what you're talking about, I'd have to go back and read every post in this thread, :lol:

I do not like the "uni craze". Miss the traditional look of foes and historical powerhouse's. ND uni's were absurd in AZ St. Game.

I may have to post more points after reading the full thread, but I thought of something and I don't want to forget.

We were beaten badly today, and we knew that would happen. Who have we ever played that was better than this Oregon team? The list cannot be very big. UO is a very very good team.

With that said......CU played hard. I think we surprised alot of people the first half. We looked like we were just as good as any team they have played so far. Still a long way to go, but here is what struck me yesterday.

Last year, almost EVERY TEAM WE PLAYED LOOKED LIKE OREGON AGAINST US. Teams that were not that good were pulling starters in the second quarter. Our defense looked better in a big loss than they did in the win last year almost.

We are seeing improvement. The kids can see that the coaches ran a gameplan to try to get a lead. Unfortunately we don't have the horses to run with a team of that caliber. Not close. But I can see still a couple more wins this year. Still could win 4 I think (makeup game and Cal are best possibilities) and then if they keep improving and fighting, ASU, UA, USC are not hope hopers like last year. If we need Utah for bowl eligibility I would love that game (they look good too, but would love to see the fight we would put up). Hell, UCLA sometimes plays down to its competition

Regarless if we win two, three, four or miracle into fighting for a lowest level bowl, I see a greatly improved team. Sad that they can be do much better than last year, and still be so far behind a team like Oregon. But.....hope is there. They are so much better to watch this year than last.

I think I actually see less games now that we have a national network. Get the deal done Larry Scott.

Reading the threads it sounds like we started pretty well? Do you guys think that MM will turn that into a "we beat ourselves type motivation?"

Also what is up with the 33% completion rate. That is terrible. What caused it? Too much pressure? Poor decisions?

The Buff performance against the Ducks triggered mixed emotions.
i hate, hate, hate the fact Oregon was able to hang 57 points on CU in Folsom. It's our house.

Moral victories are a leaky shelter for losers.

But this loss is not the fault of Mike MacIntyre and his coaching staff. The play calling was aggressive and clearly made for an entertaining first quarter. CU knew that stopping Oregon wouldn't be easy, so the plan was to go up tempo, unleash bombs from Connor to Richardson, and attempt to match Oregon score for score. Anyone tuning in early came away with a favorable impression of the Buffs. After all, CU took the lead and was competitive in all phases for the first 13 minutes. The coaches used the talent assembled to put the team in the best position to win. There is enough footage in the first quarter of time to impress a recruit. But then the dam broke.

This loss is also not the fault of the players, who found themselves facing an enormous talent gap against a legitimate Heisman candidate QB and arguably the best team CU has faced since the 2005 MNC Vince Young led Longhorns. CU's red zone offense breaks down when the Oline and RBis get abused by better athletes. Connor Wood shows flashes of greatness, but lacks consistency and is prone to throw interceptions when the pressure is on. A few catchable balls were dropped. A few picks are turned into quick Oregon scores. The offense breaks down when its first and goal. No team can afford to settle for field goals against a team like Oregon who will answer with TDs.

As a CU fan, there is reason for hope and a call for more patience. This is a measurably better team over last year and the most enjoyable team to wear a Buff uniform since the 2007 squad that beat a ranked Oklahoma team and ultimately played in the Independence Bowl.

But I'm not feeling particularly patient nor hopeful this morning. The Buffs are a .500 team that is hard pressed to earn any conference victory. (I'm looking at Cal and ?) A bowl game still appears out of reach.

Mostly I'm pissed that Bill McCartney's hall of fame football legacy has been allowed to stagnate and plummet to such depths. Seeing all those former players on the field to recognize Coach Mac's accomplishment punctuated this gloomy sentiment.

The deliberate neglect and de-emphasis on football excellence by the residents of regent hall and the Denver president's office is what got us here. It's bitterly disappointing that it took so damn long for CU's dispassionate football fan administrators to finally hire Rick George and Mike MacIntyre to begin the repair of the very Ferrari that they are responsible for destroying. Better late than never, right?

Somehow I'd feel better on the day after the smackdown if Phil DiStephano announced his retirement, George Solich and Bruce Benson announced a facilities improvement groundbreaking event, and the Regents agree to forgive some athletic department debt.

Some more accountability in leadership would be a great hair of the dog this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I actually see less games now that we have a national network. Get the deal done Larry Scott.

Reading the threads it sounds like we started pretty well? Do you guys think that MM will turn that into a "we beat ourselves type motivation?"

Also what is up with the 33% completion rate. That is terrible. What caused it? Too much pressure? Poor decisions?

1st Q was awesome. Definitely played to win there.

Wood was getting pressured all game. But he just holds on to the ball wayyyyy too long. Both of his INT's were absolutely poor decisions and he got bailed out by Oregon drops on others. He also took a 15 yard sack. WTF? He overthrew a wide open PRich in the endzone too. Not pleased with Wood at all.

1st Q was awesome. Definitely played to win there.

Wood was getting pressured all game. But he just holds on to the ball wayyyyy too long. Both of his INT's were absolutely poor decisions and he got bailed out by Oregon drops on others. He also took a 15 yard sack. WTF? He overthrew a wide open PRich in the endzone too. Not pleased with Wood at all.

That throw to PRich sucked. So did the interceptions. He has such a nice long ball, but it gets sketchy on the shorter balls that require touch--especially when there's pressure.

Did anyone else watch Helfrich? Dude looked like he was going to have a panic attack on the sideline.... he struck me as really weird

That throw to PRich sucked. So did the interceptions. He has such a nice long ball, but it gets sketchy on the shorter balls that require touch--especially when there's pressure.

He reminds me of some basketball players. If he misses some of those touch throws early, it really throws him off for the rest of the game. If he hits a good groove early, he plays with a lot more confidence. Need to get him some "high percentage" passes early in the game to try and get him going.

That throw was awful, and it almost nailed a cheerleader in the face

Sent from a red light

Back