What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Going to be tough to attract top assistants for year 4.

Why do we give our WR coach such a pass? Is he not also responible for Texas recruiting?
While our WRs are disciplined and block well, I dont feel we've upgraded the talent level here and it's obvious Spruce is the key guy.
Shay Fields sort of fell to us, but ok. He's ok I guess. Ross and Bobo belong to Embree's last class, along with Dunston, and they have not shown much. We picked up Lee Walker, who doesn't see much PT. JayMac hasn't shown much. Jan is redshirting.

To me, this is the perhaps the most talent deficient gap we have on this team.

I would not be broken up about any of the non-coordinator assistants moving on.

I am more concerned MacIntyre seems to be making up his core recruiting areas as he goes along.

At the beginning of 2012, Steve Sarkisian straight up poached Tosh Lupoi and - yes, this guy - Eric Kiesau from Cal. It was a lateral move but UW put up money to offer both to improve the recruiting for a school that was stagnant coming off a bowl loss and second consecutive 6-loss season. Also were continuing a streak of being their rival Oregon's bitch. We are not close to the level that UW team was, but they had gone 0fer just a few years before with that slide having been driven down by sanctions from the previous decade. Sark identified actively employed coaches at a peer institution and he took them. We need our head coach to be able to pull the same.

I don't see a reason to single any AC out other than Neinas. He stands out from the rest in awfulness. The rest are just regular run of the mill awful. Walters at least hauled in Carr and was the lead guy on Lynott IIRC. What has any of our ACs done that deserve another year? Nothing really.

Sark wasn't on the hotseat. Guess I'm missing your point?

I'm speaking to someone who had been in coaching a decade shorter than MacIntyre who was able to solicit upgrades to the staff and pay them well (money I believe such assistants would be able to get here). MacIntyre was seemingly very safe a year ago and yet all signs point to him being turned down by several candidates in his DC search. I think a head coach's ability to recruit extends to recruiting his coaches too, and while I like the assistants we ended up with I think we could do better across the board, and MacIntyre failing to attract much pulse with his initial CU hires makes it all the more important that he get his next hires right to make up for the lost seasons with a majority of coaches who can't recruit above the record on the field.

There isn't a coach on the staff that I'd be upset to lose outside of Leavitt and Tumpkin.

I don't want to turn over 5+ assistants, though, if RG stays the path with HCMM. I think that's too much discontinuity. But could I see 3 or 4 and it being a very positive thing? Yes.

Walters doesn't get any heat because of Prich, Spruce, and Fields.

Plus he is a average Pac asst surrounded by a horrible to mediocre staff

I'm speaking to someone who had been in coaching a decade shorter than MacIntyre who was able to solicit upgrades to the staff and pay them well (money I believe such assistants would be able to get here). MacIntyre was seemingly very safe a year ago and yet all signs point to him being turned down by several candidates in his DC search. I think a head coach's ability to recruit extends to recruiting his coaches too, and while I like the assistants we ended up with I think we could do better across the board, and MacIntyre failing to attract much pulse with his initial CU hires makes it all the more important that he get his next hires right to make up for the lost seasons with a majority of coaches who can't recruit above the record on the field.

UW made their turnaround in year 1, 2009, when they won 5 games, went 4-5 in conference, and beat USC.
The UW situation in 2012 was way different than CU, last year or this year.

It will be very difficult to hire a proven coach from a peer school (or FBS) in year 4 given this record. It's not a given there is a year 4 in fact.

There isn't a coach on the staff that I'd be upset to lose outside of Leavitt and Tumpkin.

I don't want to turn over 5+ assistants, though, if RG stays the path with HCMM. I think that's too much discontinuity. But could I see 3 or 4 and it being a very positive thing? Yes.

Agree, but I'm not sure who the safe ones would be. Our offense went backwards in my mind. Not sure the stats support that, but I think that they did. I can't really make a good excuse as to why. We didn't lose much that I can remember besides the 2 guards.

Mac definitely got interest in the defensive coordinator position so I don't know where that info is coming from but kacy Rogers was set to become the DC before the jets came in and offered the same position. David Gibbs also had interest but there was concern from the colorado side. Those are two good names and he interviewed DJ Durkin. Sounds like good interest to me.

