What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Leavitt (DC & LBs): Improvement across the board on defense and he's got recruiting chops. Keep.

Tumpkin (Safeties): Good recruiter who has done work in FL and got us back into Louisiana. Safeties played well this year. Keep.

Clark (Cornerbacks): Has landed some key recruits and took the initiative to recruit Georgia. His position group was a bright spot. Keep.

Jeffcoat (DLs): Hasn't done much as a recruiter but did seem to have his position group doing ok despite a ton of injuries. 50/50 on this one.

In short, I think you can move forward with the defensive staff and be on a good path. I'm also confident that Leavitt does a good job coaching up his coaches so we'd be fine regardless of if it ends up that a new position coach is brought in or not.

Lindgren (OC & QBs): No recruiting cache and QB development has been mediocre. Doesn't seem to run the offensive staff. More like he's a game planner and play caller. I think we need to bring in at least someone to get a Co-Offensive Coordinator position and manage the offensive staff & sideline substitutions even if Lindgren stays as the primary game planner and the play caller.

Bernardi (OLs): This season from Hawaii through Utah was not up to an acceptable standard. Poor recognition. Poor angles. Lack of fight at times. Bad penalties at bad moments. Bernardi needs to go.

Adams (RBs, FBs & TEs): Solid young coach whose RBs played well and at TE I think we saw Irwin develop a lot this year. I pretty much put him in the Clark camp. Could you upgrade? Maybe. But he's not the problem. I'd like to see reduced position responsibility (see Neinas below).

Walters (WRs & Recruiting Coordinator): I'm not sure why he has been getting a free pass from fans. Fans aren't happy with recruiting, but we don't blame the Recruiting Coordinator. Fans aren't happy with Texas recruiting in particular, but we don't blame the coach who is the main recruiter for Texas. Fans aren't happy with the development of the WRs who aren't named Spruce, but we don't blame the WR coach. I'm not ready to say he has to be fired, but I also don't think it would be much of a loss if he was.

Neinas (ST Coordinator): Poor recruiter and having a dedicated ST Coordinator has not resulted in even average special teams. His group set the tone for the season with the blocked punt at the beginning of the Hawaii game and hasn't looked back. (Same exact mistake repeated itself in another game.) Neinas has to be fired and another coach for the offense needs to be brought in at RB or TE or Inside Receivers or whatever. New guy needs to be a recruiter first.

Chuck's kid needs to go. Abysmal. Tried to punt after scoring, are you kidding me? $200K and doesn't know the rules? Practically anybody would be an upgrade.

Chuck's kid needs to go. Abysmal. Tried to punt after scoring, are you kidding me? $200K and doesn't know the rules? Practically anybody would be an upgrade.
What makes our special teams suckitude so galling is that they make a ridiculous number of mistakes and they dont even try to do anything that risky. We only tried to return about ten punts all season. We never tried to block them. We cant execute an onsides kick, a squib kick, or get a regular kickoff to the end zone. We have to be one of the only teams in college football whose average starting field position after kickoffs is inside the 25. If we had halfway competent special teams today we make utah pay for the way they played.

What makes our special teams suckitude so galling is that they make a ridiculous number of mistakes and they dont even try to do anything that risky. We only tried to return about ten punts all season. We never tried to block them. We cant execute an onsides kick, a squib kick, or get a regular kickoff to the end zone. We have to be one of the only teams in college football whose average starting field position after kickoffs is inside the 25. If we had halfway competent special teams today we make utah pay for the way they played.

Yep.

Regarding today, make that field goal and the final drive if to get a FG to force OT. So I blame STs for a big part of today's loss, too.

Leavitt (DC & LBs): Improvement across the board on defense and he's got recruiting chops. Keep.

Tumpkin (Safeties): Good recruiter who has done work in FL and got us back into Louisiana. Safeties played well this year. Keep.

Clark (Cornerbacks): Has landed some key recruits and took the initiative to recruit Georgia. His position group was a bright spot. Keep.

