What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Head Coach Prediction Thread

None of you can predict the future.

I can.

9-4. Bowl win. ****ers.

MM will be back. I guess I'm okay with this. I think there is some small chance he can get to 6 wins and get the ball rolling next year. Definitely not holding my breath, though.

We have not won a single game that we were not expected to win, but we have lost games that we were expected to win. I don't see much of an improvement, if any this year. Defense is better, but Offense and Special Teams have regressed. We have won exactly two conference games in three years. This isn't acceptable progress in year 3.

Dont talk to Barrack Obama that way

Sounds like Rick George is really, really pissed. REALLY PISSED. This could get interesting. I'm not sure if he's "fire Mac" pissed or "Mac better make changes" pissed. But he will certainly have a very frank discussion with Mac and I, now, would not be surprised if he tested the waters. I think his biggest problem is the bottom line. If he did decide to make a change he'd have to sell it to Benson and Benson would tell him "show me the money." I'm not sure what the buy out situation is but it probably isn't optimal for making a change right now.

It'll also be interesting to see what Leavitt does. Will he throw his support toward Mac or will he look for the 4:10 to Yuma or other great college towns? After a year with Mac, is he still as positive that we are on the right track? What he does will be a good litmus test on Mac's ability to get it done.

Sounds like Rick George is really, really pissed. REALLY PISSED. This could get interesting. I'm not sure if he's "fire Mac" pissed or "Mac better make changes" pissed. But he will certainly have a very frank discussion with Mac and I, now, would not be surprised if he tested the waters. I think his biggest problem is the bottom line. If he did decide to make a change he'd have to sell it to Benson and Benson would tell him "show me the money." I'm not sure what the buy out situation is but it probably isn't optimal for making a change right now.

It'll also be interesting to see what Leavitt does. Will he throw his support toward Mac or will he look for the 4:10 to Yuma or other great college towns? After a year with Mac, is he still as positive that we are on the right track? What he does will be a good litmus test on Mac's ability to get it done.
What leads to you to say RG is "really, really pissed. REALLY PISSED"?

The largest financial issue right now is attendance. It's a huge hole in the budget now. RG knows this well. It definitely could mean change. Now is the time to invest, so long as you do it wisely. :)

OK, OK, I'll confess and you guys will rip me for it. Yeah, I'm an old fogie who still reads newspapers. I know, I know. No one reads newspapers anymore. But in my defense, I do read them on line. And, yeah, I did read the Kiszla column this morning so take what he says with a grain of salt because he sucks. And I do agree that he's a prick. But, to his credit, he was at the game in Utah and interviewed RG after the game. Here are some RG quotes:

"You know, we won four games. Not good enough, We’re 4-9. It’s just not good enough. We’ve got to get better.”

“Yep, I do,(have faith in Mac) ” George replied. “But at 4-9, this is not a very good football team.”

“We should be sitting in a better place than we are today, but we’re not,” he said. “We’re 4-9, so now it’s time to look at what we’re doing and see where we’re at.”

“I think the facilities are helpful, and the facilities are on par with the best. And that’s part of it. The other thing is, we’ve got a great environment at CU. So there are a lot of positive things. But now we’ve got to start winning football games,”

Now, was RG seething when he said those things? Was "steam coming out of his ears?" No doubt, that is Kiszla hyperbole. Certainly he has an agenda to stir up controversy. But it isn't a stretch to believe that RG is very angry. He has to sell this program to boosters and he doesn't have much to sell right now. Reading between the lines, I think Mac will be back. But I also think Mac will be under immense pressure to make changes.

Last edited:

I alluded to this in another thread but 6-7 wins is a tall order for next year given the schedule and the fact that there's no obvious reason to expect much from the offense. It is easy to imagine an environment in which we win 4 games or perhaps 5 next year and the argument for retaining MM is then identical to the one for retaining him this year, with the added ingredient of the large recruiting class.

Frankly it seems to me that keeping him around for 2016 entails one of the following two scenarios:

(1) giving the guy and his staff goals that they are frankly unlikely to achieve
(2) setting the table to bring him back for 2017 despite failing to make a bowl game.

Our schedule is hard next year. The only saving grace is that our conference road games are basically all no-hopers and we get some of the more winnable games at home. It is very easy to envision a three or four win campaign. We are almost certainly either 2-1 or 1-2 OOC.