I also don't know why people think leavitt didn't have options. He was one of the top linebacker coaches in the NFL. He seems like more of a college coach to me so his move to DC made a lot of sense.

Semantics. It just seems like a lame attempt to absolve MM of any fault for hiring 7 SJSU coaches on at CU

Once again I said in my post above it was probably a mistake to bring his whole staff from SJSU but I am only talking about the people he has had to bring in.

Many of their initial choices turned them down - several did not even want to talk. Leavitt was a good hire but he had few options, he was somewhat radioactive on the college front and had lost his NFL job and not getting a lot of offers. Tumpkin was going to be a casualty of Enos leaving CMU and had few options since most teams already filled out their staffs. I know a lot of people on this board like to make Tumpkin as some sort of superstar assistant. I am not convinced that is really the case. When Walters and Neinas were hired both were unemployed. MacIntyre has never gone out and taken a proven coach away from another team.

When MacCartney was HC he had a lot of turnover in his staff but he always knew the type of guys he wanted to bring in and went and got them. Assistants to some extent are reflections of the HC leadership. Look at Saban - he is on like his 4th OC and just keeps winning.

So what your saying is fire everyone and wipe the slate clean? Cause. I think thats I'm hearing.

I would like to see Walters stay. He has been great for our group of WRs.

I think there's a great opportunity to keep the system continuity and hire Kurt Roper as OC.

I really feel like Leavitt is the only coach with a pass right now. After watching the Buffs give up all these 3rd and longs and 4th and longs, I would say shaky ice at that. He gets another year because of the hand he was dealt...but, we as fans deserve to see more. The whole staff should be on notice and I think this is the last week as a Buff for some.

I think there's a great opportunity to keep the system continuity and hire Kurt Roper as OC.
Hadn't heard of him before, so I looked him up.

Good news is that he doesn't seem to be averse to jumping onto a staff with a HC on the hot seat, but why did he leave Duke for the same position at Florida? One would think he could have picked a better spot than that with his resume.

Roper - OC
Chaiverini - ST and Recruiting
Tim Davis - OL

?
I like the idea of shifting Adams to OL and bringing in a rb coach. If we go with a new OL coach id be happy to see Naoele or maybe bring back Grimes who is currently on the Lsu staff. Oregeron could also be available if they shake up the staff.
If we are serious about upgrading the recruiting why not pay him Orgeron the money

Roper and MMac coached together at Ole Miss (pretty sure) and Roper is available. I would be confident that MMac would make the right call there knowing both coaches well.
If this happens I bet it would be a big upgrade. The change could be a good sign for accountability too. I hope we don't stop there the bigger problem on the staff is recruiting. We need to upgrade there. 2 or 3 new recruiters is a must.

Roper and MMac coached together at Ole Miss (pretty sure) and Roper is available. I would be confident that MMac would make the right call there knowing both coaches well.
If this happens I bet it would be a big upgrade. The change could be a good sign for accountability too. I hope we don't stop there the bigger problem on the staff is recruiting. We need to upgrade there. 2 or 3 new recruiters is a must.

They were the two coordinators at Duke in 2008-09.

Roper - OC
Chaiverini - ST and Recruiting
Tim Davis - OL

?

Tim Davis was at Florida in 2013, one of the worst Offensive teams I've ever seen. When Muschamp hired Roper from Duke for 2014, Tim Davis was fired. Not sure the order of what happened first, but I find that funny.

What makes Davis a good candidate? His resume looks weak at first glance.

Tim Davis was at Florida in 2013, one of the worst Offensive teams I've ever seen. When Muschamp hired Roper from Duke for 2014, Tim Davis was fired. Not sure the order of what happened first, but I find that funny.

So which one taught his O-Linemen to block eachother?
rljnirtejyyzs2xpiovt.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32754-1385481047-9.gif

Reactions: SBG

Tim Davis was highly successful while at USC. Players still love him. Seems like he has bounced around a bit lately, so I just viewed him as someone who would be willing to come to CU at this point. I'd take his resume over Bernardi.

Tim Davis was highly successful while at USC. Players still love him. Seems like he has bounced around a bit lately, so I just viewed him as someone who would be willing to come to CU at this point. I'd take his resume over Bernardi.

11 years ago... He is currently the OL coach at Northern Arizona University! Man - you are aiming high!

Back