What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Agreed. The number of bowls need to be cut to only allow 8+ win teams in. Reward being above average to good, not completely mediocre, or even below average (for the 5-7 teams that make it).

Just saying 8+ isn't the answer either. An 8 win team in the MWC is likely a much worse team than a 6 win team in a P5 conference.

Make the minimum 7 wins, don't count FCS teams. Don't approve any new bowls and reduce the number of bowls by 2 per year until you are down to about half of what we have now.

Just saying 8+ isn't the answer either. An 8 win team in the MWC is likely a much worse team than a 6 win team in a P5 conference.

Make the minimum 7 wins, don't count FCS teams. Don't approve any new bowls and reduce the number of bowls by 2 per year until you are down to about half of what we have now.
Maybe there needs to be a 6-7 win minimum but then there needs to be a "Selection Sunday" of sorts where a committee selects the teams and matchups from those eligible teams. Lessen the amount of bowl games and make it so not every eligible team gets selected.

Hmmm Fresno seems like a decent fit for Leavitt. He'd have a hard time getting a legit P5 job imo. Too old and too much baggage

Saw that Middle Tennessee beat Missouri yesterday. Their coach, Rick Stockstill, has been there 11 years. He's an older guy I guess, but has a lot of good experience. I wonder why his name doesn't come up for bigger jobs. Or maybe it has and I just didn't notice.

He's older. Their fans actually bitch about him and want him gone, despite all he's done for that program. Perfect example of how delusional fan bases are. He's brought them to bowl games and they've always been a Sun Belt contender.

Maybe there needs to be a 6-7 win minimum but then there needs to be a "Selection Sunday" of sorts where a committee selects the teams and matchups from those eligible teams. Lessen the amount of bowl games and make it so not every eligible team gets selected.

This would be a better way. I think to an extent it should still be up to the bowls who they pick and the traditional tie ins should get a priority.

Some kind of selection process though might help eliminate a few teams that get in each year simply because they travel well and they fatten up their record on a pathetic OOC schedule (yes I'm looking to the northeast of Colorado with that comment.)

Fresno was headed in the wrong direction, but DeRuyer had 3 bowls and 4 seasons (this 5th season admittedly was looking bleak). They were seemingly headed the wrong way, but they wasted little time in pulling the trigger. Is this Sark's chance at not being a drunk? Tedford retirement gig? Can't see Kiffin stooping to MWC, but it is California and a program you can win at...

Is Jim Tressel a viable candidate to get back into the coaching ranks now, or does he still have some form of punishment that would follow him?

A guy like Leavitt has really no questions to be answered. He built a #2 ranked USF program from NO program. Nobody in CFB can match that! Plus his work here.

I always take the "Don't repeat the Dan Hawkins disaster" approach. Dig deep and look for faults and cracks.

Herman
1. Nice job as OC at Iowa State, but not mind blowing.
2. Great run at Ohio State as OC, but under Urban Meyer. I'm always concerned in these situations that pretty much anyone could look good in those types of situations.
3. Only experience as HC is at Houston, where they had a magical 2015 season. But he had NO hand in developing that roster or the talent. First year guy. They have a lot of athletes on that squad. But now, as a Head Coach, whe:re can he take that program or another program? Someone is going to pay him a crap load of money not really knowing what they are getting. Plus, never trust a guy who is a Mensa member. Never.

A guy like Leavitt has really no questions to be answered. He built a #2 ranked USF program from NO program. Nobody in CFB can match that! Plus his work here.

I always take the "Don't repeat the Dan Hawkins disaster" approach. Dig deep and look for faults and cracks.

Herman
1. Nice job as OC at Iowa State, but not mind blowing.
2. Great run at Ohio State as OC, but under Urban Meyer. I'm always concerned in these situations that pretty much anyone could look good in those types of situations.
3. Only experience as HC is at Houston, where they had a magical 2015 season. But he had NO hand in developing that roster or the talent. First year guy. They have a lot of athletes on that squad. But now, as a Head Coach, whe:re can he take that program or another program? Someone is going to pay him a crap load of money not really knowing what they are getting. Plus, never trust a guy who is a Mensa member. Never.

He's still going to have good options, but it won't be a name your job, name your salary type scenario he was looking at. That assumes he finishes strong.

