What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2014 Lipscomb @ Colorado Basketball Game Thread ***

Yes they do when they need to in order to win. Right now this teams biggest issues are around getting the pieces to gel it would be counter productive to make a significant defensive adjustment in order to win by 20 instead of 10.

And continue to get burned by 3 and have it cost us instead of using our size and physicality in forcing drives.

Why do we always seem to struggle covering three pointers? Is it a product of our defensive scheme where we're more focused on getting rebounds and staying in position, a lack of hustle, execution, something else?

I'm a lot more worried about our offense. I know we scored a lot of points, but we just look completely lost for large portions of games. We don't really have anyone that seems capable of making their own offensive opportunities and if teams deny Jelly, we don't really have any answer at all. We need to figure something out quickly.

And continue to get burned by 3 and have it cost us instead of using our size and physicality in forcing drives.

Look you know as much about basketball as most guys on this board and I know your frustrated with the game as it was an ugly one. But that is who Boyle is he's not going to focus on 3pt defense until he feels our interior defense is at the level he wants. Boyle has dozens if not hundreds of times said "no lay-ups" I dont think he's ever once said "no threes."

Right now the team has a number of issues: defensively, offensively, in the rotations; until those are figured out Boyle isnt going to go tinkering with our 3pt defense. That is just who he is, it is who we are: No lay-ups, no easy buckets, box-out, rebound. All things Boyle harps on repeatedly. I'll see if I can dig up the shot charts but Lipscomb shot 41% from inside the arc according to ESPN, Boyle is far more likely to be on his teams ass about that than a team that shot 39% from three.

We face a lot of lucky teams from 3 in recent years then.

If i get bored at work I'll go back over the 3 NCAA seasons and see what the numbers look like versus W's as well as interior shooting % and rebounding, obviously Baylor sticks in all of our minds.

Numbers haven't been updated by some of the stat sites and sports books yet, but through 4 games CU was in the top-25 in the country defending the three. And incidentally was allowing one of the highest numbers of 3's attempted per game at 25.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/518

With today figured in we'd be at:
131 pt attempts against
38 Made
29% opp shooting %

Through 4 games we were #12 in the country in opp shooting % and will see that change to:
102 made
286 attempts
35.5% opp shooting %

which on %'s would rank us around 26-28

Statistics are for losers. :lol:

Well, we won and you are complaining about a bad individual stat from this game.

In all honesty though it does seem like we get burned by a great 3pt shooting performance a couple times a season. I'd like to see if that perception is reality but that is a lot of #'s to crunch.

Tad did mention the 3s made by Lipscomb. He was basically bummed about the defense in general.

I got a bit irritated in the second half watching all those bombs drop. But that's who they are - they live from behind the arc.

Tad may not change defensive philosophy, but this game might be a good teaching opportunity. There was a lack of defensive intensity, such as fighting through screens and not giving up offensive rebounds.
I'm pretty sure these will be addressed in the film room and the practice court.

It did appear that there was a more concerted effort to run the offense through the post, based on what I've read about earlier games. This is the first time I've seen them play this year, so I don't have a good reference point for comparison. Feel free to chime in and let me know if I'm wrong.

Didn't play defense the last 25 minutes of the game.

Other than that, I saw a lot of great signs:

* The reports of Ski's demise were greatly exaggerated
* XJ continues with consistent performances
* Josh is a manimal
* Ball movement is starting to resemble an offense. I saw feeds to the high post, skip passes, back cuts getting the ball passed to them and even a pick & roll layup. Lots of progress on offense today. I think we finished with 20 assists.

Also, I wanted to mention something XJ said in his post-game interview. Pretty sure he was quoting Ski from the locker room and it was a great comment about team unity and leadership. Basically, the message was that the team was up 24 points and that coasting from that point instead of hustling for loose balls & doing what it takes to get stops on defense is incredibly selfish... because failing to do so prevents the walk ons from getting rewarded for all they do with some minutes of game action. I thought it was a telling statement because it clearly resonated with XJ to the point that he repeated it on Mark Johnson's post-game show.

Also, I wanted to mention something XJ said in his post-game interview. Pretty sure he was quoting Ski from the locker room and it was a great comment about team unity and leadership. Basically, the message was that the team was up 24 points and that coasting from that point instead of hustling for loose balls & doing what it takes to get stops on defense is incredibly selfish... because failing to do so prevents the walk ons from getting rewarded for all they do with some minutes of game action. I thought it was a telling statement because it clearly resonated with XJ to the point that he repeated it on Mark Johnson's post-game show.

Wow. Whoever said that is pretty damn sharp.

Thanks for posting that.

Well, we won and you are complaining about a bad individual stat from this game.

In all honesty though it does seem like we get burned by a great 3pt shooting performance a couple times a season. I'd like to see if that perception is reality but that is a lot of #'s to crunch.
Oh pshaw!

I am curious as to why you thought it was something Ski had echoed earlier. Is this just a hunch or something else?

I am curious as to why you thought it was something Ski had echoed earlier. Is this just a hunch or something else?

I thought XJ said it was something Ski said, but didn't catch it clearly so I wasn't 100% sure.

Back