What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2014 Colorado @ Georgia Basketball Game Thread ***

Good reminders, the Kansas win especially was big. You make good points Still, I think Tad's program has gained enough respect that 20 wins is the main criteria to get in. There would be some significant conference wins in that total. Certainly good results in Hawaii would help. I consider CSU a 'given' at home. Also, I continue to view 'the collapse' last year as simply the start of conference play, where half the games are on the road. We'll soon see - the team is almost the same as last year's, excepting of course Spencer's input to the Kansas win.
Sorry, but you're a ****ing moron if you consider CSU a given at this point.

Good reminders, the Kansas win especially was big. You make good points Still, I think Tad's program has gained enough respect that 20 wins is the main criteria to get in. There would be some significant conference wins in that total. Certainly good results in Hawaii would help. I consider CSU a 'given' at home. Also, I continue to view 'the collapse' last year as simply the start of conference play, where half the games are on the road. We'll soon see - the team is almost the same as last year's, excepting of course Spencer's input to the Kansas win.

20 wins doesn't mean squat if it doesn't involve a selection of quality wins to back it up. Our OOC isn't very strong and neither is our conference. The Pac12 is not a good league this year, we're not going 6 or 7 deep Dancing. We're going more like 4 or 5.

Actually the Buffs are on track to repeat last season - 20 wins, mid to upper conference position, ncaa tournament with loss in first or (if fortunate) second round.

20 wins doesn't lock you into the tournament. You need quality wins, which to this point we have zero. The DC is really our only change to get quality wins before Conference play starts. I'd say odds are fairly decent the team is 9-3 or worse heading into OOC

There is a lot of basketball to be played, and they can turn it around, but it has to be concerning that we don't get consistent offensive production outside of Ski, XJ and Scott.

You're right. Spencer didnt do jack **** at moby last year, and we won because of someone else on the team. He scored 19 in the 2nd half, had at least 2 made ft's at the end, and dished out 2 key assists to jhop during the 2nd half run while we took control of the game. without spencer, we dont win at moby (Or a lot of others, as proven by 'the collapse' as you call it).

I think they have a good shot at winning wednesday, but ONLY because the game is at home. if it was in foco this year I'd say not a chance.

It's obviously too early for "must-win", but as this is a monumental game. Eustachy is going to do a good job with CSU this year, they'll be a decent win in the end. We've simply got to get this. CSU would be a start for adding meat to our resume and I believe San Fran will prove decent in the WCC and be a reasonable W to have. In Hawaii, we need to bag ourselves a win against a Big Dance squad. That means beat George Washington or find our way to a meeting with Nebraska. Playing Wichita State has its benefits even with a presumed loss.

In the Pac12, Arizona, Utah, UCLA, Washington and Stanford are the opportunities for quality top 50ish wins. Cal and hopefully another 1 or 2 will allow for top 100 W's. What worries me most about this Pac12 and CU's **** road play is the possibility of sub-100 losses. We've got to take care of the cellar dwellers on the road. These bottom Pac teams are far worse than Georgia or Wyoming, there's no excuse.

And we need Georgia and Wyoming to win and keep winning. I think both Georgia and Wyoming will do well for themselves in conference play. Outside of Kentucky, there's not a single team Georgia can't beat in the SEC. Same type of deal in the MWC, outside of SDSU, CSU and Wyoming can beat anyone. There was hope that Auburn would be more mid-tier SEC instead of awful. Unfortunately they're currently awful. However, Pearl can coach and I wouldn't be surprised if they show some solid improvement as we move into conference play. It's not like the SEC lacks in offering winnable games.

Last edited:
I still think we should push the ball most of the time, our guys look clueless in half court O. XJ looked his best out running the floor. Push it, nothing there, dump it inside to Josh and run the O through him. One thing that definitely has to get better is post entry, these guys are terrible at it. I'd pressure full court a lot too, we have numbers. It's hard but it's fun basketball.

We are going to beat the hell out of them

Considering your track record on predictions, I think it's still fair for everyone to be nervous.

Honestly, I said all off-season that as long as we won the games we should, and lost the games we should, I wasn't going to panic. And we're right at the record I thought we would be right now. I thought we'd lose at Wyoming and at Georgia and win the others. The problem is that there have been some warning signs that we're not on the right track so far. The thing that makes me both the most nervous and the most optimistic about a recovery though is the fact that, IMO, almost all of our issues seem to be from coaching/scheme so far - not execution. So if we can get that cleaned up, we can get back on track.

Where did I say they'd roll over? We are still going to beat the hell out of them at home.

Just. Stop. Weren't you screaming how we were going to beat the hell out of CSU in football, and on and on and on about how Colorado was going to do this, and how Colorado was going to do that? Your mindless rah-rah gets so old some times.

Just. Stop. Weren't you screaming how we were going to beat the hell out of CSU in football, and on and on and on about how Colorado was going to do this, and how Colorado was going to do that? Your mindless rah-rah gets so old some times.
Sorry I'm confident at home against CSU. They are midgets with no depth. Why would I not be confident at home?

Sorry I'm confident at home against CSU. They are midgets with no depth. Why would I not be confident at home?

For ****'s sake. 30 seconds of research, that's all it takes.

KenPom height - CU is 78" (25th), CSU is 77.7" (58th).