I do not see the point of keeping the staff in either of the two scenarios I envisioned above. You are either asking them to do something in 2016 that they are unlikely to achieve, in which case it seems to make more sense to pull the trigger now, or you are setting the bar really, really low for on-field performance.

Edit: spelling, thanks.

Last edited:
You are giving potential head coaching candidates some reassurance that they will be given patience. For all we know, next year will be a great market to be looking for a head coach.

I eluded to this in another thread but 6-7 wins is a tall order for next year given the schedule and the fact that there's no obvious reason to expect much from the offense. It is easy to imagine an environment in which we win 4 games or perhaps 5 next year and the argument for retaining MM is then identical to the one for retaining him this year, with the added ingredient of the large recruiting class.

Frankly it seems to me that keeping him around for 2016 entails one of the following two scenarios:

(1) giving the guy and his staff goals that they are frankly unlikely to achieve
(2) setting the table to bring him back for 2017 despite failing to make a bowl game.

Our schedule is hard next year. The only saving grace is that our conference road games are basically all no-hopers and we get some of the more winnable games at home. It is very easy to envision a three or four win campaign. We are almost certainly either 2-1 or 1-2 OOC.

I do not see the point of keeping the staff in either of the two scenarios I envisioned above. You are either asking them to do something in 2016 that they are unlikely to achieve, in which case it seems to make more sense to pull the trigger now, or you are setting the bar really, really low for on-field performance.
I'm glad you escaped.

Best case scenario MMac tweets the staff for recruiting in time to add a couple more 4 star recruits we go 2-1 non conference and 5-4 in the PAC 12 with a mature team.
Worst case we drop the RMS and lose a few winnable PAC 12 games. If that happens RG can let MMac go and hire Leavitt as interim HC. Which may not be that bad a situation. For the record I'm hoping for the former. Let's go MMac it's time to start seeing results on the field and in recruiting.

I read the story. MM still going the all positivity route.
That did not escape me. At the same time, consider the source of the column. Kiszla will select the quotes he wants and paint them the way he wants to get the reaction he wants. I don't think Mac is happy at all. If nothing else, he's competitive. And just to give him at least some benefit of a doubt, this has, for sure, been a trying year for him both professionally and personally. So, take that for what it's worth in reading anything into an interview right after that game.

Just have to make sure we hang onto JL. I would imagine MM will be on a very short leash going into next year and as we've seen, early season firings are happening with frequency now.

That did not escape me. At the same time, consider the source of the column. Kiszla will select the quotes he wants and paint them the way he wants to get the reaction he wants. I don't think Mac is happy at all. If nothing else, he's competitive. And just to give him at least some benefit of a doubt, this has, for sure, been a trying year for him both professionally and personally. So, take that for what it's worth in reading anything into an interview right after that game.

That is all fair. But I hope he crafts a better message come Spring.

Why do people talk about how competitive Mike is? I don't think he is any more competitive than any CF coach. A lot of his actions tell me he isn't competitive enough.

This is the worst HC job in P5 and has been for a long time. If they get rid of MM, they'll be wading into the next bucket of MM-type (and lesser) resumes. Unless they could convince Leavitt to take the job, which would be great.

With MM, it's not a coaching problem. If he had a top 35 roster he'd be a "great coach". It's a talent problem.

This is the worst HC job in P5 and has been for a long time. If they get rid of MM, they'll be wading into the next bucket of MM-type (and lesser) resumes. Unless they could convince Leavitt to take the job, which would be great.

With MM, it's not a coaching problem. If he had a top 35 roster he'd be a "great coach". It's a talent problem.

Regardless of whether Leavitt would be a better fit to lead the Buffs than MacIntyre, it just doesn't seem to work that way. You never see a head coach get fired in the offseason and an assistant immediatey promoted unless there's a scandal that forces the university's hand (Illinois), or you're the San Francisco 49ers. If the short list of dream candidates with a track record of winning at high levels and recruiting does not bear fruit we will see Mac at the helm to begin 2016 and my hope is if there is not a strong start and attitude that clearly reflects they are out to win then the change is made quickly and Leavitt becomes our interim HC with the thought that what he can do will be an audition to see if that interim tag gets removed for 2017.

It was the worst P5 job. Rick George and facilities have changed that. Bad team =/= Bad job

Back