What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

I'm totally speculating here, but could Briles end up in Eugene? They've got the talent to run that scheme....

Everyone keeps throwing out Herman, but I think with a potential Big12 bid for Houston, it would make sense for him to stay. Guy is obviously a very good recruiter and knows Texas well. He won't have the pressure at Houston that he would have at any of the other Schools. Hell, as you can see, one mediocre season at LSU gets you fired. Houston has shown that they are willing to pay to keep him. If I were him, I would stay with Houston provided they get a Big 12 invite.
My thoughts exactly. I could see him jumping at the UT job, or maybe Bama or some other hyper-elite gig. I don't see him at Bailer, or even LSU, for that matter.

I'm totally speculating here, but could Briles end up in Eugene? They've got the talent to run that scheme....
It all depends on what the NCAA decides they want to do with him. If he has a "Show Cause" hanging over his head.

I'd be surprised. Oregon is willing to do anything to win, they have shown that, but the community still hasn't gone full SEC/SWC in terms of ignoring morals entirely for a winner.

They won't let recruiting violations, academic cheating, etc. get in the way of winning but getting a rape culture past the general public up there might be a bit much.

Briles probably ends up in the SE part of the country.

Briles is a Texas boy, and he isn't going anywhere far from the Lone Star State. Look for him to land a gig in TX or a neighboring state (i.e. Oklahoma when they can Stoops).

My thoughts exactly. I could see him jumping at the UT job, or maybe Bama or some other hyper-elite gig. I don't see him at Bailer, or even LSU, for that matter.
I agree with this more than pate's claim. I'm not really buying that there's no pressure staying at Houston in the Big 12. They're paying him $3 million a year and expectations will only grow from here.

Has Herman said anything about staying close to Texas? Obviously he has spent a lot of time there during his career, but he's from Ohio and went to school in SoCal. I think he'll just go to the best opportunity.

Anyone think Cryst could be in line for a big gig like LSU, USC, Texas, etc. after the season?
Good question. Chryst played at UW, and was also an assistant there for 7 years over 2 stints. Barry Alvarez hired him at least twice (once as an AD and once as a coach - possibly twice as a coach - 2005?).

I don't know if he considers UW home, but either way, he clearly has a much better working relationship with Alvarez, and that counts for a lot given what happened with the last two coaches.

Good question. Chryst played at UW, and was also an assistant there for 7 years over 2 stints. Barry Alvarez hired him at least twice (once as an AD and once as a coach - possibly twice as a coach - 2005?).

I don't know if he considers UW home, but either way, he clearly has a much better working relationship with Alvarez, and that counts for a lot given what happened with the last two coaches.
Yeah, I think UW might be his destination job. Similar to CU being Chev's if he were to ever get elevated to that position down the road.

Yeah, I think UW might be his destination job. Similar to CU being Chev's if he were to ever get elevated to that position down the road.
I will be interesting to watch Chev's career choices as we move forward. He is clearly a difference maker. Not everybody has the make up of Brian Cabral. Can we keep Chev here without promoting him before he is ready for it?

I will be interesting to watch Chev's career choices as we move forward. He is clearly a difference maker. Not everybody has the make up of Brian Cabral. Can we keep Chev here without promoting him before he is ready for it?
Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meachem with TCU have been "Co-OCs" for 3 years. Assuming this year goes as we all hope it does, and the team continues to trend upwards in 2017 and 2018, I think we could easily see the same dynamic with Chev and Lindgren working for 3-4 years before it's time for one or the other to move on to a higher position. I know I'm probably being naive, but I think Chev is in this for the long haul and will do everything in his power to bring the program back to prominence before bolting for a "big time" opportunity.

Chev is in year one of his OC promotion. It will take a little bit more time before he draws serious interest from other programs.

Agreed with both of these posts. I am thinking more long term under the wild assumption his impact continues on its current trajectory.
It's obviously fun to speculate, but consider 4-5 years down the road, and whether MM will even be here? Even if CU starts winning 8-9 or 10 games/year, would MM jump for a "bigger" job once JMac is gone? At that point, Chev could very well have the experience and be in line to take the reigns at HC. Who knows... There are so many different scenarios that could happen in the next 2-4 years that is hard to even speculate. Regardless, I trust that Rick George recognizes the impact that certain Asst coaches have had under MM and will do everything in his power to keep them around, if possible.

I think Herman would be wise to consider Gary Patterson's case as an analog to his- GP has stuck around TCU and built them from the C-USA to the MWC to the Big East and now the B12, and he makes top 15 coaching money now that they're in a major conference. More than that, though, is his job security. The dude is a legend at TCU; he has a statue at the stadium where they play games. He isn't getting fired by TCU for anything less than a complete and ongoing trainwreck- they went 7-6 and 4-8 in their back to back first seasons in the B12 and I don't recall hearing so much as a peep that TCU was looking to replace him, and he has a contract through 2022.

Compare that to Les Miles, who got fired after "only" winning 9 games last year. In my opinion, if Houston can jump to the Big12 he'd be foolish to go anywhere else unless he's going to be paid a top 2-3 salary. In that way, Houston has a TON riding on a promotion to the Big 12; I don't think they can afford him if they don't.

Reactions: aik
I'm going to say that Ed Orgeron will retain the LSU job at year end. With the right coordinators, he could be something down there.

And I don't get the love for the Mad Hatter. Dude, how many years in a row does your offense have to suck before you make adjustments? At least Stoops is trying new things on O.

I'm going to say that Ed Orgeron will retain the LSU job at year end. With the right coordinators, he could be something down there.

And I don't get the love for the Mad Hatter. Dude, how many years in a row does your offense have to suck before you make adjustments? At least Stoops is trying new things on O.
Orgeron seems like the exact opposite of what LSU needs.

I think Herman would be wise to consider Gary Patterson's case as an analog to his- GP has stuck around TCU... More than that, though, is his job security. The dude is a legend at TCU; Compare that to Les Miles, who got fired after "only" winning 9 games last year... In that way, Houston has a TON riding on a promotion to the Big 12; I don't think they can afford him if they don't.
I'm calling it now - Houston does not get a Big 12 invite until AFTER Herman accepts another job in conference. It will be unwritten terms of extending the offer. Got to keep those new gringos down at the start and make them earn their keep!

Seems like Cowherd and Dan Patrick have different sources/pulses on USC so I wonder if Patrick will respond at all this week. That is pretty garbage of that person to leak that to Cowherd after just hiring Helton last year.

Seems like Cowherd and Dan Patrick have different sources/pulses on USC so I wonder if Patrick will respond at all this week. That is pretty garbage of that person to leak that to Cowherd after just hiring Helton last year.
Cowherd is in LA and DP is East Coast. Not sure how much that really matters, but I would say Cowherd probably has some local sources more tuned into SC.

Orgeron seems like the exact opposite of what LSU needs.
I would tend to agree with that. But I think LSU has been poorly coached for a long time. Miles considers himself an offensive guy and yet his offenses have been the most under-achieving offenses in the land for some time now. Cam Cameron is not a CFB OC.

I predict LSU plays free now, and their offense will come around a bit and the season salvaged to some extent or another. Then they retain Ed Orgeron who I don't personally believe in. Rinse and repeat!

Back