CUCSU
6-26-0
6-26-2
6-26-2
6-36-3
6-36-3
6-56-4
6-66-5
6-66-6
6-76-7
6-76-7
6-76-8
6-96-8
6-96-10
6-106-10

They're taller than USF though, so I guess you're at least moving in the right direction.

Tini, stop being a lazy sunshine pumper, goddamit. You need to rebuild some credibility.

And as for the depth, going off of KenPom minutes played percentages, CU has 9 guys who are playing 30% or more per game. CSU has 8 - and their 9th is their transfer PG who has been hurt. So both teams are basically running the same bench rotation.

Tini, stop being a lazy sunshine pumper, goddamit. You need to rebuild some credibility.
Get killed when I don't use stats. Get killed when I do. But snow, was I being a lazy sunshine pumping yesterday after the game talking about the relationship between our home and road assist:turnover splits.

According to KenPom, their most three frequent lineup has on one player over 6'8"...

Like I said last week, we will see after the game.

Last edited:
Get killed when I don't use stats. Get killed when I do. But snow, was I being a lazy sunshine pumping yesterday after the game talking about the relationship between our home and road assist:turnover splits.

Like I said last week, we will see after the game.

that's because you don't use them properly. **** man, this isn't rocket science. If you're going to say something like "they're midgets", spend 30 seconds and look at the damn roster. That alone would have told you you were wrong. KenPom just confirmed it.

that's because you don't use them properly. **** man, this isn't rocket science. If you're going to say something like "they're midgets", spend 30 seconds and look at the damn roster. That alone would have told you you were wrong. KenPom just confirmed it.
Effective Height
CU: 56
CSU: 176

Now that I'm done yelling at Tini I'm going to once again state that it's defense that lost us this game. Odd when we only gave up 64 points and our offense was so inept that we only had two players above 100 in ORtg yesterday, but their bigs killed us. Thornton was a beast down low and he made Tory look every bit of the freshman that he is. This is why I'm big on Tory in the future but planning on spot minutes at best for him right now. It's just not fair when a fifth year senior who is that skilled goes against a frosh. Unfortunately, DT was too skinny to handle Thornton down low as well. Josh & Wes did an ok job on them, but Wes had to sit for part of the first half (I believe it was fouls) and that's when Thornton got going. By the time we got Jelly on him, it was too late.

I'm going to sound like a damn broken record and keep harping on the switching on the PnR's at the three point line with our bigs as well. JJ Frazier was 3-for-3 from 3 yesterday and all were wide open. In fact, a a team, Georgia shot 44% from 3. That's completely unacceptable - and 13% above our season average. Not to mention that there were numerous times that we would play great defense for 28 seconds and then foul with 7 seconds left on the shot clock. We can handle ****ty offensive games - lord knows we've done it a lot the last 3 years - but not when our defense is this bad.

EDIT - just looked it up and we gave up 1.02 ppp on D yesterday. Season average after yesterday is 97.3 (I want to say it was around 95 prior to the game, but math is hard so I'm just guessing).

#tadball fail. Two road games in a row where our D has been real real bad for long stretches. Given that Tad is a mediocre offensive coach, very troubling.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of seeing all these local articles that talk about the Buffs pushing the pace and "looking" to run all game, only to see the Buffs walk it up. Tad seems to be a great recruiter, but an awful offensive coach, and he's got away with being bad offensively thanks to Spencer, Burks, and even Carlon Brown and Cory Higgins to a certain extent. We no longer have that kind of athlete/slasher to get the offense going.

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of seeing all these local articles that talk about the Buffs pushing the pace and "looking" to run all game, only to see the Buffs walk it up. Tad seems to be a great recruiter, but an awful offensive coach, and he's got away with being bad offensively thanks to Spencer, Burks, and even Carlon Brown and Cory Higgins to a certain extent. We no longer have that kind of athlete/slasher to get the offense going.

what pisses me off more if the lack of defense and rebounding by our team, something that Tad talks about constantly and we know he spends time with in practice.

You're right. Spencer didnt do jack **** at moby last year, and we won because of someone else on the team. He scored 19 in the 2nd half, had at least 2 made ft's at the end, and dished out 2 key assists to jhop during the 2nd half run while we took control of the game. without spencer, we dont win at moby (Or a lot of others, as proven by 'the collapse' as you call it).

I think they have a good shot at winning wednesday, but ONLY because the game is at home. if it was in foco this year I'd say not a chance.

Did I mention Spencer & CSU last year? But it makes the point - tremendous effort required to squeak out a road win. Yes, I'm calling the game for CU only because it's a home game, which also makes it a 'given' in my mind as the Buffa only lose at home to really good teams. Nothing against the Rams, hope they win the rest of their games after Wednesday, but their only decent win was squeaking by utep at home.

Last year's Buff team had an average 18-point differential when they played the same conference team twice. Every spread was better at home, ranging from 4 to 43 points. I'll be surprised if the Buffa don't win this one by 15-20 points.

And I didn't call it a collapse, was quoting someone else. I called it 'the start of conference play and a bunch of road games'.

waving a magic wand isn't going to make us a better 3 pt shooting team, we are not going to win road games that way. ski attacking the rim gets stuffed more often than not, he's too small. this team will have to grind out wins with rebounding and defense.

Back