What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Head Coach Prediction Thread

I wonder how many bowl eligible teams the B1G, ACC and SEC would have if they played 9 conference games a year. Then there's the Big 12 not having to go though a conference championship game. Personally, if I was on the NCAA committee I'd pretty much eliminate any team from consideration that didn't play at least 10 games against P5 competition.

I look at Stanford playing 9 conference games + a championship game along with playing @Northwestern and vs Notre Dame with their "cupcake" being an unexpectedly down UCF team. Them being ranked behind Ohio State is an absolute joke to me.

Buckeye schedule:

VA Tech, Hawaii, N Illinois, W Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan

They played no one even sniffing the Top 25 until November and then split those games. It's a joke for them to be at #6.

Or we can look at Baylor.

SMU, Lamar, Rice, Texas Tech, Kansas, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (this week).

Again, they played no one even sniffing the Top 25 until November and then lost 2/3. It's a joke for them to be at #12. Shouldn't be in the Top 20.

I'm not convinced there's a strong correlation between 9 game conference schedules and SoS, as seems to be regularly implied on this board.

Refer to Sagaran's 2015 SoS ranking Overall, looking at only the top 10 schedules, the strongest correlating factor is being a member of the XII; membership in the other 9 game conference doesn't seem to do much for a team's SoS.

Looking at the 2015 top 25 SoS's:
9 game conferences:
  • XII ==> 5
  • Pac ==> 7
8 game conferences:
  • ACC ==> 4
  • B1G ==> 1
  • SEC ==> 7
No conference:
Of course Notre Dame makes the top 25 schedules in the country, with zero conference games.

2015 conclusion: Less than 50% of the 2015 college football teams with top 25 SoS's come from conferences with 9 game conference schedules.

Looking at the 2014 top 25 SoS's:

9 game conferences:
  • XII ==> 2
  • Pac ==> 2
8 game conferences:
  • ACC ==> 8
  • B1G ==> 4
  • SEC ==> 8
  • C-USA ==> 1
No conference:
Again, Notre Dame makes the top 25 schedules in the country, with zero conference games.

2014 conclusion: 16% of the 2014 college football teams with top 25 SoS's come from conferences with 9 game conference schedules.

Your conclusions fail to account for some obvious counting issues

Yeah. What I read is that 12 of the 24 toughest schedules by teams in conferences came from the P5 conferences that play 9 conference games from a field of 22 possible teams... and the other 12 came from among the 42 teams that play 8-game conference schedules.

Back