Jeffcoat (DLs): Hasn't done much as a recruiter but did seem to have his position group doing ok despite a ton of injuries. 50/50 on this one.

In short, I think you can move forward with the defensive staff and be on a good path. I'm also confident that Leavitt does a good job coaching up his coaches so we'd be fine regardless of if it ends up that a new position coach is brought in or not.

Lindgren (OC & QBs): No recruiting cache and QB development has been mediocre. Doesn't seem to run the offensive staff. More like he's a game planner and play caller. I think we need to bring in at least someone to get a Co-Offensive Coordinator position and manage the offensive staff & sideline substitutions even if Lindgren stays as the primary game planner and the play caller.

Bernardi (OLs): This season from Hawaii through Utah was not up to an acceptable standard. Poor recognition. Poor angles. Lack of fight at times. Bad penalties at bad moments. Bernardi needs to go.

Adams (RBs, FBs & TEs): Solid young coach whose RBs played well and at TE I think we saw Irwin develop a lot this year. I pretty much put him in the Clark camp. Could you upgrade? Maybe. But he's not the problem. I'd like to see reduced position responsibility (see Neinas below).

Walters (WRs & Recruiting Coordinator): I'm not sure why he has been getting a free pass from fans. Fans aren't happy with recruiting, but we don't blame the Recruiting Coordinator. Fans aren't happy with Texas recruiting in particular, but we don't blame the coach who is the main recruiter for Texas. Fans aren't happy with the development of the WRs who aren't named Spruce, but we don't blame the WR coach. I'm not ready to say he has to be fired, but I also don't think it would be much of a loss if he was.

Neinas (ST Coordinator): Poor recruiter and having a dedicated ST Coordinator has not resulted in even average special teams. His group set the tone for the season with the blocked punt at the beginning of the Hawaii game and hasn't looked back. (Same exact mistake repeated itself in another game.) Neinas has to be fired and another coach for the offense needs to be brought in at RB or TE or Inside Receivers or whatever. New guy needs to be a recruiter first.
Holy hell, which part of lindgren's play call g has you wanting him back? Is it the 5 rb rotation? The 4 yd out on 3rd and 7? Maybe it's the refusal to throw across the middle or to the te?

Lindgren is #1 on the must go list. Maybe also #2

Neinas and Bernardi have to go regardless. Those two are basically collecting checks at this point. After that, I am not sure what other changes you make. We need recruiters asap.

I don't think Walters is some next level keeper or anything, but idk I have trouble really blaming him for recruiting. When we fail in Texas, is it Walter's fault he has two dead weights with him in Texas, or Mac's for hiring them in the first place?

I'm not opposed to tossing some blame the way of the recruiting coordinator, but I don't think getting a new coordinator in there is suddenly going to make guys like Jeffcoat and Neinas non worthless.

Neinas and Bernardi must go. We must add a ST coach that can coach RBs. I would be fine moving Adams to OL.

We also need to question if Jeffcoat should still be DL coach. Not impressed.

Lindgren has a lot of questions to ask. He was **** inside the 20s. He also is working with a bunch of average MWC level QBs. Maybe Montez is that player who shows his true capabilities.

I think Lindgren should get another year, but he has a lot to figure out between now and then. Every other coach on the offensive side of the ball is expendable IMO.

I think Lindgren should get another year, but he has a lot to figure out between now and then. Every other coach on the offensive side of the ball is expendable IMO.

Curious why you're as supportive as you are for Lindgren. Last year the offense was better, but even then, the sticking point was the QB play. This year, the entire offense took a step back. I'm okay with him being back, but he's squarely in the same boat as every other offensive position coach imo.

Curious why you're as supportive as you are for Lindgren. Last year the offense was better, but even then, the sticking point was the QB play. This year, the entire offense took a step back. I'm okay with him being back, but he's squarely in the same boat as every other offensive position coach imo.

The only reason I can see retaining BL is this: HCMM is coaching for his job next year. He knows this and the coaching community knows this. CU might not be able to upgrade, and continuity will help HCMM keep his job.

