1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 5th Season of Allbuffs Fantasy Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by JimmyBuff, Jan 29, 2014.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Just getting the thread up. I think Yahoo puts up Fantasy Baseball Leagues after the Super Bowl. Same rules as last year, 5 keepers. Waiver claims that weren't drafted and want to be used as keepers are 12th rounders. Keepers used for the 2nd straight year forfeit a draft pick by either 10 rounds or by half of where they were taken the year before whichever one is less. (Case in point, say you've had a 10th round keeper for last year and you want to use it again for 2014. You will forfeit a 5th round pick this year instead of a 10th rounder. If you have a 25th round keeper that you want to keep again you will forfeit a 15th round pick this year.)

I'm open to making this a 7 x 7 roto league if you want to add a new stat category. If not any interest we'll stay at 6 x 6.

We will have some open spots once we get everyone who had a team last year confirm they are playing this year.

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I'm in.

Just to confirm, we did decide that your keepers can't include your first round pick from last year, right?

3. JimmyBuff

Only if he was a keeper last year. You can use your keeper pick on your 1st rounder if you drafted a non keeper last year.

4. Junction

OK, I forgot about the keeper part of that. Thanks.

5. JimmyBuff

League has been renewed. Everyone in the league should be getting an email.

6. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

7. Junction

8. HolyBuff

HolyBuff Member

I'm game again

9. mdelpizzo_1

How are we handling multiple keepers signed as free agents? I'll have 2 maybe 3.

10. JimmyBuff

Starts with 12th round. If you have another than you forfeit 13th round. If you have another I'll go 11th round. (then if there were 4 I'd go 14th round)

11. mdelpizzo_1

Sounds bueno to me

12. JimmyBuff

Oh tentative day for the draft is 7 PM pacific time on March 16. That is a Sunday.

13. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

14. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

I'm trying to stay on top of the thread this year so there are no autodraft issues again...on second thought that worked out pretty well. I'm looking forward to defending my crown.

Tally-ho, I'm in!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  15. BuffTuba

How are we dealing with players who were drafted in 2013 but dropped then added as a free agent? I believe that it was similar to a regular FA add.

And if it was an odd numbered round do we round up or down? ie: 2013 rnd = 15, 2014 rnd = 7.5 (are they round 7 or 8?)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  16. JimmyBuff

Draft is gospel. You pick them up off waivers you can keep them as a keeper where they were drafted by the other team. If they weren't drafted you can keep them by forfeiting a 12th rounder.

Odd number I go with up first and then down for your second one.

17. Junction

For some reason, I was thinking that anybody signed after the draft would be considered a FA. Which would kind of make sense if the idea is to spread the talent around. Once they've been waived, everybody has had a shot at them again, regardless of when they were drafted before. But I looked back, and nothing really says either way... :huh:

18. BuffTuba

That was my thought as well junc but I think we discussed it in a previous thread. My thoughts are If there is someone you took a flier on for the future and occupied a roster spot for them then you should get a benefit from that but I will follow the rules that everyone agreed to as im having similar issues as a LM in another league.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

19. Junction

I went back and checked last year's thread, and what Jimmy said was "IF you want to keep guys that weren't drafted (waiver picks from last year) its worth a 12th round pick", which I guess doesn't really address guys that were drafted but ended up as waiver picks....

20. BuffTuba

I believe it was in a thread that was started around when Halliday was dropped. I can check when i get home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

21. JimmyBuff

My thinking on staying where they were drafted was because of season ending injuries and PED/steroid suspensions. I never set an IR spot for everyone's team like that so I didn't think it made sense to have people hold onto players that were already out for the season and take up roster space. We can change it starting this season if everyone wants me to add IR spots.

22. mdelpizzo_1

We have the DL spots, if you want to keep someone then just hold them on a DL spot. IIRC we had 3 spots, that's plenty.

23. BuffTuba

We have the NA spots and the DL spots. I dropped a prospect and used an NA spot. I could have not done that but decided it was worth the risk for the draft value for this year.

Agreed. This is why I give 3 DL spots in my other keeper league. It's a risk reward issue but its up to the manager. Ie: I have Harvey in that league and I moved him to my DL and kept others who were on the DL off at the time just so I could have the chance to keep him.

24. JimmyBuff

Going to have to change the date of the draft. March 16 I'll be in Vegas and I'll be on an airplane the following Sunday. Anyone up for a weekday draft during the week of March 10-14? I was thinking a Wednesday or a Thursday night at 8 PM PST?

25. mdelpizzo_1

I'm good with that, Thursdays work the best for me.

26. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Draft timing is perfect for me.

Regarding FA pickups, I think it's got to be where they were originally drafted. I'm sure there's someone who picked up Braun on the last day of FA and was hoping to have him on his team as a 12th round keeper pick this year (sounds like something I would have tried), but I'm not sure allowing moves like that are in the best interest of having a competitive league.

We want things to be as close as possible. People lose interest when their team is out of it even with the keeper stuff.

27. JimmyBuff

As of now CU is the 6th seed for the Pac 12 tourney which means they will play at 8:30 PST on Wednesday and if they win the next night they will play at the same time. We might have to go to Tuesday of that week if CU finishes 6th in the league. (if they are 5th they will play in the afternoon). I'll set it as of now for Thursday at 8:00 PST but it might be moved to Tuesday so its not the same time as the CU bball game.

28. JimmyBuff

Now that we have 9 teams I will open up the league for new members. If you want an invite send me a PM with your yahoo email link.

29. BuffTuba

Tuesday the 15th should work for me. Anytime after 7 PST is preferred.

I'm the one picked up Braun. I did it the week he was dropped and I happened to have the #1 waiver. I was willing to take the chance on him at a lower draft pick and have him occupy a roster spot for the rest of the season. If I had known we were doing draft value I probably wouldn't have used my waiver claim on him. Personally, is see it as high risk, high reward but I'm sure others do not.

30. mdelpizzo_1

I agree with you Tuba, I did the same thing with Strasburg. It shouldn't matter where these guys were drafted originally, this part of the strategy and has nothing to do with competitive integrity unless someone dumps their team the last week.