I'm starting to think that teams should be taking a closer look at what Fleck has done at Western Michigan vs Herman at Houston. Western Michigan is a hell of a lot harder to recruit to then Houston, and Fleck built that team from the ground up. Herman took over for Levine who looked mediocre after a string set up by Briles and Sumlin, but I guarantee that team was stocked in comparison to what Fleck had to work with at WMU. WMU is playing against lesser competition in conference, but they are destroying them, and he also has two P5 wins against B1G schools this year as well.

I'm starting to think that teams should be taking a closer look at what Fleck has done at Western Michigan vs Herman at Houston. Western Michigan is a hell of a lot harder to recruit to then Houston, and Fleck built that team from the ground up. Herman took over for Levine who looked mediocre after a string set up by Briles and Sumlin, but I guarantee that team was stocked in comparison to what Fleck had to work with at WMU. WMU is playing against lesser competition in conference, but they are destroying them, and he also has two P5 wins against B1G schools this year as well.

Fleck will get some offers. Normally, I would expect a guy like that to stay in the B1G footprint, but Purdue might be the only school with a vacancy this year.

Weekly reset:

Open jobs:

1. FIU- Ron Turner fired before the leaves turned. Names: Who cares.
2. Purdue- Darrell Hazell fired. Names: early rumor Troy Calhoun of AFA (he has since denied), and practically every B1G assistant out there.
3. Fresno St.- DeRuyter out, former Buff Eric Kiesau the interim.

Highly probable openings:

1. LSU- Les Miles canned. Ed "The Cajun Wild Man" Orgeron at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Herman, Briles.
2. Baylor- Old Man Grobe at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Don't know, but something tells me Dykes may be on their radar.
3. UT-I'll go ahead and add them here, Strong is 3-4 for the third year in a row. I really doubt he will survive.

Won a national championship as an OC, with his backup quarterback. There has been a pretty clear dropoff with the OSU offense since he left.

You could have stopped at "been a coordinator" or "coached at a P5 program". Similarities begin and end with "highly successful G5 head coach".

Is it? Hawkins was one of the hottest names the year we went after him. What's Herman done that Hawkins didn't do?

Hawkins didn't have any deep coaching depth, basically worked as an assistant at Boise and BS'd his way into taking over a well oiled machine.

Herman has deeper experience having served as a P5 coordinator twice and a head coach in a deeper G5 league.

Herman also beat a P5 team in a NY6 bowl game.

Petersen at Boise State is the better comparison, but hey, he did not "build" Boise State either.

Won a national championship as an OC, with his backup quarterback. There has been a pretty clear dropoff with the OSU offense since he left.

He didn't win anything at ISU though as their OC. And Urban won before him and will win after him. So while there's certainly reason to believe he could be the Mensa everyone assumes, there also should be some questions. Houston should not lose to SMU, soundly as they did.

All I'm saying is, there should be a little doubt now. Just like there should have been plenty of doubt with Hawkins.

The Pac12 has plenty of coaches who won more in years 1-2 than they are in years 3-5.

If I'm LSU, I at least approach with some caution. A guy like Larry Fedora has gotten great results everywhere he's been. With LSU talent, I think he could be very dangerous.

Way to completely avoid the argument. The comparison between Herman and Hawkins is AWFUL.

Herman also beat a P5 team in a NY6 bowl game.

Petersen at Boise State is the better comparison, but hey, he did not "build" Boise State either.

Bowl games don't always mean a lot when you're not playing to move ahead in a playoff. It's hard to know what the mindset of each team was going into that and their resolve.

You don't have to be a builder (I didn't mean to imply that if I did) when you take over an LSU or UT-Austin, as they will be talent loaded. He won't be in any sort of rebuilding mode. But you do have to make sure your guy can win 3-5 years down the road as well as with that first & second year inherited talent. Call it a "sustainer" more than a "builder" requirement.

That's where a guy like Mora is a concern. He made Neuheisel's talent competitive right away and he also (seemingly) recruited great talent. But it's year 5 and I don't think 6-3, 6-3, 6-3, 5-4, 1-4 is looking like what most expected after year 1.

And I will use the same metrics with HCMM. He's shown he is great at turning a program from garbage to very good. But now the question will be can he sustain that and find continuous improvement over the long haul? I think the jury is out on that one.

I'm also not arguing that Herman should not be questioned, more just saying his resume absolutely blows Hawkins' resume out of the water.

I'm also not arguing that Herman should not be questioned, more just saying his resume absolutely blows Hawkins' resume out of the water.

From what I hear Herman is a genuinely charismatic guy that people can't get enough of. Hawkins on the other hand...

I'm glad to be at the point where we know MM can turn around a program and are just waiting to see if he can sustain his success.

Back