What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2014 UW @ Colorado Basketball Game thread ***

I guess I saw a different game. I thought they played with a ton of energy, especially in the first half. They just had no one who could compete inside with UDub's big guys with Josh and XJ out. They had good ball movement and penetration, but they were afraid of that Upshaw guy. He does average almost five blocks a game. My big problem was that everyone was afraid to take even an open shot. It's pretty clear that Tad sent Eli in with the instruction to "Shoot a GD three ball, I don't care if it's an airball."

I taped the game and watched the second half when I got home. I sit in the NW corner so UW was playing offense on the other side of the court in the second half. Man, do they push off a lot. Every drive is started by a stiff arm or an elbow to the chest. I thought that was supposed to closely called, or was that just for last year?

Remember Aaron Craft of Ohio State? He used to call a team huddle about 20 times during a game, even before just free throws. When was the last time you saw a CU player call even one? When they had the shot clock problem (called an inadvertent buzzer on TV, but the shot clock wasn't running) they were all just standing around until Tad screamed at them to come to the sideline for some instruction. That's the one thing that kills me about this team.

Last edited:
I guess I saw a different game. I thought they played with a ton of energy, especially in the first half. They just had no one who could compete inside with UDub's big guys with Josh and XJ out. They had good ball movement and penetration, but they were afraid of that Upshaw guy. He does average almost five blocks a game. My big problem was that everyone was afraid to take even an open shot. It's pretty clear that Tad sent Eli in with the instruction to "Shoot a GD three ball, I don't care if it's an airball."

Agreed with this - Tad threw them under the bus post game about lack of attacking the zone and I don't get it. JHop did a great job attacking the zone, the ball movement did stagnate at times against the zone, but it is so much improved and the overall energy they showed was great. This team was struggling with XJ and Scott no reason to think they're going to magically click without them.

haven't read the thread, can only guess the general tone, but man, one of the least impressive outputs of energy I've seen since I started following CU hoops. my buddy remarked during the 1st half, "that's some lackadaisical basketball down there"

THIS. Folks in my section were commenting that last night's effort was one of the worst in a decade. Not one player looks like they have any real desire to make a play. CU hoops is it's own version of Jim Rome's Triple U right now: Uninspired, Under confident, Under achieving.

I didn't see it. They had guys running through the lane all night. The idea is to draw the attention of the big guy(s) on the other team and pass off to your own big guys for easy buckets. But those big guys just weren't there last night. Even if you're 6'6" with Jaron's hops, you're not going to get the ball past a seven footer who can jump out of the gym.

THIS. Folks in my section were commenting that last night's effort was one of the worst in a decade. Not one player looks like they have any real desire to make a play. CU hoops is it's own version of Jim Rome's Triple U right now: Uninspired, Under confident, Under achieving.

Your section doesn't understand TadBall - it isn't pretty, it's ugly, the first half was vintage TadBall.

Didn't see the game, had to listen only. Did UW scoring problems seem more their ineptitude or Buff defensive effort? Tad did suggest post-game that a strong defensive effort might have cost the Buffs some offensive energy.

Didn't see the game, had to listen only. Did UW scoring problems seem more their ineptitude or Buff defensive effort? Tad did suggest post-game that a strong defensive effort might have cost the Buffs some offensive energy.

Buff defense played very well the entire game. Our offense struggled against their zone with out XJ and J40.

Buff defense played very well the entire game. Our offense struggled against their zone with out XJ and J40.

JHop finally started showing some of what [MENTION=2261]Rugged[/MENTION] has been wanting to see out of him for a while. He was gliding through the zone at times.

JHop finally started showing some of what [MENTION=2261]Rugged[/MENTION] has been wanting to see out of him for a while. He was gliding through the zone at times.

JHop finally started showing some of what @Rugged has been wanting to see out of him for a while. He was gliding through the zone at times.

He needs to really start watching some game film of Burks. He has that kind of game. May never be that prolific of a scorer but he has the athleticism to be a force slashing through the paint.

Everyone one here claimed they wanted Collier instead of Perkins

I wasn't on the board then is why I ask, I would occasionally stop by and read comments. Perkins would've been starting from day 1 here, I hope Collier is ready to hit the weight room in the offseason.

They just didn't get many easy buckets. They were outscored by 12 in the paint, IIRC, and most all of those came from putbacks from Wes after offensive rebounds. They didn't come from the regular flow of the offense. That left us with nothing but an outside game, and unfortunately we don't have much of that sort of game. Ski had a horrible offensive game, but he was being asked to do an awful lot. I think he played the entire second half without a break.

Speaking of that, do you realize that UDub only played six guys and two played all 40 minutes? I don't know what the spread is for Utah, but it seems like it should be easy money.

I wasn't on the board then is why I ask, I would occasionally stop by and read comments. Perkins would've been starting from day 1 here, I hope Collier is ready to hit the weight room in the offseason.

Dom may have started this year too if he didn't have the ankle injury that put him way behind or the wrist injury that has affected his shot.

Yeah, and XJ should get a haircut that you can set your watch to. Like Johnny Unitas'.

"Too Much Passion" is not a problem this team has...

I really enjoyed his passion last night when he was shaking hands and chest bumping Wash players, while wearing a big smile after we lost a heart breaker. I feel like I would lose it more as a coach at that point then watching guys not get back on D or not putting out effort. I wonder if XJ is close to being able to graduate early? Something just doesn't seem right with the chemistry on this team, and with the issues that have happened off court, I feel like he may be a big part of the problem. Let me add that I have no "inside info" on any of his issues this year, but I did hear about all the issues last year like another poster talked about in the XJ suspension thread. Only reason I ask about graduating early, is because of the option of him choosing to go elsewhere for his final year of eligibility.

I could have sworn I heard the same comments from Tad after a few other losses.

We were right there at the end
Just needed a few more stops
Great effort

I am getting tired of seeing our guys stand around on offense. When you have a player on the opposing team go 40 minutes at altitude, then you are not using it to your advantage. He needs to buy in the getting guys that hustle at both end of the court can be more successful than just playing one end.

So if you are RG, what do you do? This season had been a disaster, do you force Tad to make a chance with one of his assistants? Let him know that .500 is not okay.

I am tired of calling timeouts to set up something then coming out of the timeout and immediately turning the ball over! I was screaming at the TV last night. They had a chance to run the clock down to almost nothing in a tie game and they come out of a timeout with the ball in Hopkins' hands running through the lane like a lost freshman and coughing up the ball! Inexcusable. Boyle needs to have the ball in Ski's hands at all costs. We handed them that game.

Back