Who can we get with Mac on the hot seat? Who is going to make a big career move for the potential of a 1 year gig? There will be some available due to coaching changes and people need a job, but I just wonder who would join Mac's staff right now?

I can't see Mac making a change at OC unless he has strong interest from a clear upgrade. Playbook and scheme continuity might be better suited for a last ditch effort to get a 5th year than starting over with a new OC... Unless of course he's able to pull in an offensive version of JL

I think it is much easier to replace position coaches than coordinators. Lindgren has an uneven record, but not near the "must fire" record of Baer last year.

Not sure why people don't get that lindgren isn't the biggest problem on offense. Less than perfect? Yes. To blame for our ills? He's way back in line. I think upgrading from him would be very difficult

Not sure why people don't get that lindgren isn't the biggest problem on offense. Less than perfect? Yes. To blame for our ills? He's way back in line. I think upgrading from him would be very difficult

Not sure if that was supposed to be directed at me, but I for one have never felt he was the biggest issue, but just never viewed him as irreplaceable. Reasonable minds can differ I suppose.

Dump Bernardi and Neinas for sure, put Walters and Jeffcoat on notice.
I think we are beyond putting coaches on notice. Our recruiting is not cutting it. MMac is a good coach in most areas and could bring us back; but, he needs to start upgrading the staff and emphasizing recruiting. I used to think we needed to change out two coaches now I think maybe four. Neinas definitely, Bernardi and Jeffcoat probably, and Lindgren maybe. I'd love to see Tim Brewster TE & special teams, Hagan RB (move Adams to online), Seumalo DL and possibly Roper OC & QB on the staff next year. Or raid the current USC staff.

If there were boosters willing to in the money to bring in Miles I hope they would be willing to put some money toward upgrading the staff with a few stud assistant coaches. I would love to see us steal a rival PAC 12 coach with ties to SoCal.

Another guy the Buffs could bring back is Bobby Hauck. HC experience at Montana & UNLV. Currently the ST Coordinator at SDSU. Had that position at CU under Neuheisel. Would be a huge upgrade over Neinas. If he came, he'd be able to also work with the OLBs in the 3-4 system.
Hauck was a trainwreck as ST coach here. IF MM goes that route, we're in the same boat... See '98 KSt game in Boulder....

Mike Locksley is the interim head coach at Maryland. It would be great to see CU bring in a coach of his caliber. RB and run game coordinator or recruiting coordinator. He from the DC area; but has coached in Florida Illinois and New Mexico so maybe we could get him to CU

Hauck was a trainwreck as ST coach here. IF MM goes that route, we're in the same boat... See '98 KSt game in Boulder....

I'd take Hauck in a second compared to Neinas. One bad game and you think he's terrible. When at Montana, a two time National Runner up coach and relentless recruiter. UNLV, not as much but has great contacts in Cali. Very driven and organized, and kind of a prick....which is good as a college football coach.

For me it's his lack of game management. That seems to be something very easy to fix or plan for but we still see them making mistakes, calling time outs, wasting valuable time. Drives me nuts.

I agree with El Cunado and mentioned it a few weeks ago but if you're coaching for your life in '16, which MMac is, you probably stick with the continuity and hope injuries don't kill the OL like this year. That being said, Bernardi has got to go and I think a good replacement would do wonders for our execution on O.

Jeffcoat, bye. Neinas should donate half his salary back to CU for as worthless as he is. He has been stealing from CU for the last 3 years.

For me it's his lack of game management. That seems to be something very easy to fix or plan for but we still see them making mistakes, calling time outs, wasting valuable time. Drives me nuts.

I agree with El Cunado and mentioned it a few weeks ago but if you're coaching for your life in '16, which MMac is, you probably stick with the continuity and hope injuries don't kill the OL like this year. That being said, Bernardi has got to go and I think a good replacement would do wonders for our execution on O.

Jeffcoat, bye. Neinas should donate half his salary back to CU for as worthless as he is. He has been stealing from CU for the last 3 years.
:.( Neinas making 250k to suck.

Back